22-23 Opponent Tracking Thread

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Is VCU playing?
well then I am in
I’ll be there. That doesn’t change the fact that I want to see good opponents. After what I pay for my donation and the ticket price, I’m not too excited to see any of the current OOC opponents other than maybe Vandy.

Mercury

Elite Member
I’ll be there. That doesn’t change the fact that I want to see good opponents. After what I pay for my donation and the ticket price, I’m not too excited to see any of the current OOC opponents other than maybe Vandy.
We all want to see good opponents but exciting name opponents historically have not wanted to come to the Stu.

Our home OOC has almost always been buy guy games mixed in with ODU every other year. Every once in a while we luck out with a UVA or Cincinnati but for the most part exciting names aren't coming here unless it's a buyout game.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
We all want to see good opponents but exciting name opponents historically have not wanted to come to the Stu.

Our home OOC has almost always been buy guy games mixed in with ODU every other year. Every once in a while we luck out with a UVA or Cincinnati but for the most part exciting names aren't coming here unless it's a buyout game.
I'm wondering if UVA will want to start a home and home with us next year.

VCU Heel

Elite Member

I know that it’s hard to get those game. It just doesn’t make me excited to keep dropping significant amounts of money to see the Kennesaw State’s and Navy’s of the world... especially if we keep missing the tournament.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I'm wondering if UVA will want to start a home and home with us next year.
I had heard we might have one starting this year at UVA, but nothing seems to have materialized yet.
A recent R-TD article said that it will not happen this season. I think it was in the article that Wayne wrote about dropping the ODU series.

Ramaholic

Elite Member
Like everyone, I love watching when we play ranked/ very good teams OOC. But I find it equally exciting if we start stacking up wins, albeit against a weak schedule. If we get to to be 8-2 or 9-2, then every game gets us closest to the top 25 and I get into that!
Now if we play a weak OOC and we start going 5-4, 6-4 ... then meh and I lose interest.

HBK

Elite Member
A recent R-TD article said that it will not happen this season. I think it was in the article that Wayne wrote about dropping the ODU series.
Mike said recently that they are in discussions with UVA. The earliest it could happen is next season and it would be the standard home & home we've done with UVA previously.

HBK

Elite Member
I know that it’s hard to get those game. It just doesn’t make me excited to keep dropping significant amounts of money to see the Kennesaw State’s and Navy’s of the world... especially if we keep missing the tournament.
If we can get Memphis to agree to a home & home that I know has/is being discussed, then that will change the perception of the schedule a bit.

The reality is most of us don't really know how good some of the teams on our non-conference schedule will be, particularly the teams coming to the Stu. I know I don't know anything at this point about Illinois State, Navy, Morgan State, etc. I assume Kennesaw State will be middle to bottom of the A-Sun, but I don't really know. Are they an older team? Did they get some good transfers into the program? I can't answer those questions.

The best thing we can do outside of scheduling Power 6 teams (Big East included) is to schedule teams who should be in the top 2-3 of their conference. The one caveat to that is a couple of cupcakes on the schedule never hurt anyone. In the end, I trust Jimmy and Mike to craft a schedule worthy of at-large consideration.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Mike said recently that they are in discussions with UVA. The earliest it could happen is next season and it would be the standard home & home we've done with UVA previously.
Also, though there have been talks, there will be no matchup between VCU and UVA on this year’s nonconference schedule either. The programs played a home-and-home series against each other in 2017 and 2018, and McLaughlin told the Times-Dispatch in 2018 that, “I think we’d both like to play again.”
“We’re not going to play this upcoming year but hopefully in the future,” Rhoades said Monday. “Hope we can get back to that series, because it’s a great game for both and for us to prepare for the A-10.”

Ramdog

Elite Member
When Green City opens, I hope we can push UVA to sign a 6+ year deal to do an alternating home-away-neutral series. In fact, VCU vs. UVA should be the first game ever played in that venue.
That would be a major money maker