A couple of very random notes from watching a workout

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
Got the chance to watch a workout the other day at the BDC. Didn't watch any practice, so no actual bball was observed, but just neat to see the squad with so many new faces in the gym (also B.A. was with me because we now sell real estate together, so was nice walking up in there with a VCU legend).

Marcus Tsohonis - Was kinda surprised by his size. He's listed at 6'3 but I'm 6'1 and he looked taller than 6'3 to me. Coach described him as super west coast, very laid back. Seemed to have a maturity about it or calmness. To me he just looked like an older pro than a college student.

Jimmy Nichols - He wasn't working out but was on the bike. I forget who told me this, maybe Darius or Rozzell, but someone was saying he could be a real breakout player for us.

Jayden Nunn - Dude just seemed locked in. They were running suicides or something and he slipped and got a good bit behind on a timed drill, but quickly caught up and made the time. Doesn't look like a freshman. Kid is pretty jacked for a point guard. He's got really nice size for a PG and he's just a freshman. Physically could see him becoming a Charles Jenkins type of point guard.

Jalen DeLoach - Another long dude. Him, Nichols and Hason look like they come off of a factory line as prototype long front court players. He looked a bit bigger than Hason to me. Super long.

Arnold Henderson - Have to give him a shout out because even though I know his minutes will be limited on the court, he just crushed everyone in all these stamina/speed drills. If there was a Spartan race or Tough Mudder or whatever, I'd pick him to beat the entire team. Dude is just in amazing shape.

Jarren McAllister - Great seeing him moving. He was wearing a large brace and is apparently new to working out with it, but definitely looked like he moved well out there despite getting used to that new thing. Dude is jacked.

Ace Baldwin - Obviously wasn't working out doing the team drills, but was on the court walking around. If you saw him walking on the street you'd have no clue he was currently injured/coming off of an injury, but that's obviously very different from competing in high level DI hoops. Either way, looks like he's ahead of schedule from what I initially thought when he got injured.

Levi Stockard - Dude just looks like he's in the best shape of his life and coach mentioned that. He's really trimmed down since getting here and I think that could serve him well this year in a potentially larger role.

Nick Kern - Yo....that is a looooong guard. Coach was mentioning that basically he's a dude that at any given moment could just drop the hammer on someone in a game. I was so surprised how tall he actually looked in person. I mean, if he's still growing too that's gonna be nuts. Could be a legit 6'7 guard. Also he just has a confidence too him. Reminds me a bit of both Ace and Samir in the vibe they give off.

The other returning guys we're all familiar with obviously. Looked like I thought they'd look out there. Vince to me in particular looked a bit more cut up than in previous years. Jamir looks like a terminator, MBJ is a large man, Key is a serious athlete, Josh looked good and in great shape out there, etc.

Also Darius and Brandon were doing conditioning with them. Those dudes can obviously hang with these guys and Darius in particular is a machine. He was grinding and moving faster than almost everyone not named Arnold and I don't know if he even broke a sweat. Also the coaches just have such a good vibe among them. Just a super likable group of dudes. Coach Rhoades was chatting with me and the guys I was with the entire time and is just the most humble coach I can remember coming through VCU. Totally someone that would sit down with you at a restaurant to drink a beer with you and you'd think you knew him your entire life. Just the entire staff was so nice and humble. But also for me it just felt great having Coach Rhoades, Roose, Brandon and Darius in there in particular because these are all dudes who were a major part of building that facility during our Final 4 run, etc. I know we see the "Family" branding, but honestly that vibe was in the building (also Roose is a mad dog...love that guy. Fun to watch/hear him work these guys out).

Got the chance to watch a workout the other day at the BDC. Didn't watch any practice, so no actual bball was observed, but just neat to see the squad with so many new faces in the gym (also B.A. was with me because we now sell real estate together, so was nice walking up in there with a VCU legend).

Marcus Tsohonis - Was kinda surprised by his size. He's listed at 6'3 but I'm 6'1 and he looked taller than 6'3 to me. Coach described him as super west coast, very laid back. Seemed to have a maturity about it or calmness. To me he just looked like an older pro than a college student.

Jimmy Nichols - He wasn't working out but was on the bike. I forget who told me this, maybe Darius or Rozzell, but someone was saying he could be a real breakout player for us.

Jayden Nunn - Dude just seemed locked in. They were running suicides or something and he slipped and got a good bit behind on a timed drill, but quickly caught up and made the time. Doesn't look like a freshman. Kid is pretty jacked for a point guard. He's got really nice size for a PG and he's just a freshman. Physically could see him becoming a Charles Jenkins type of point guard.

Jalen DeLoach - Another long dude. Him, Nichols and Hason look like they come off of a factory line as prototype long front court players. He looked a bit bigger than Hason to me. Super long.

Arnold Henderson - Have to give him a shout out because even though I know his minutes will be limited on the court, he just crushed everyone in all these stamina/speed drills. If there was a Spartan race or Tough Mudder or whatever, I'd pick him to beat the entire team. Dude is just in amazing shape.

Jarren McAllister - Great seeing him moving. He was wearing a large brace and is apparently new to working out with it, but definitely looked like he moved well out there despite getting used to that new thing. Dude is jacked.

Ace Baldwin - Obviously wasn't working out doing the team drills, but was on the court walking around. If you saw him walking on the street you'd have no clue he was currently injured/coming off of an injury, but that's obviously very different from competing in high level DI hoops. Either way, looks like he's ahead of schedule from what I initially thought when he got injured.

Levi Stockard - Dude just looks like he's in the best shape of his life and coach mentioned that. He's really trimmed down since getting here and I think that could serve him well this year in a potentially larger role.

Nick Kern - Yo....that is a looooong guard. Coach was mentioning that basically he's a dude that at any given moment could just drop the hammer on someone in a game. I was so surprised how tall he actually looked in person. I mean, if he's still growing too that's gonna be nuts. Could be a legit 6'7 guard. Also he just has a confidence too him. Reminds me a bit of both Ace and Samir in the vibe they give off.

The other returning guys we're all familiar with obviously. Looked like I thought they'd look out there. Vince to me in particular looked a bit more cut up than in previous years. Jamir looks like a terminator, MBJ is a large man, Key is a serious athlete, Josh looked good and in great shape out there, etc.

Also Darius and Brandon were doing conditioning with them. Those dudes can obviously hang with these guys and Darius in particular is a machine. He was grinding and moving faster than almost everyone not named Arnold and I don't know if he even broke a sweat. Also the coaches just have such a good vibe among them. Just a super likable group of dudes. Coach Rhoades was chatting with me and the guys I was with the entire time and is just the most humble coach I can remember coming through VCU. Totally someone that would sit down with you at a restaurant to drink a beer with you and you'd think you knew him your entire life. Just the entire staff was so nice and humble. But also for me it just felt great having Coach Rhoades, Roose, Brandon and Darius in there in particular because these are all dudes who were a major part of building that facility during our Final 4 run, etc. I know we see the "Family" branding, but honestly that vibe was in the building (also Roose is a mad dog...love that guy. Fun to watch/hear him work these guys out).
Thank you! Nice to read your observation!

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing

rammed

Elite Member
Fantastic information. Thank you!!! I am getting so excited about this program.

ramin75

Elite Member
Great off the cuff insight on some really strong recruiting classes. Still feeling cheated from last season’s whatever it was. Going to be some good growth for the program in the near future and last year was pretty strong.

Good information and assessment. How about Curry and is the recruit from Varina eligible to play this season coming up as well.