22-23 Opponent Tracking Thread

Havoc City

Elite Member
NCAA should ban "buy games," which is little more than prostitution in sneakers. I contend a school should be allowed to play anyone they want, but the game must be returned to the opposing campus (or nearby it) within a reasonable time frame. What this would do is force, or at least encourage, schools to schedule comparable opponents for home and away. VCU is on the right track with Temple/Vandy/Penn State/ODU. We need more Temples, home and away, and less cheeseburgers, aka Radfords, at The Stu only.
If the NCAA did that, teams in the SWAC, MEAC, and other one-bid leagues would have to shut down their athletics programs. Buy games are what keeps those programs afloat.

Ramlove81

Elite Member

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
If the NCAA did that, teams in the SWAC, MEAC, and other one-bid leagues would have to shut down their athletics programs. Buy games are what keeps those programs afloat.

Personally, I think there are too many D1 programs. There are over 350 D1 basketball programs now. If you have to play 8-10 OOC games on the road in order to pay your bills, then maybe you shouldn't be competing at the D1 level.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Personally, I think there are too many D1 programs. There are over 350 D1 basketball programs now. If you have to play 8-10 OOC games on the road in order to pay your bills, then maybe you shouldn't be competing at the D1 level.
Moving up to D1 or just being in a D1 program can bring in other monies to a university in the form of alumni donations (to the general fund) and it can boost applications and student numbers which benefit the school. Even if a lowly D1 program wins their weak conference, they get to go to the dance while the conference pulls in over $300,000....some of which goes to the school. Plus there may be a conference tournament payout depending on attendance, TV, sponsorship and ad revenue.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Strongly disagree not with the what but with the why

NCAA should ban "buy games," which is little more than prostitution in sneakers.
Don't share your view about buy games.
They are essential for many schools to help balance basketball budgets and sometimes contribute to supporting the other athletic programs

As an example a home game for Coppin State during non conference schedule is not going to generate $80 k in revenue that a buy game at Syracuse would generate (for each $80k that pays an assistant or two salaries or a maybe one and a half full scholarships)
Syracuse playing at home probably generates them $200-300K in total revenue per game -so they make Buck too!
(in 19-20 fiscal year VCU paid out guarantees of $633,000 for men's basketball to buy teams to come to the STU - 20-21 the number during Covid pandemic environment of limited fans etc dropped to $195,000)

if you really want reform to Athletics - stop forcing schools to operate 14+ athletic teams to be in NCAA or specific conferences (many of which require members to have even more athletic teams) - Below the P5 level all those teams lose big bucks every year that force athletic depts/school administrators to come up with the best possible ways to fund those deficits

At VCU the only program that makes a profit most years is Men's Basketball

even with that, it currently requires in the vicinity of $23 million in SUBSIDY (student fees) to cover the deficits VCU runs by being required to operate the other sports - (my solution is only require schools to maintain compliance with Title IX - at VCU I would drop teams to 6 in total - one per season M&W Soccer, M&W Basketball and M baseball and W Softball (yeah I know we don't offer but this region is a fertile ground for this sport)
At JMU the Subsidy is over $46 million in student fees (football is their loss leader currently - though they lose 2-3 million annually in men's basketball unlike VCU)

go rams (and yeah I know my view here is not ever likely to happen - athletic directors will fight any serious discussion of this)

Last edited:

Tell them to try Division II, where they belong, and have a reasonable chance for post-season success.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
giphy.gif

Its good for people to be able to share their true feelings regardless how much I disagree. I'm not sure how an entity legally making money bothers people.......except for the fact that maybe if say oh I don't know if VCU couldn't pay lets say Radford 85k that that would somehow magically mean we would have to play oh I don't Duke or someone along those lines 🤷‍♂️

Except Division II also has over 300 programs in it, and Division III has almost 440 programs.

I'll accept those figures .... only in Division II, they'be facing the likes of Virginia State instead of University of Virginia, Fayetteville State instead of Duke, Lincoln, Pa., instead of Villanova, and so on. The road to the top of Division II has many less bumps and there is a chance to reach the summit (unlike in D-1). If Virginia Union had been Division 1 (instead of winning D-2 NCAAs three times), it would have been just another road kill.