22-23 Opponent Tracking Thread

disappointing that ODU basketball has slid from a top 125 team to a near 200 ranked team and understand the perspective of many that say it doesn't help our resume
that said I would say this has been the one consistent in-state game we play (good times and bad times) and while ODU is down for what seems like a decade (in comparison to VCU) I think we should continue - the day may come when ODU basketball is back to a top 125 or top 75 team - all it takes is the right coach
if we worry about the resume just eliminate one of the buy games where we play a team with a 250+ NET (we also save around $75k in expenses in not having to pay for a game

Yeah I'm not a fan of the 250+ NET games either. ACC, BIG 12 teams can play those games bc their in conference games more than make up for SOS. Ours doesn't.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I'm hit or miss on this. On one hand they have recently been a bad team that does nothing for us if we win & hurts us if we lose..... but on the flipside.... the years we get them at odu, especially on the weekend... gives me a reason to go down there & see some of my friends & even go to the beach for a little bit.

My question is... if we do in fact get rid of them or they get rid of us.... Who do we replace them with? It would be nice to have a yearly OOC game to count on. And no way we are gonna get UVA, VA Tech, West Virginia, Villanova, any of the big NC schools or even G'Town or Maryland to commit to us yearly.

We may get lucky & get a H&H with UVA every once in a while... but nothing consistent for as long as odu has been the last decade or the way ur was while we were in the CAA & they were in A10.

So losing the odu series, while it may be more beneficial to our resume, it would suck not having a consistent OOC game to look forward to unless we are able to replace it.
We’re not gonna get a yearly thing with UVA, but we will get a H&H with them very soon.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Ace will need to figure out how to keep Collins from getting past him. Dude seemed to go wherever he wanted against us last game of the regular season.
That’s more of a function of the defense Ace is being asked to play. It’s a coaching issue more than a player thing.

ODU has clearly shown their priority is football now. I guess they figure going 8-4 and landing a spot in the Famous Idaho Potatoes Bowl is worth sacrificing wrestling and turning once-proud men's basketball into an afterthought.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
That’s more of a function of the defense Ace is being asked to play. It’s a coaching issue more than a player thing.
We can (SHOULD) hire Bri for the coaching team, Assistant Coach/Defensive Coordinator. We want the best we need to hire the best.
Bri is the BEST. He could (WOULD) create absolute MONSTERS. #IBrilieve

80sRam

Elite Member
We can (SHOULD) hire Bri for the coaching team, Assistant Coach/Defensive Coordinator. We want the best we need to hire the best.
Bri is the BEST. He could (WOULD) create absolute MONSTERS. #IBrilieve
Not suggesting Bri wouldn't be valuable addition to the coaching staff, but what made him the best can't be coached. You either have that kinda dawg in you, or you don't.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Not suggesting Bri wouldn't be valuable addition to the coaching staff, but what made him the best can't be coached. You either have that kinda dawg in you, or you don't.
Especially at the Late HS level going into College Level.

You might be able to coach that kind of play & tenacity to a younger player... but by the time they are in HS & getting ready for college.... their style of play is already pretty much determined.

Mercury

Elite Member
ODU has clearly shown their priority is football now. I guess they figure going 8-4 and landing a spot in the Famous Idaho Potatoes Bowl is worth sacrificing wrestling and turning once-proud men's basketball into an afterthought.

ODU football isn't good enough to go 8-4 and get the Potato bowl. Their football team is just as bad as the basketball team. They bought the dream and now have to live with the reality.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
That and Bri has/has the quickest hands on D I have ever seen. He simply did things other people can't do, at least not without fouling.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
ODU football isn't good enough to go 8-4 and get the Potato bowl. Their football team is just as bad as the basketball team. They bought the dream and now have to live with the reality.
You might be a little surprised next season. This past season they were very bad, switched QBs mid season and won their last 5 games before losing a very competitive game to Tulsa in the Myrtle Beach Bowl. Also know they have been signing some pretty good local kids the last few years, though the best one got away (my high school's QB who ended up at Kansas).