22-23 Opponent Tracking Thread

Mercury

Elite Member
All four schools should be part of the equation, not just Temple and Memphis. There's plenty of room to also add a Wichita State and/or Drake.

That has nothing to do with my comment. I was replying to the "clearly they aren't having trouble scheduling home and homes" portion of @WillWeaverRVA 's post. I simply asked him which set of home and home slates he liked better. To which no reply was given.

I do think our schedule could be better but throwing our UR scheduling Drake to take a shot at the VCU schedule is pretty weak.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
That has nothing to do with my comment. I was replying to the "clearly they aren't having trouble scheduling home and homes" portion of @WillWeaverRVA 's post. I simply asked him which set of home and home slates he liked better. To which no reply was given.

I do think our schedule could be better but throwing our UR scheduling Drake to take a shot at the VCU schedule is pretty weak.
Honestly I'd rather have either Wichita or Drake over Temple based on last season's metrics but realistically it's a toss-up. Of course Memphis is really good.

HBK

Elite Member
Honestly I'd rather have either Wichita or Drake over Temple based on last season's metrics but realistically it's a toss-up. Of course Memphis is really good.
We have no idea how good these teams will be this year, and I always take preseason rankings with an entire bag of salt. Based on the rankings from college sports madness for 2022-2023, here is where those four teams rank now: Memphis-ranking not available yet, but probably top 40; Drake-66; Temple-81; Wichita State-106.

The Temple/Memphis duo appears to be better than the Drake/Wichita State duo at this stage. Again, take all preseason rankings with a grain (or bag) of salt.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
We have no idea how good these teams will be this year, and I always take preseason rankings with an entire bag of salt. Based on the rankings from college sports madness for 2022-2023, here is where those four teams rank now: Memphis-ranking not available yet, but probably top 40; Drake-66; Temple-81; Wichita State-106.

The Temple/Memphis duo appears to be better than the Drake/Wichita State duo at this stage. Again, take all preseason rankings with a grain (or bag) of salt.
I know Covid was used as an excuse, but we’ve had 2 teams back out of series in the middle. We lost a home game against Penn State and a road game against LSU. Richmond is getting their 2 good games at home first. We’re getting our on the road and will most likely get the return home game… though you never know these days how teams might wiggle out of a game.

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
All four schools should be part of the equation, not just Temple and Memphis. There's plenty of room to also add a Wichita State and/or Drake.

Since 2011:
VCU at-large bids = 6 (#1 nationally amongst non-P6 programs)
UR at-large bids = 0

Had we played and defeated Penn St, New Hampshire, and simply beaten Wagner (all at home) last yr, 2022 would’ve likely been at-large #7. 5 of 9 losses pre-Selection Sunday were sans Ace or Vince (18-4 with them together in the lineup). 2015 would’ve been at-large #8 had we lost to Dayton in the A-10 final.

Except for Gonzaga, no non-P6 program schedules (and then executes) better than VCU to best position itself for at-large consideration on Selection Sunday (balancing an impressive won-loss record with schedule rigor and metrics). This year is no exception.

Go take a peek at annual OOC SOS/RPI, Conf SOS/RPI, and Overall SOS/RPI/NET since 2011 for all non-P6 programs.

Every year, the A-10 gives VCU a very challenging (in many cases, the toughest) conference slate because the Rams are perennial at-large bid contenders. Smart move by the conference. VCU schedules the OOC accordingly. It’s called “balance.”
Game sequencing and spacing are important. Proper “Home/Away/Neutral” mix is also important.

Summary: VCU schedules strategically, analytically, intelligently, opportunistically, and most important, realistically. Note: Factored into their decision-making is the business/revenue realities (# of home games, paying the bills, etc).

VCU’s 31-game 2022-23 slate provides plenty of opportunity/challenge/rigor. 23+ wins on Selection Sunday and we’ll almost assuredly be dancing (as has been the case since 2009).

HBK

Elite Member
I know Covid was used as an excuse, but we’ve had 2 teams back out of series in the middle. We lost a home game against Penn State and a road game against LSU. Richmond is getting their 2 good games at home first. We’re getting our on the road and will most likely get the return home game… though you never know these days how teams might wiggle out of a game.
LSU never wanted the games. They were forced into it by contract, as you know, so I'm not surprised they backed out. Penn State surprised me by canceling. I hope we got paid for their cancellation. I'll have to find out.

I don't think Temple and Memphis will back out, but as you say, "you never know how these teams might wiggle out of a game".

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Since 2011:
VCU at-large bids = 6 (#1 nationally amongst non-P6 programs)
UR at-large bids = 0

Had we played and defeated Penn St, New Hampshire, and simply beaten Wagner (all at home) last yr, 2022 would’ve likely been at-large #7. 5 of 9 losses pre-Selection Sunday were sans Ace or Vince (18-4 with them together in the lineup). 2015 would’ve been at-large #8 had we lost to Dayton in the A-10 final.

