22-23 Opponent Tracking Thread

HBK

Elite Member
I think a lot of people have not fully internalized what the P5 20 game schedules have meant for people who do Martelli's job for non-P5 programs. It has always been hard to get H/H, or even one-off neutral site games vs P5 programs. It has now become close(r) to impossible because there are just many fewer spots on their schedules.

The blueprint now has to be do whatever you can to get those games, including offering 2 for 1s (which they have tried), get "best team in X weak ass conference" games, schedule the best exempt tournament you can, and hope the rest of the A10 does its part.

And win the games you get
This x 1000.

With so many of the P5 & BE conferences moving to 20 game conference schedules, that means the schools only have 10 or 11 OOC games. If a school plays in an MTE, then 2-3 games are already gone. If the school is in the SEC/B12 or B1G/ACC, then they will have a designated game against the other conference. That means these P5 & BE schools then only have 6 or 7 OOC games. 4 or 5 will be complete buy games which leaves only 1-3 matchups against a solid opponent.
If you have not had a chance to read what I posted last week, then please give it a look. Martelli offered some great insight into how the scheduling sausage is made. It seems as if we constantly try just about everything.

There are some on here who think our staff needs to "develop more and better relationships" in order to get better games. That's laughable. The fact is that our staff, having spent their entire professional lives in college basketball, except for Brent, who played professionally overseas, has all the relationships they need. As Martelli told me, the one common thread stated by those who turn down games against VCU is this: STYLE OF PLAY.

The other thing some are missing when they say they'd rather play ODU than Howard is how it could impact our at-large chances. I think every single fan would rather play ODU than Howard, but it sure sounds like a win over Howard does more for us than a win over ODU. I'm certainly not a bracket expert, but I learned that wins against tournament teams is actually something the selection committee tracks. Well, if ODU is a middle-of-the-road Sun Belt team and Howard wins the MEAC, then I'd rather play Howard, all other things being equal. I think we were 1-3 in non-conference games against NCAA Tournament teams last season. Win either the Baylor or UConn games and we may have been in last year. (I will defer to the resident bracketology experts here on RamNation as it relates to the scenario about last season.)

Also, VCU needs to play 8 home non-conference games a year for revenue/season ticket purposes. That factors into it.

Bottom line: you two are on the right track with the realities of scheduling and our blueprints for the future. That's why I loved that VCU offered to play SD State in Phoenix, Baylor in Dallas, Providence in NJ, and any P-6 in Atlanta. We just need to keep knocking on those doors and hope that another Power 6 (including Big East), other than UVA and Tony Bennett, will actually play us home and home.

I think a lot of people have not fully internalized what the P5 20 game schedules have meant for people who do Martelli's job for non-P5 programs. It has always been hard to get H/H, or even one-off neutral site games vs P5 programs. It has now become close(r) to impossible because there are just many fewer spots on their schedules.

The blueprint now has to be do whatever you can to get those games, including offering 2 for 1s (which they have tried), get "best team in X weak ass conference" games, schedule the best exempt tournament you can, and hope the rest of the A10 does its part.

And win the games you get
I think you're being too generous; folks here just don't understand scheduling. I mean, they're still clamoring that itd be beneficial to play a H/H with ODU.
There are some on here who think our staff needs to "develop more and better relationships" in order to get better games. That's laughable. The fact is that our staff, having spent their entire professional lives in college basketball, except for Brent, who played professionally overseas, has all the relationships they need. As Martelli told me, the one common thread stated by those who turn down games against VCU is this: STYLE OF PLAY.

The other thing some are missing when they say they'd rather play ODU than Howard is how it could impact our at-large chances. I think every single fan would rather play ODU than Howard, but it sure sounds like a win over Howard does more for us than a win over ODU. I'm certainly not a bracket expert, but I learned that wins against tournament teams is actually something the selection committee tracks. Well, if ODU is a middle-of-the-road Sun Belt team and Howard wins the MEAC, then I'd rather play Howard, all other things being equal. I think we were 1-3 in non-conference games against NCAA Tournament teams last season. Win either the Baylor or UConn games and we may have been in last year. (I will defer to the resident bracketology experts here on RamNation as it relates to the scenario about last season.)

Also, VCU needs to play 8 home non-conference games a year for revenue/season ticket purposes. That factors into it.
Yes, these two things precisely. It's also quite amazing how often those who want to play ODU away because they think buying out games is expensive, ignore the opportunity cost.

