21-22 Opponent Tracking Thread

cabell

Insider
So I was looking at the conference rankings from last year. Sun Belt is lower than Conference USA? I didn't think ODU would be moving down... I may be wrong on multiple things. Was just thinking...

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
So I was looking at the conference rankings from last year. Sun Belt is lower than Conference USA? I didn't think ODU would be moving down... I may be wrong on multiple things. Was just thinking...
Conference USA is going to be much much lower this season than they were before the realignment began.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
Saw this on the SLU board:

Screenshot_20211028-151411_Chrome.jpg

Personally, I find it humorous that SLU fans think they're the most unfortunate fan base after Perkin's ACL. NVM that VCU already has 3 injuries of that magnitude this year, VCU was the only team to be DQd in the NCAA tournament (after avoiding any pauses all year), we've had 3 coaching changes in the past decade, that phantom foul against SFA, or that VCU has had many serious injuries to significant contributors such as Bri.

Most of SLUs gripes are about self inflicted issues like hiring crews or their players earning suspensions. I feel that events beyond the control of the team, such as injuries or COVID causing the NCAA to be cancelled when you have the NPOY (Dayton), are significantly more burdensome. Yes, losing Majerus was tragic, but that led to only one forced coaching change and Rick had been fighting heart problems for decades. sLU fans really need to get off their woe-is-me pedestal.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member

View attachment 9984

Personally, I find it humorous that SLU fans think they're the most unfortunate fan base after Perkin's ACL. NVM that VCU already has 3 injuries of that magnitude this year, VCU was the only team to be DQd in the NCAA tournament (after avoiding any pauses all year), we've had 3 coaching changes in the past decade, that phantom foul against SFA, or that VCU has had many serious injuries to significant contributors such as Bri.

Most of SLUs gripes are about self inflicted issues like hiring crews or their players earning suspensions. I feel that events beyond the control of the team, such as injuries or COVID causing the NCAA to be cancelled when you have the NPOY (Dayton), are significantly more burdensome. Yes, losing Majerus was tragic, but that led to only one forced coaching change and Rick had been fighting heart problems for decades. sLU fans really need to get off their woe-is-me pedestal.
Honestly, SLU really has had absolutely rotten luck over the past several years. Rick Majerus and Ford Stuen dying (the latter suddenly), injuries wrecking a season where they were ranked #10 (until we crushed them at the Stu), etc. Dayton 2019-20 likely trumps all of that, though.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
Honestly, SLU really has had absolutely rotten luck over the past several years. Rick Majerus and Ford Stuen dying (the latter suddenly), injuries wrecking a season where they were ranked #10 (until we crushed them at the Stu), etc. Dayton 2019-20 likely trumps all of that, though.
Hope I didn't come off as discounting Rick or Ford. Both were tragedies. But I don't think either fundamentally altered SLU's programs trajectory. SLU hired Rick knowing his health issues and likely had anticipated that he wouldn't be coaching too much longer.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
It doesn't matter if we beat them twice or thrice if that's what it takes to add to their misery.

View attachment 9984

SLU fan here, coming in peace. I'm sure every fan base who goes through tough times like injuries, unexpected coaching incidents, etc. thinks that they are the most unfortunate fan base out there. Personally, I was devastated on behalf of VCU fans when I saw the Baldwin and Watkins injuries. I was probably even more bummed when you guys were robbed of your NCAA game in such a heartbreaking fashion (a game I felt confident you'd win). I don't think it's a competition for who has worse luck or fortune, but I know for sure that it sucks how both teams had seasons derailed by COVID. Javonte Perkins, arguably the best player in the A-10, getting injured isn't good for anybody in the league, and neither is losing talents like Watkins and Baldwin. I still think both VCU and SLU are still talented enough despite the injuries to make a lot of noise this year.

I do think you can't blame SLU fans for feeling a bit snakebit this past decade. Sure, some of the issues were the fault of the AD and others were because of disciplinary problems. But that doesn't really change how bummed you are as a fan when your team's season gets derailed. Losing Ford Stuen and then having our best player in recent memory (who stayed an extra year to play in front of his family) go down with a devastating injury is going to be a lot of adversity for the team to overcome.

