22-23 Opponent Tracking Thread

Yeah I mean UVA's shown several times they'll do a H&H with us. But they're not gonna sign on to do it for 6, 8, 10+ years in a row like Fodu. Even though just about every time except for maybe 1 in the last decade that we've played UVA... they've usually always been close games.

I can't figure out what is in it for U.Va? However, once Green City is complete, U.Va vs. VCU (with equal distribution of tix) would make sense for both sides.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I can't figure out what is in it for U.Va? However, once Green City is complete, U.Va vs. VCU (with equal distribution of tix) would make sense for both sides.
Honestly I think Bennett does it cause he likes competition... He knows VCU more often than not is in the hunt for the NCAA Tournament at the end of the season & more often than not we are at or near the Top of the A10. Not to mention the fact, the games are usually always competitive & both teams always bring a lot of fans no matter where the game is at.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

VCU and UVa have played a closed scrimmage every year for the last several years. I think Bennett has a good relationship with the VCU staff. Kyle Getter has been on his staff for quite a few years now.

Yeah I mean UVA's shown several times they'll do a H&H with us. But they're not gonna sign on to do it for 6, 8, 10+ years in a row like Fodu. Even though just about every time except for maybe 1 in the last decade that we've played UVA... they've usually always been close games.

Bennett has publicly stated he likes playing non conference VA schools especially on the road. He sees it as a great in state challenge. It’s why they scheduled JMU.

we'll see if it holds true, doesn't really matter who is deciding to stop the series, if indeed they are.

There's not much incentive in it for us to keep scheduling them. They went the football route and their basketball program went to poop. That was their choice.

There's not much incentive in it for us to keep scheduling them. They went the football route and their basketball program went to poop. That was their choice.
disappointing that ODU basketball has slid from a top 125 team to a near 200 ranked team and understand the perspective of many that say it doesn't help our resume
that said I would say this has been the one consistent in-state game we play (good times and bad times) and while ODU is down for what seems like a decade (in comparison to VCU) I think we should continue - the day may come when ODU basketball is back to a top 125 or top 75 team - all it takes is the right coach
if we worry about the resume just eliminate one of the buy games where we play a team with a 250+ NET (we also save around $75k in expenses in not having to pay for a game

RESRam

Insider
Bennett has publicly stated he likes playing non conference VA schools especially on the road. He sees it as a great in state challenge. It’s why they scheduled JMU.
I believe I recall him indicating it was a function of the difficulty his dad experienced, while head coach at Wisconsin Green Bay, scheduling top schools in Wisconsin. So when his dad, Dick, became head coach at Wisconsin, he, his dad, made a point of scheduling Wisconsin teams from “lesser” conferences.

It's called "Do Unto Others" ... Bennett's got the right idea .... VCU should follow suit and pack its bags for trips to JMU, Longwood, Radford, Liberty, Hampton and Norfolk State .... "great in-state challenges" for the Rams .... turning on the "way back machine," U.Va. first played at JMU so Ralph Sampson could perform in his hometown of Harrisonburg. Terrific game - JMU missed a shot to win at end of regulation. with that in mind, I'm pushing AD Mr. Ed to schedule games next season at Varina High (Billups Day) and St. Christopher's (Henderson).

Last edited:

BradRamFan

Elite Member
If true, the ODU fans can hardly be angry about this. After all, with the move to the sunbelt, they are now playing in a basketball conference that is even lower ranked than the CAA. Not to mention they continue to have a crappy team. That's two strikes against them right there. Plus they just hired back Blaine. Well, that's strike three and you are out!
But seriously....basketball-wise the Sunbelt is a low rated conference and ODU's bball team has not done well the last couple of years. So to play them is a lose-lose for us.
And if ODU is not playing any Va A10 team there has to be something additional going on.
It is a bit sad as ODU is probably one of our oldest rivalry school. But they have put their money down on football (to the detriment of their basketball program) while we have attempted to make moves that strengthen and improve our top program which is basketball.

VCU74

Elite Member
If true, the ODU fans can hardly be angry about this. After all, with the move to the sunbelt, they are now playing in a basketball conference that is even lower ranked than the CAA. Not to mention they continue to have a crappy team. That's two strikes against them right there. Plus they just hired back Blaine. Well, that's strike three and you are out!
But seriously....basketball-wise the Sunbelt is a low rated conference and ODU's bball team has not done well the last couple of years. So to play them is a lose-lose for us.
And if ODU is not playing any Va A10 team there has to be something additional going on.
It is a bit sad as ODU is probably one of our oldest rivalry school. But they have put their money down on football (to the detriment of their basketball program) while we have attempted to make moves that strengthen and improve our top program which is basketball.

“… Plus they just hired back Blaine. Well, that's strike three and you are out!…”

I can’t agree with this, sorry.

Martelli if you have to ask why, but whatevs….

BradRamFan

Elite Member
“… Plus they just hired back Blaine. Well, that's strike three and you are out!…”

I can’t agree with this, sorry.
That part was a joke. The part about dropping down to the Sunbelt and the state of their team was not.