Last edited:

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
If you have not had a chance to read what I posted last week, then please give it a look. Martelli offered some great insight into how the scheduling sausage is made. It seems as if we constantly try just about everything.

Bottom line: you two are on the right track with the realities of scheduling and our blueprints for the future. That's why I loved that VCU offered to play SD State in Phoenix, Baylor in Dallas, Providence in NJ, and any P-6 in Atlanta. We just need to keep knocking on those doors and hope that another Power 6 (including Big East), other than UVA and Tony Bennett, will actually play us home and home.
Any word from Jimmy as to why Phil and Juwan are yella?

Can’t be style of play, because Phil showed multiple times he could beat it when he had the hosses to compete with it and that team up north has plenty of hosses.

Style or not, there is little incentive for a P5+ to play VCU—almost nothing to gain as long as we are a ”dangerous 40-60ish” team. If we can get to being a regular in the 25-40 range, I suspect we’ll get more interest.

we will agree to disagree on how relationships lead to opportunities
Our coaching staff has spent more of their time at the D3 level (playing and coaching ) than at the D1 level with few stops as lead assistants or associate head coaches at p6 programs - we also have no coaching tree of MR former assistants that are head coaches or major assistants or associate head coaches at p5s - that sometimes primes the pump
MR is exceptionally loyal to his assistant coaches (the lead 4 of them) and some played for him or went to same college as he did (not a criticism - just a fact to point out the loyalty of MR to his coaching staff

as far as scheduling this was the first real go around that MR and his staff sought major team on neutral site (I use neutral loosely because they were all within a few hundred miles of the opponent ) - think the results tell us MR will likely have to schedule them at their home court for any chance to play them for Now (And also to be fair few of MRs predescesors sp? were able to get p5 H&Hs either or be willing to schedule OOC tough road games)

i have advocated for us to go on road in OOC to play teams that will be Tier 1 games (like play a Murray st on the road or a Belmont in most years ) and have been encouraged by the memphis H&H and Temple H&H and the promise of UVA H&H. and no problems with playing 8 OOC at home and two of them being total dogs in the first month to get our sea legs

I heard last year this reasoning of playing lower conference top of the conference teams - that is a real guessing game especially for the bottom 5-7 conferences like the MEAC is (norfolk st is usually the top of MEAC - though Howard hired a very good coach a few years back that has moved them from cellar dweller to near top of the rest in the conference - can't say I follow MEAC to know who has who coming back)

Last edited:

HBK

Elite Member
Our coaching staff has spent more of their time at the D3 level (playing and coaching ) than at the D1 level with few stops as lead assistants or associate head coaches at p6 programs - we also have no coaching tree of MR former assistants that are head coaches or major assistants or associate head coaches at p5s - that sometimes primes the pump
MR is exceptionally loyal to his assistant coaches (the lead 4 of them) and some played for him or went to same college as he did (not a criticism - just a fact to point out the loyalty of MR to his coaching staff

as far as scheduling this was the first real go around that MR and his staff sought major team on neutral site (I use neutral loosely because they were all within a few hundred miles of the opponent ) - think the results tell us MR will likely have to schedule them at their home court for any chance to play them for Now (And also to be fair few of MRs predescesors sp? were able to get p5 H&Hs either or be willing to schedule OOC tough road games)

i have advocated for us to go on road in OOC to play teams that will be Tier 1 games (like play a Murray st on the road or a Belmont in most years ) and have been encouraged by the memphis H&H and Temple H&H and the promise of UVA H&H. and no problems with playing 8 OOC at home and two of them being total dogs in the first month to get our sea legs

I heard last year this reasoning of playing lower conference top of the conference teams - that is a real guessing game especially for the bottom 5-7 conferences like the MEAC is (norfolk st is usually the top of MEAC - though Howard hired a very good coach a few years back that has moved them from cellar dweller to near top of the rest in the conference - can't say I follow MEAC to know who has who coming back)
I agree that reasonable people can disagree, but I do ask a favor. Please try to be accurate when you are insinuating about things I said. I never said that relationships don't lead to opportunities. Relationships lead to opportunities in every walk of life. What I said was this: it is laughable for anyone to suggest that Mike and his staff don't have relationships necessary to get good games. That is just wrong.

I am fortunate to have friends in coaching at various levels, from high school to all three levels of college. You know what they all did regularly at least once or twice a year, pre-Covid? They attended coaching clinics, where they network and learn, particularly when they are younger coaches. Just because Mike and his staff were in D-3 doesn't mean they didn't create relationships with coaches at all levels. Coaches all go to the Final Four every year, in part to network. The lack of relationships isn't the reason we can't get games.

