Recruiting 22' 6'10 4* Rivals Top 150 Christian Fermin commits to VCU.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
He's playing for PSA Cardinals. He finished among the top rebounders and shot blockers during Peach Jam. Held Emoni Bates to 4-15 shooting. 🤷‍♂️
That’s fine. Summer ends soon and so does AAU basketball. Getting 25-30 high school games (and 100+ practices) against division 1 talent would be nice for preparing for the next level. There’s a reason why the best players in the country go to places like Oak Hill and Montverde Academy for their final year or two of high school. Most of those guys aren’t going to improve much while playing in a lot of the high school leagues across the country. A 6‘10 guy like Fermin might rarely get to play against anyone taller than 6’5-6’6 all season.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I have a feeling that the high school basketball in that part of the country is pretty weak. Lots of smallish schools.

I wish he’d been able to go the prep school route this year and played against better competition.
Absolutely. I was told the team that beat them in the 44 point effort was legit but his local competition was generally very low level.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
That’s fine. Summer ends soon and so does AAU basketball. Getting 25-30 high school games (and 100+ practices) against division 1 talent would be nice for preparing for the next level. There’s a reason why the best players in the country go to places like Oak Hill and Montverde Academy for their final year or two of high school. Most of those guys aren’t going to improve much while playing in a lot of the high school leagues across the country. A 6‘10 guy like Fermin might rarely get to play against anyone taller than 6’5-6’6 all season.

Let's sign him to an NIL so he can pay his way to one of those schools. Ram Nation could sponsor him and we could all chip in.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Let's sign him to an NIL so he can pay his way to one of those schools. Ram Nation could sponsor him and we could all chip in.
I don’t think the rules allow that.

And most of these guys don’t actually pay to go to prep schools. Top basketball players tend to go to these schools for free.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Today the #1 QB recruit in the nation decided to skip his senior season to enroll early at Ohio State so he could profit from NIL.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I don’t think the rules allow that.
tenor.gif

VCU Heel

Elite Member
There are definitely still rules against boosters giving money to high school students. We’re still not allowed to be in contact with them. People need to be careful here. It’s not a total free-for-all, especially when it comes to recruits.

Ramdog

Elite Member
There are definitely still rules against boosters giving money to high school students. We’re still not allowed to be in contact with them. People need to be careful here. It’s not a total free-for-all, especially when it comes to recruits.
Matter of time

Won't be long till you see donors paying players to go to their school. The slope is very slippery.
Kids will want to see what money is available before they sign

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Matter of time

Won't be long till you see donors paying players to go to their school. The slope is very slippery.
Kids will want to see what money is available before they sign
It would take another SCOTUS ruling to make that happen.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Not sure why...a player is free to negotiate a deal with a business after signing ...why the not before?
It's only fair to the players...oh I'm sorry I meant student athletes
The issue comes with when it’s boosters, which was what was implied. Also, high school associations can still prevent their players from profiting on NIL.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
The issue comes with when it’s boosters, which was what was implied. Also, high school associations can still prevent their players from profiting on NIL.
I suppose in theory it might be impermissible to tell a kid "I'll give you $25k if you come to the ole' U and wear my company's t-shirt in a picture," yet entirely permissible to say "now that you are at the ole' U I'll give you $25k to wear my company's t-shirt in a picture," but the difference is, um, highly nuanced at best.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I suppose in theory it might be impermissible to tell a kid "I'll give you $25k if you come to the ole' U and wear my company's t-shirt in a picture," yet entirely permissible to say "now that you are at the ole' U I'll give you $25k to wear my company's t-shirt in a picture," but the difference is, um, highly nuanced at best.
One is quid pro quo. The other is not. There is certainly both a nuanced and a legal difference.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
One is quid pro quo. The other is not. There is certainly both a nuanced and a legal difference.
No, they are both quid pro quos. In the first instance, there are two "quids" (come to school + sit for the picture); in the second only one.