Recruiting 247 Sports recruiting class ranking by year

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Was just curious, so here goes (the higher the number, the better...at least on paper)

2021 (so far) - 30.11 (2 players) ....although our tea leaves seem to be saying that might get a HUGE bump within the next few days.
2020 - 44.94 (4 players)
2019 - 47.62 (3 players...not sure why Tre isn't on their list)
2018 - 33 (4 players...Rhoades first class, a very last-minute class)
2017 - 39.46 (4 players)
2016 - 47.35 (3 players...De'Ri No.43 nationally by 247 Sports that year)
2015 - 39.49 (4 players)
2014 - 59.50 (4 players...one of our best classes ever, on paper)
2013 - 40.64 (4 playes)
2012 - 46.21 (3 players)
2011 - 23.58 (3 players...but MAN, did 247 miss the rankings on that...Tre + Bri)

Obviously this is just how they see things "on paper". CLEARLY the 2011 class with Treveon and Briante ended up being one of our very best ever whereas the 2016 one, or even 2014 for that matter, two of our highest rated ones because of a few very highly-ranked individuals did not end up being anywhere close to as good as Bri & Tre. Still though, doesn't hurt to see the level Rhoades & Co. are currently recruiting at. Gotta get those dudes old and gotta coach em up, but on paper at least...headed in the right direction.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Our freshman recruiting has looked great after the 2018 class. The biggest concern for me these days is whether or not Rhoades will be around long enough to see those classes come to fruition.

If we play to the 9th place finish we're projected to this year (and a lot of the reason we're projected there is BECAUSE of those missed 2017 and 2018 classes), we're looking at a 1st place finish, an 8th place finish, and 2 9th place finishes. Would be a pretty abysmal tenure for the coach of a team that styles itself as one of the flagships of the conference. Gotta think it would put him on the hot seat.

Important season coming up. No idea how it's going to shake out (in a number of regards.)

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
When Mike took over in Apr 2017, VCU was unquestionably the flagship program in the A-10 (7 consecutive dances, 5 consecutive A-10 finals, new practice facility, 3-4 bid league, sellout streak, admin support/budget, fan base, Havoc, Final Four, NBA players, visible on TV, 24+ wins streak, etc). We SHOULD be recruiting (nationally now) at a very high level. VCU is/was a Top 50 program. That's why we're paying a largely unproven commodity $1.5M+ on a multi-year deal. We had recently landed (or had committed) Top 100 recruits like Tillman, Gilmore, Larrier, Jenkins, Williams, Murphy, Mack, Kiir, Batts, etc. The recruiting bar had/has been set (pretty high) by Shaka/Will. Even Anthony Grant pulled Sanders and the Final Four core (while in the CAA no less).

Starting w/ the Class of 2019, the staff has focused on HS recruits (almost entirely) - Stockard was an emergency MSS backfill. Except for Bones (special circumstance), they're not really even sniffing the Top 100 anymore (unless they miraculously land Rose).

Most of our recruits are HS kids in the 200-400 range (according to 247). That's not exactly killing it (for a Top 50 program), especially when they're largely ignoring the top D-1 transfers (up or down), top JUCOs, top Intl kids, top grad transfers, etc. VCU is seemingly putting all of its eggs in the "HS recruit" basket.............the riskiest (least projectable, longest to develop) group; however, if you do have a high "hit rate" and they stay for 4, it can pay off handsomely over time and provide a lasting foundation. Clearly the staff is banking on this "long term" strategy (as Shaka did).

All that said, we SHOULD be out-recruiting our A-10 peers consistently given our advantages, recent pedigree, reputation, selling points, program ascent, etc. Mike and his staff have had recruiting advantages/selling points 5-10-fold over previous staffs.