I know from Mike and Jimmy that we've been trying for years to get neutral court games against Power 6 teams, so this isn't their "first real go around". In the past two years we've offered some Power 6 schools a 2-for-1; we go there twice and they come to the Stu once. Turned down each time. Reasons given by the Power 6 school: either can't fit it into our schedule or style of play.

Bottom line: Mike and his staff try to get the best schedule they can while balancing the need for 8 home games. What VCU absolutely needs to do: win the games we can get on the road and/or in the annual MTE.

Peace.

Ramlove81

Elite Member

I think you need to look at the resumes of our coaching staff. Yes Rhoades started at Randy Mac, but he assisted at VCU, was head coach at Rice and now in his what, sixth year at VCU, that's what 13-14 years at DI. Martelli, as far as I know has never been at a DIII school and he has the scheduling job (and I'm sure lots of contacts through his father), which other of our assistants have spent more of their time at DIII than DI?

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I think you need to look at the resumes of our coaching staff. Yes Rhoades started at Randy Mac, but he assisted at VCU, was head coach at Rice and now in his what, sixth year at VCU, that's what 13-14 years at DI. Martelli, as far as I know has never been at a DIII school and he has the scheduling job (and I'm sure lots of contacts through his father), which other of our assistants have spent more of their time at DIII than DI?
Mike is very well connected and respected in the D1 coaching circles. Brent has connects all over the basketball planet and Jamal is also seen as a rising star. I’ve heard positive things about Byers too. Nothing to see.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Mike is very well connected and respected in the D1 coaching circles. Brent has connects all over the basketball planet and Jamal is also seen as a rising star. I’ve heard positive things about Byers too. Nothing to see.
the same people downplaying the abilities of the coaching staff will be the first ones in line with the sky is falling routine the first time any of them move on to take a bigger position somewhere.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Someone tell me how app st. pulls this off and gets auburn at home

I am not going to spend too much energy on this because at this point, I don’t think people are as interested in understanding as they are in driving some false narrative.

App St does not win Q1 /Q2games so. It’s as close to a guarantee for Auburn as it gets
Auburn is going to have 10-15 Q1 games in conference so they can fill the OOC with any cupcake and not have to challenge themselves

So in short, they save buy game money and get as close to a guaranteed win as possible on the road

I am not going to spend too much energy on this because at this point, I don’t think people are as interested in understanding as they are in driving some false narrative.

App St does not win Q1 /Q2games so. It’s as close to a guarantee for Auburn as it gets
Auburn is going to have 10-15 Q1 games in conference so they can fill the OOC with any cupcake and not have to challenge themselves

So in short, they save buy game money and get as close to a guaranteed win as possible on the road
You're also missing it's a 2 for 1, so Auburn is getting an extra home game. I doubt VCU wants to enter 2 for 1s.

I agree that reasonable people can disagree, but I do ask a favor. Please try to be accurate when you are insinuating about things I said. I never said that relationships don't lead to opportunities. Relationships lead to opportunities in every walk of life. What I said was this: it is laughable for anyone to suggest that Mike and his staff don't have relationships necessary to get good games. That is just wrong.

I am fortunate to have friends in coaching at various levels, from high school to all three levels of college. You know what they all did regularly at least once or twice a year, pre-Covid? They attended coaching clinics, where they network and learn, particularly when they are younger coaches. Just because Mike and his staff were in D-3 doesn't mean they didn't create relationships with coaches at all levels. Coaches all go to the Final Four every year, in part to network. The lack of relationships isn't the reason we can't get games.

I know from Mike and Jimmy that we've been trying for years to get neutral court games against Power 6 teams, so this isn't their "first real go around". In the past two years we've offered some Power 6 schools a 2-for-1; we go there twice and they come to the Stu once. Turned down each time. Reasons given by the Power 6 school: either can't fit it into our schedule or style of play.

Bottom line: Mike and his staff try to get the best schedule they can while balancing the need for 8 home games. What VCU absolutely needs to do: win the games we can get on the road and/or in the annual MTE.

Peace.
I'm not sure why you dignified that message with such a reply. That poster has posited relationships are key for non-P5 schools to secure home and homes with P5s, yet there's not a single example to showcase this (and they can't point to any because it's BS). I'm sure I'm going to get a "but look at Mark Few" from a few posters who don't understand Gonzagas 7 straight sweet sixteen appearances brings TV money to the deals.