First off we've seen you post this nonsense before.... Second of all I highly double just winning those 3 games would've taken us from a 3 seed in the NIT all the way up to a 7 seed. Penn State & NH were not that great that they woulda bumped us that high & sure getting rid of a terrible loss woulda helped..... but lets not forget... We also lost to Chattanooga at home (idc if they won their conference or not.... we shoulda beat them). We got wrecked at St. Bonaventure by 20 (and we had both Vince, Ace, Nunn, Curry for that game.... so next excuse).

We got trounced by Dayton at home by 30. Now sure we didn't have Vince for that game... but guess what? We beat Dayton at their place without Nunn & Stockard. Vince may have been our best player & Deloach was pretty solid but they are not a 30 pt difference on defense by themselves alone.

At dayton we score 53 pts, they scored 52.... with vince, but without Nunn & Stockard
At VCU we scored 52 pts, they scored 82..... without Vince & Deloach.

That wasn't just a bad loss that was an UGLY loss.

And I don't need to mention how bad our cross town rivals shat on us in the A10 Tournament game.... and that game we were at full strength. We had Nunn, Ward, Williams, Deloach.... etc.... and Richmond made us their b***h that night.

So even with wins in the 3 games you mentioned... we had 4 bad losses you're over looking.

SteveMM

Elite Member
Second of all I highly double just winning those 3 games would've taken us from a 3 seed in the NIT all the way up to a 7 seed.
I think he meant that would have been the seventh at-large bid since 2011. I think there's little doubt that those three wins would have put VCU over the top, but probably as something like a 10-12 seed.

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
First off we've seen you post this nonsense before.... Second of all I highly double just winning those 3 games would've taken us from a 3 seed in the NIT all the way up to a 7 seed. Penn State & NH were not that great that they woulda bumped us that high & sure getting rid of a terrible loss woulda helped..... but lets not forget... We also lost to Chattanooga at home (idc if they won their conference or not.... we shoulda beat them). We got wrecked at St. Bonaventure by 20 (and we had both Vince, Ace, Nunn, Curry for that game.... so next excuse).

We got trounced by Dayton at home by 30. Now sure we didn't have Vince for that game... but guess what? We beat Dayton at their place without Nunn & Stockard. Vince may have been our best player & Deloach was pretty solid but they are not a 30 pt difference on defense by themselves alone.

At dayton we score 53 pts, they scored 52.... with vince, but without Nunn & Stockard
At VCU we scored 52 pts, they scored 82..... without Vince & Deloach.

That wasn't just a bad loss that was an UGLY loss.

And I don't need to mention how bad our cross town rivals shat on us in the A10 Tournament game.... and that game we were at full strength. We had Nunn, Ward, Williams, Deloach.... etc.... and Richmond made us their b***h that night.

So even with wins in the 3 games you mentioned... we had 4 bad losses you're over looking.

Wrong (all over the place). Good try though, kid. You think and believe whatever you like.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
I think he meant that would have been the seventh at-large bid since 2011. I think there's little doubt that those three wins would have put VCU over the top, but probably as something like a 10-12 seed.
You’re right I mis-read his post it woulda been #7 if we got selected but there’s no way in he11… that ridding the Wagner loss and beating 2 average/below average Penn St/NH teams woulda bumped us from a 3 seed in the NIT into the big dance.

Not with all the other losses I listed above

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
Wrong (all over the place). Good try though, kid. You think and believe whatever you like.
Haha kid that’s funny….. are you on the selection committee? I highly doubt it. You wouldn’t be here wasting your time if you were.

We were a 3 seed in the NIT for a reason. 2 blow out losses (@SBU, Dayton at home)…. 2 other bad losses at home (Wagner & Chatt.), add on the butt whooping by Richmond in the A10 Qtrs… yeah just beating Wagner/PennSt/NH were not gonna get us there.

So you keep thinking your delusional thoughts and I’ll stick to watching college basketball and not being afraid to admit when we don’t deserve to be in.

You were probably a delusional one who thought we’d win the A10 Tourney in 2020 if it happened when we had all that chemistry issues and meltdown with our team

PhantomRam

Elite Member
Haha kid that’s funny….. are you on the selection committee? I highly doubt it. You wouldn’t be here wasting your time if you were.

We were a 3 seed in the NIT for a reason. 2 blow out losses (@SBU, Dayton at home)…. 2 other bad losses at home (Wagner & Chatt.), add on the butt whooping by Richmond in the A10 Qtrs… yeah just beating Wagner/PennSt/NH were not gonna get us there.

So you keep thinking your delusional thoughts and I’ll stick to watching college basketball and not being afraid to admit when we don’t deserve to be in.

You were probably a delusional one who thought we’d win the A10 Tourney in 2020 if it happened when we had all that chemistry issues and meltdown with our team
Rowdy, you are just emotional and do not do your research so therefore your opinion/thoughts have no basis, at least according to GTA :roll:. Oh wait, where have I heard that before? Just ignore him.

Just an FYI, I don't block any posters on RN, if I am interested, I read all post. You will never see me calling another poster "wrong". Just bad manners. It's just a darn message board, nothing more. Hang in there, KID.