A-10 Recruiting Tiers (should be - based on facilities, fan base, recent pedigree, resources, etc):
Tier 1:
VCU, Dayton
Tier 2: St Louis, Rhody
Tier 3: Richmond, Davidson, GMU, UMass
Tier 4: GW, LaSalle, Duquesne, Fordham, St Bonny, St Joes

Comments about recruits' length/size/athleticism are interesting............I'm concerned w/ shooting ability, B-ball IQ, toughness, court vision, physical build/strength/bulk, etc. We continue to have a relatively skinny/finesse-oriented current roster (overall) and with our two incoming 2021 recruits, no proven D-1 shooters at this time (minus Bones), etc.

The jury is still very much out on our recent year-to-year recruiting efforts (compared to our comparable non-P6 peer group of Wichita St, Dayton, Houston, Memphis, Cincy, St Marys, BYU, Rhody, St Louis, SDSU, Temple, Gonzaga, etc).

Everyone on the current roster and the recent commits are still relative "unknowns" (except Bones). Time will tell if this staff has been recruiting (and developing) well for a program at our level with our circumstance/conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramball
Mar 2, 2014
Our freshman recruiting has looked great after the 2018 class. The biggest concern for me these days is whether or not Rhoades will be around long enough to see those classes come to fruition.

If we play to the 9th place finish we're projected to this year (and a lot of the reason we're projected there is BECAUSE of those missed 2017 and 2018 classes), we're looking at a 1st place finish, an 8th place finish, and 2 9th place finishes. Would be a pretty abysmal tenure for the coach of a team that styles itself as one of the flagships of the conference. Gotta think it would put him on the hot seat.

Important season coming up. No idea how it's going to shake out (in a number of regards.)
Still would like to see Coach shorten the bench a little. Could save him. we do not need to play 10 -11 every game.

Reactions: cabell and 2012Ram

smiley4284

Top Member
Jul 7, 2011
Wouldn’t say they are ignoring the transfer market we got 2 and one committed to Bama. We are still getting the top recruiting classes in the A10. Wade wasn’t all that great of a recruiter without throwing money at kids. Unknown to you. Ace was the top PG in the Maryland, DC and Va area. Brown-Jones played on the #1 team in the country . 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Wouldn’t say they are ignoring the transfer market we got 2 and one committed to Bama. We are still getting the top recruiting classes in the A10. Wade wasn’t all that great of a recruiter without throwing money at kids.
Dayton has top 25 in the nation class...just saying

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009

Too bad last year’s highly regarded team, that by literally all accounts was poised for a HUGE season and senior laden, crapped the bed...big time

Last edited:
Reactions: mrgeode and 2012Ram

smiley4284

Top Member
Jul 7, 2011
Agree to disagree. Yes will be. Thanks though. Will go with the theme. Mike Rhoades recruit. You keep saying except for bones because he doesn’t fit your agenda. Like he’s the best recruit since Eric Maynor😂 Coach has been on record saying he wants to build the program up for long term success.

Last edited:

GarseIronjade

Top Member
Nov 16, 2016

I think we will be better than 9th this year, but I thought we would be much better last year than we turned out...

I could see his seat getting hot but I think he'll be here at least two more years even if he finishes 9th. Even a 6th would have to be viewed as pretty poor, but in context of a rebuild it's reasonable.

Showing positive momentum with a 5th or 6th place finish would probably make his seat more "warm" than "hot". That type of season would satisfy much of the fan base particularly when you look at his recent recruiting.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I think we will be better than 9th this year, but I thought we would be much better last year than we turned out...

I could see his seat getting hot but I think he'll be here at least two more years even if he finishes 9th. Even a 6th would have to be viewed as pretty poor, but in context of a rebuild it's reasonable.

Showing positive momentum with a 5th or 6th place finish would probably make his seat more "warm" than "hot". That type of season would satisfy much of the fan base particularly when you look at his recent recruiting.
Yeah, I don't especially care where we finish in the A-10, I care where we finish in the postseason. That said, I'll guess fourth through sixth.

Reactions: GarseIronjade

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Yeah, I don't especially care where we finish in the A-10, I care where we finish in the postseason. That said, I'll guess fourth through sixth.
I'm seriously concerned that there will even BE a college bball season....America is doing a piss poor job of "handling our collective business"....Thanksgiving is only going to make things worse.