22-23 Opponent Tracking Thread

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I know he is not coaching, but since he will be there any way is there a way that we can get him to do the post game press conferences?
"Winningest Coach", how often do you find one of those?
My initial thought was will ODU hire him if they fire Jeff Jones after next season.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
I am actually surprised he wanted to return to ODU. But AA may be correct about ODU considering him as a replacement for Jones after a test year back at ODU. And I think the ODU alumni and boosters would be receptive considering he did a very good job there until football came in and turned Blaine into a shell of a man and resulted in his firing. He is only 64 yo.

BigE

Elite Member

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
ODU could do worse if the re-hired BT.
A lot worse. When BT was at UC Irvine, they went 31-6, made their second NCAA tournament ever, and got their first tournament win in school history over #18 ranked Kansas State. Considering UC Irvine was not the same after he left, I really feel like he had an impact.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
A lot worse. When BT was at UC Irvine, they went 31-6, made their second NCAA tournament ever, and got their first tournament win in school history over #18 ranked Kansas State. Considering UC Irvine was not the same after he left, I really feel like he had an impact.
And honestly ODU hasn't been the same since he left either. I'm sure the concentration on football is part of that, but he seemed to be a good fit for ODU and the community.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

FYI - Blaine Taylor was the assistant coach at UC Irvine. Taylor left UC Irvine after the 2019-20 season. UC Irvine went 18-9 and made it to the Big West Championship game the year after he left, and 15-10 this last year. The 2018-19 year was definitely an "outlier" year for UC Irvine regarding the degree of success they have had in basketball.

I think you are giving Blaine way more credit for UC Irvine's success than he deserves. That would be like giving Will Wade or Mike Rhoades the credit over Shaka for VCU's success.