Recruiting 22' 6'10 4* Rivals Top 150 Christian Fermin commits to VCU.

districtballer

Elite Member
Has VCU ever had 2 top 100 4 ⭐️ in the same class. Not that it means anything. Enticing
Yep. Tevin Mack and Kenny Williams. Larrier, Gilmore and Tillman in 2014 too.

2014 VCU had 3 ESPN100 recruits and Larrier was a top 50 recruit. Shaka was rolling back then.

C3663C48-5E95-406E-95BB-3A9A6B54101B.jpeg

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
View attachment 9898
Melvin and Jordan were ESPN100 commits in 2012 too

It depends on the source. 247 sports defines a class by whom actually signed a National letter of intent with the school. By those standards, 2022 is TBD until sometime in November.

By 247 standards, the vcu 2014 class. had 25th best class in the nation.

Larrier #34
Tillman #113
Gilmore #142
J. Williams 228.

For an composite rating of .9289.

However, barring any unforseen complications, if Fermin and Billups sign in november and neither player experiences a negative change in their rating or ranking then they become the highest rated class in the post warren era with a 0.9418 rating.

Last edited:

Violet Ram

Elite Member
It depends on the source. 247 sports defines a class by whom actually signed a National letter of intent with the school. By those standards, 2022 is TBD until sometime in November.

By 247 standards, the vcu 2014 class. had 25th best class in the nation.

Larrier #34
Tillman #113
Gilmore #142
J. Williams 228.

For an composite rating of .9289.

However, barring any unforseen complications, if Fermin and Billups sign in november and neither player experiences a negative change in their rating or ranking then they become the highest rated class in the post warren era with a 0.9418 rating.

Class rank isn't decided by average composite score, nor would that make sense. For example, imagine if a team signed the top and bottom 3 players in a given class. The composite average rating would be average despite having the best players available.

Last edited:

rammad90

Elite Member
*22-23 season.

The 21-22 season is about to begin in two months.
I would love that for the big fella. But I dont see it. Again, I hope he has a bell of a break out year and can move on after leading us to the Sweet 16.

Not sure about that. Jimmy Nicols and Hason will still be on board, if either of those guys show any improvement over this year, it'll be hard for any Freshman to come in and take a starting spot and with the guards/wings we have no way we have 3 bigs on the floor as starters.
I have seen nothing from Hason Ward that makes me think he's going to be a factor at VCU. A project that never got off the ground. I will be criticized for saying this but the stats (and eye test) are in my favor.

I have seen nothing from Hason Ward that makes me think he's going to be a factor at VCU. A project that never got off the ground. I will be criticized for saying this but the stats (and eye test) are in my favor.
You are right that the stats are nothing special to date
That said, HW has not been playing basketball that long (not an excuse just an observation) as such, many believe that there is lots of upside to his game (maybe there is maybe there isn't - we never know a players ceiling until we see it )
The eye test I see is a thin big with a wide wing span with an ability to run from rim to rim and block shots better than most bigs in the a10
he has an ability to guard bigs and smalls with his size and quickness so can defend the pick n roll that lots of teams rely upon
he has a shooting range of dunks and maybe 10 feet over the past years though his FT form and touch may be an indicator he can extend his shooting length
He is still developing his rebounding instincts that need to improve
for me this will be the break-through year , if it will ever happen for HW
what worries me is that HW may not get the minutes he really needs to fully develop with all the bigs that MR has to choose from now
I am one that is pulling for HW

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
I don't know why you think you'll be criticized, this is completely in line with the rest of your takes.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Seriously? From freshman to sophomore season the kid doubled his rpg, tripled his apg, quadrupled his bpg, tripled his spg and doubles his ppg. Last year was really his first year at getting decent min because as a freshman he was just getting spot minutes.
In fact, his stats are similar to Mo Allie Cox both freshman and sophomore years.
One area I think he needs to work on is his shots from several feet out from the basket.....his hook shot and short shot. He is very tall and lanky so he has had a lot of ally-oop dunks.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Seriously? From freshman to sophomore season the kid doubled his rpg, tripled his apg, quadrupled his bpg, tripled his spg and doubles his ppg. Last year was really his first year at getting decent min because as a freshman he was just getting spot minutes.
In fact, his stats are similar to Mo Allie Cox both freshman and sophomore years.
One area I think he needs to work on is his shots from several feet out from the basket.....his hook shot and short shot. He is very tall and lanky so he has had a lot of ally-oop dunks.
The big thing is that he started playing basketball late in life and missed the summer before his freshman year because he had to show up late and before his sophomore year because of Covid restrictions. This is his first real summer of college practice and S&C.

That said, I don’t think he’s a huge risk to go pro after the season. He has a huge jump in production to make.

Rams4Life

Elite Member
Insider
I’ll give you the stats, but put some context behind them that specifically relates to Hason’s basketball history and they’re actually impressive for a kid this green to the sport. As for the eye test, go see an eye doctor; the potential is OOZING!