40 years ago today

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
40 years ago today, I was in Charlotte NC to watch a middle-of-the-conference Rams team that ultimately would finish the season 18-12 win the Sunbelt Conference Tournament behind the play of MVP Ed Sherod, Monty Knight, Kenny Stancell, Greg McCray, and Danny Kottak. It was our first conference title, and our first NCAA bid. Someplace I have a piece of the net they cut down.

Oh, and we also beat the danm Russkies in Olympic hockey. Best sports weekend of my life.

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
40 years ago today, I was in Charlotte NC to watch a middle-of-the-conference Rams team that ultimately would finish the season 18-12 win the Sunbelt Conference Tournament behind the play of MVP Ed Sherod, Monty Knight, Kenny Stancell, Greg McCray, and Danny Kottak. It was our first conference title, and our first NCAA bid. Someplace I have a piece of the net they cut down.

Oh, and we also beat the danm Russkies in Olympic hockey. Best sports weekend of my life.
thank you for this.

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009

I was a freshman at VCU at the time. And that is a list of some really, really good Rams - every single one of them!!!

Reactions: northernvatiger

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Put any one of those five on the current roster and he’d be a huge boost.

Jan 16, 2020

Don't forget 6-11 center Kenny Jones, a Prince Edward County native who transferred to VCU from Lincoln Memorial, Tenn. .... Among all Rams' alumni, Kenny ranks with program's most loyal supporters.

Reactions: Megakerato

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Don't forget 6-11 center Kenny Jones, a Prince Edward County native who transferred to VCU from Lincoln Memorial, Tenn. .... Among all Rams' alumni, Kenny ranks with program's most loyal supporters.
Look up ^^^

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

Actually, VCU's first NCAA bid sent them to Greensboro, NC in 1980 where they lost to Iowa 86-72. I was at that game. VCU played in Charlotte in 1981 and lost in the second round to Tennessee in OT 58-56.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Actually, VCU's first NCAA bid sent them to Greensboro, NC in 1980 where they lost to Iowa 86-72. I was at that game. VCU played in Charlotte in 1981 and lost in the second round to Tennessee in OT 58-56.
The conference tournament was in Charlotte. That's where I was.

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram
Apr 22, 2009

Hard to believe it was that long ago. I officially feel old! I remember Richmond was in the midst of a big snowstorm and school had been canceled.

Reactions: 83VCU
Jan 16, 2020
Not everyone knows Kenny Jones played at Lincoln Memorial under a former Ram, L.J. Kilby ... L.J. came to VCU along with David Hobbs from what was then Ferrum Junior College ... L.J. tells me Kenny remains active as a Lincoln Memorial supporter along with his long-time allegiance to VCU.

Mar 18, 2012
The Tennessee game is still the most disappointing game to me all time. Dale Ellis broke our hearts with that 15 foot jumper. That VCU team was tough as nails, as were all the JD Barnett teams.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM