A Beloved RamFan, Bob Maphis, has passed away

BigTimeRamFan

Top Member
Jan 4, 2011
ROBERT (Bob) MAPHIS

MAPHIS, ROBERT

MAPHIS, Robert Wade "Bob," "Daddy Bob," born October 1, 1931, in Romney, W.Va. and died May 13, 2020, in Ashland, Va., at the home of his son, Mark Maphis and Toni Gorveatt. He was preceded in death by his parents, his siblings; and his wife of over 43 years, Ruth Bowman Maphis. In addition to Mark and Toni and their children, Marcus Maphis (Molly), Noah Maphis and Damon Oxendine; he is survived by his daughter, Kimberlee Maphis Early (Robert) and their children, Ann Hannah Spiller (Patrick) and John Early; three great-grandchildren; Debbie Fisher (Paul); sisters-in-law and brothers-in-law and numerous nieces and nephews. A graduate of Shepherd College and Vanderbilt University Divinity School, Bob was a military veteran and former civilian personnel officer for the federal government. He served for many years leading congregations of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Eastwood Christian Church in Nashville, Tenn., First Christian Church in Greenville, Ky., Valley Christian Church in Louisville, Ky. and Hanover Avenue Christian Church in Richmond Va., to name a few. Bob also served as a hospital chaplain at Retreat Hospital. Bob's passions were family, friends, ministry and VCU basketball. As one of the founding members of The Final Four Club, he enjoyed a family of raving VCU fans for the last 43-plus years. "A good man, a kind and gracious minister, a child of God." "A gentle soul." A public celebration of his life will be held in the future and condolences may be left on his Facebook page (Bob Maphis). Memorial contributions may be made to the Ruth Bowman Maphis Fund of the Vanderbilt University Divinity School Library, 419 21st Ave. S., Nashville, Tenn. 37203.

Hook

Top Member
Insider
Oct 31, 2012
What a wonderful person , VCU fan and friend Bob was to so many of us. I had the pleasure of knowing Bob for more years than I can count: from the very early years of VCU basketball, fun times with the Final 4 Club, basketball road trips (way too much fun), Coliseum & Siegel Center games and the times so many of us spent together with Bob outside of VCU sports. Bob, Ruth and their son Mark have always been avid supporters of the VCU Athletic programs. He will be greatly missed by myself, my wife and so many others who shared his friendship.

Apr 20, 2009
What a wonderful person , VCU fan and friend Bob was to so many of us. I had the pleasure of knowing Bob for more years than I can count: from the very early years of VCU basketball, fun times with the Final 4 Club, basketball road trips (way too much fun), Coliseum & Siegel Center games and the times so many of us spent together with Bob outside of VCU sports. Bob, Ruth and their son Mark have always been avid supporters of the VCU Athletic programs. He will be greatly missed by myself, my wife and so many others who shared his friendship.
Very nicely stated Hook. Bob was a great VCU fan and all around good guy. Indeed, "He will be greatly missed..." by so many. And condolences to Mark and whole family. (Crazy times with the social distancing and all, if you knew Bob, would be hard to imagine him not being able to give his big hug...)

RamChris

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
I didn't know the man, but certainly recognized his face. I wish I had known him after the way you all have described him. We are the poorer, he is the richer now. What a great comfort for his family, and his ram family who will miss him.

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
While I have not known the folks we've lost over the last several years as mentioned on the boards, I have certainly recognized some faces. We truly owe our longstanding Ram faithful for their support of VCU through thick and thin - especially in the formative years. When I was in RVA and had season tickets for decades, I always marveled at our fan support. Thanks to all of you!

May 19, 2015
I wish, for those that do not mind the recognition, these folks could be introduced at some of our private tournament events (ie-Alumni or pregame parties). It seems to be a great misfortune not to share an introduction of these wonderful RAM faithfuls who have built the foundation of our fan base and are such great people to come to know.

Reactions: Newboy