Recruiting 22' 6'10 4* Composite Top 100 Christian Fermin commits to VCU.

t23e3

Elite Member
So far, none of Rhoades recruits have either. And Rhoades has never had a consensus top 100 recruit.

Bones was a great pick up for Mike. I’ll give him credit. But it also needs to be understood that if that house fire doesn’t happen and Bones doesn’t break his leg, then he would have ended up at a high level P5 school.
Am I missing something? Bones was a consensus top 100 4* recruit.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
So far, none of Rhoades recruits have either. And Rhoades has never had a consensus top 100 recruit.

Bones was a great pick up for Mike. I’ll give him credit. But it also needs to be understood that if that house fire doesn’t happen and Bones doesn’t break his leg, then he would have ended up at a high level P5 school.
Was going to say, Bones was the #89 consensus prospect in 2019.

duncanlamb

Elite Member

Excuse me. Rhoades had the foresight to stick with bones even after Power 5's lost interest after the house fire. It showed loyalty on Rhoades part. All the credit goes to rhoades for knowing how to maneaver through the power 5's and get overlooked players with p5 talent.

On paper, the next season's team(1-13) is the deepest most talented in vcu history.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Excuse me. Rhoades had the foresight to stick with bones even after Power 5's lost interest after the house fire. It showed loyalty on Rhoades part. All the credit goes to rhoades for knowing how to maneaver through the power 5's and get overlooked players with p5 talent.

On paper, the next season's team(1-13) is the deepest most talented in vcu history.
Next year’s team is not the most talented team on paper in VCU history.

Last edited:

VCUsummerof69

Elite Member

Had the foreseight to stick with him, despite everything that happened. Also there are recruits who Rhoades offered that ended up blowing up and going elsewhere so this what if game can go both ways. Basically saying if Bones life didn’t happen he wouldn’t have come but that is sort of how life works.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Come on now. Shaka was signing top 100 players his last several years. And he never missed an NCAA Tournament after his first season. Rhoades is doing a great job and he’s definitely more accessible to fans than Shaka, but you shouldn’t forget the direction recruiting was heading those last few years under Shaka.
I’m gonna stick with my opinion for now, though you do make some fair points. Rhoades is just doing such an impressive job of selling the program to recruits and getting players to buy in.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
In the conversation for deepest-ever though.
It definitely could be one of the deepest we’ve ever had, though a lot of this depends on assumptions on players improving and new players fitting in which we can’t be 100% certain about.

But we’ve had some very talented teams through the years and it’s kind of insulting to them to say that this team is the most talented ever on paper. I’m not even sure it would be if every single player exceeded expectations. If Bones had come back, then I might have been a little more okay with say it.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
We may not have the most talented but I think they will be extremely deep. I think we need three players (at a min) to take a step up for us - MBJ (that makes us 3 deep at center/forward, Tshonis (since we are now shy of a PG......Nunn stepping up too would be tremendous for us too), and either Banks or Watkins as a strong scorer.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
We may not have the most talented but I think they will be extremely deep. I think we need three players (at a min) to take a step up for us - MBJ (that makes us 3 deep at center/forward, Tshonis (since we are now shy of a PG......Nunn stepping up too would be tremendous for us too), and either Banks or Watkins as a strong scorer.
We got thin at PG no matter what. If Nunn matures at the same rate Ace did, it will help a ton. But it would also be a lot to ask. Doesn't happen often

Coach Rhoades finds high-level players who want to play here, and he does a really good job selling the program. He honestly does a better job of it than Shaka ever did.
Well the bottom line is it is about wins and losses. In Shaka's first 3 years at VCU he was 11-2 in post season play with a CBI championship, a Final 4 (with a win over the #1 seed Kansas) a final ranking of #6, and a round of 32. Rhoades is 0-1 in his first 3 years in post season play. Comparing him to Shaka is probably not a good idea.