22-23 Opponent Tracking Thread

RamDanFan

Elite Member
Because they're very similar to what we were jumping from the CAA to the A10. They're now 2 seasons removed from a very good NCAA Tourney run (2021 they went to the Sweet 16... after their F4 run in 2018). Last year they won their conference tournament (just as we did in 2012)... only difference is they got bounced in the Round of 64 where as we got bounced in the round of 32 in 2012.

They've def made a name for themselves.... just as we did in 2011 & 2012... so they're prob getting decent recruits.

And while they got a new HC for last season after Porter Moser left (the one who led them to the Final 4 in 2018 & Sweet 16 in 2021)..he got them back to the NCAA tournament again last year.

There's no reason to think they won't come in & be a force right away. Heck look at us coming into the A10. And right away we came in and made our presence known... there's no reason to think Loyola cant do the same possibly.

Same could be said for Davidson too, I believe.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member
Mike and his entire staff have been in college basketball for a long time. They have more than enough good relationships for scheduling purposes. Just because you have a good relationship doesn't mean you can get a game with someone. You underestimate the style of play argument. That is a real thing. I know our staff has a very good relationship with the Baylor staff, but they refused to play us in Dallas. We've pulled UVA for two home and home series in 12 years, in part because Tony Bennett is a good guy who understands the larger benefits of playing state schools. (See UVA at JMU last season. Bennett and JMU's coach, Mark Byington, don't have some long-term relationship.) Here is a Bennett quote about playing that game: "I came from Green Bay, a mid-major, there's so much parody, and I always hoped we'd get to play some of the Power-5's and that's irrelevant and I never got to," Bennett said, "I learned from my father when he took the Wisconsin job, he'd go play Green Bay, Milwaukee, those schools, I think that's important." Here is the article: https://www.cbs19news.com/story/45405999/bennett-instate-games-important-for-college-basketball
I think Coach Rhoades said before that sometimes having good relationships when it comes to scheduling just means that they will politely decline rather than hanging up the phone on you.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider

urmite

Elite Member

Love2Ram

Elite Member
Insider
This feels like a Friday night news dump. Forgive me if I lack enthusiasm for the additional games to our OOC schedule.

Love2Ram

Elite Member
Insider
If you had been paying attention the Dec 11th game was already announced a while ago. And you are upset that we aren’t playing Kansas in our exhibition game?
I never referenced Kansas and a rational person would agree there's a lot of room between Kansas and Howard. So yes, like many others around here I was hoping we'd fill out the schedule with a program that's more exciting than Howard but below the level of Kansas. Does that clarify it for you?