22-23 Opponent Tracking Thread

RonnieDobbs

Elite Member
Eamonn Brennan was asked about the A10 in a Q&A in The Atlantic.

https://theathletic.com/3341833/2022/05/31/thad-matta-butler-college-basketball/

Will the Atlantic 10 ever reclaim the glory days (i.e. sending at least 3 teams consistently to the tournament)? Or has the new NIL era simply made it harder for the “good” mid-major conferences? — Joe

I think the league is probably capable of it right now? All indications point to this young Dayton team being really good for a while; Anthony Grant looks like he’s building that program into a sustainable fixture. Davidson is almost always tournament-level good. And VCU is usually in the conversation, if not just obviously in the field. Throw in Saint Louis, which Travis Ford looks like he’s establishing, and there’s another semi-regular tournament candidate, and then take your pick of a few other programs that either have been good lately or have a chance to get good reasonably soon — your Richmonds, Rhode Islands, George Masons and George Washingtons — and there should be enough quality in the league to be hitting that over at least some of the time.

I do understand the concerns about long-term prospects, though. It is going to be hard for A-10 teams to build and rebuild in the new world, at least in ways that the biggest high-majors do. But it should be noted that the A-10 has had plenty of struggles in the past few seasons before NIL came, in ways that look a lot more like the usual fluctuations of league quality that happen over time. It could be on the upswing anyway, environment notwithstanding.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Eamonn Brennan was asked about the A10 in a Q&A in The Atlantic.

https://theathletic.com/3341833/2022/05/31/thad-matta-butler-college-basketball/
Davidson… almost always
VCU… usually

I’m sure I’m nitpicking, but “almost always” sounds to be at least on par with if not better than “usually.”

Since 2010, VCU has made 9 NCAA Tournaments, with 7 being as an at-large.

Since 2010, Davidson has made 5 NCAA Tournaments, with 2 being as an at-large.

There’s no comparison between the programs.

Ramdog

Elite Member
Davidson… almost always
VCU… usually

I’m sure I’m nitpicking, but “almost always” sounds to be at least on par with if not better than “usually.”

Since 2010, VCU has made 9 NCAA Tournaments, with 7 being as an at-large.

Since 2010, Davidson has made 5 NCAA Tournaments, with 2 being as an at-large.

There’s no comparison between the programs.
And we kicked their baseball team all over their own diamond for good measure

Sorry, but if Davidson is among the A10's Flagship programs, there is a very low ceiling on the conference's post-season ambitions. We'll see if Loyola makes a difference.