Lastly I'll just say that I have a lot of respect for the VCU program and consider them an ally of SLU in the league, as both programs are truly invested in their basketball programs. I watched both Stockard and Kern play a ton in high school and think both of them are really good players and also quality human beings who represent St. Louis well (you got a great one in Kern, much better player than recruiting services had him pegged at). I'm also a Denver Nuggets fan and am loving having Bizzy Bones on the squad. I hope VCU has another good year, despite the two teams you guys might have to fall short against the Billikens.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
SLU fan here, coming in peace. I'm sure every fan base who goes through tough times like injuries, unexpected coaching incidents, etc. thinks that they are the most unfortunate fan base out there. Personally, I was devastated on behalf of VCU fans when I saw the Baldwin and Watkins injuries. I was probably even more bummed when you guys were robbed of your NCAA game in such a heartbreaking fashion (a game I felt confident you'd win). I don't think it's a competition for who has worse luck or fortune, but I know for sure that it sucks how both teams had seasons derailed by COVID. Javonte Perkins, arguably the best player in the A-10, getting injured isn't good for anybody in the league, and neither is losing talents like Watkins and Baldwin. I still think both VCU and SLU are still talented enough despite the injuries to make a lot of noise this year.

I do think you can't blame SLU fans for feeling a bit snakebit this past decade. Sure, some of the issues were the fault of the AD and others were because of disciplinary problems. But that doesn't really change how bummed you are as a fan when your team's season gets derailed. Losing Ford Stuen and then having our best player in recent memory (who stayed an extra year to play in front of his family) go down with a devastating injury is going to be a lot of adversity for the team to overcome.

Lastly I'll just say that I have a lot of respect for the VCU program and consider them an ally of SLU in the league, as both programs are truly invested in their basketball programs. I watched both Stockard and Kern play a ton in high school and think both of them are really good players and also quality human beings who represent St. Louis well (you got a great one in Kern, much better player than recruiting services had him pegged at). I'm also a Denver Nuggets fan and am loving having Bizzy Bones on the squad. I hope VCU has another good year, despite the two teams you guys might have to fall short against the Billikens.
Now I feel a bit like an ass, but thank you for the thoughtful post. Fortunately, we have not had to deal with deaths within the program like SLU, which must be an emotional rollercoaster. I just get a bit frustrated when other teams, mostly Richmond and GMU, blame their lack of success on things that most programs experience.

I hope that SLU can rally and get some top 25 scalps in OOC.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Losing Ford Stuen and then having our best player in recent memory (who stayed an extra year to play in front of his family) go down with a devastating injury is going to be a lot of adversity for the team to overcome.
That fact (about Perkins) makes that loss really hurt. Perkins wanted one more year to play in front of his family and was a likely POY candidate. I really appreciate the insight.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Hope I didn't come off as discounting Rick or Ford. Both were tragedies. But I don't think either fundamentally altered SLU's programs trajectory. SLU hired Rick knowing his health issues and likely had anticipated that he wouldn't be coaching too much longer.

Evidently, you don't remember the Jim Crews era after Rick Majerus died. Crews following Majerus most definitely set the SLU program back several years. I would equate it to Mike Pollio following JD Barnett at VCU. How did that work out for VCU.

Violet Ram

Elite Member
Evidently, you don't remember the Jim Crews era after Rick Majerus died. Crews following Majerus most definitely set the SLU program back several years. I would equate it to Mike Pollio following JD Barnett at VCU. How did that work out for VCU.
I do remember, but my point was that Crews was likely there as a replacement for Rick, and that SLU was able to act deliberately. I don't think picking a bad coach is some 'out of our control' circumstance. As such, Crews' lack of success isn't some 'adversity'.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I do remember, but my point was that Crews was likely there as a replacement for Rick, and that SLU was able to act deliberately. I don't think picking a bad coach is some 'out of our control' circumstance. As such, Crews' lack of success isn't some 'adversity'.

Crews was NOT there as a likely replacement to Majerus. Crews failed horribly at Evansville and Army before becoming an assistant coach at SLU. Majerus had the SLU program on an upward trajectory and Majerus passing away was out of SLU's control. And your original comment was whether "either fundamentally altered SLU's program history". Majerus passing away did fundamentally alter SLU's program history. Just ask any SLU fan.