A couple of very random notes from watching a workout

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Remember how VCU employed the 2-3 zone alot during Bones/Williams injury stretch last season?

We are going to see it become part of our defensive scheme due given the way this roster is now put together.
Why do you think this roster lends itself to playing zone? I could see zone press, but man to man in the half court the vast majority of the time.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Why do you think this roster lends itself to playing zone? I could see zone press, but man to man in the half court the vast majority of the time.
Lots of length. Lots of athleticism, too, so man makes more sense, but dropping back into a zone press now and then would be a nice wrinkle.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
I'd be very surprised to see that, but wouldn't mind seeing it from time to time.
I am basing it on the fact that we used it with longer lineups.

Seems we are trading for longer more athletic.

Case in point.. out go 6-6 vince and 6-4 keyshawn
.in come 6-10 fermin and 6-7 billups..thats like a 3+ increase in height per slot.

If we platoon 10-12 guys, i could see us mix full court press, man to man and a long athletic 2- 3 zone to cover passing lanes...kinda what houston, memphis and arksansas all do..

I feel like maybe MR was testing the waters with bones out last year to see if would be effective.

Rams4Life

Elite Member
Insider

.in come 6-10 fermin and 6-7 billups..thats like a 3+ increase in height per slot.

If we platoon 10-12 guys, i could see us mix full court press, man to man and a long athletic 2- 3 zone to cover passing lanes...kinda what houston, memphis and arksansas all do..

I feel like maybe MR was testing the waters with bones out last year to see if would be effective.
That was out of necessity. At that specific point in the season, we had almost no bench players. We played zone to save our guys’ legs. Coach said as much last year in a postgame interview.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
That was out of necessity. At that specific point in the season, we had almost no bench players. We played zone to save our guys’ legs. Coach said as much last year in a postgame interview.

Okay. My wishful thinking getting in the way.

80sRam

Elite Member

These musings trigger a memory from back in the day. In our second round 1985 NCAA tournament game, a 63-59 loss to Alabama, the Tide played some 1-3-1 zone with 6'9" Derrick McKey out front. Drove us friggin' crazy. I could see us throwing something like that into the mix this year, with any number of rangy, mobile and springy guys out front.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
The 2 3 zone works. I mean it worked for those wicked '70 teams! You could you see point of attacks and you had the area on the floor which you were responsible for. Dana Kirk was brilliant/lucky here at the School creating defensive sets/zones to give us an advantage.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
These musings trigger a memory from back in the day. In our second round 1985 NCAA tournament game, a 63-59 loss to Alabama, the Tide played some 1-3-1 zone with 6'9" Derrick McKey out front. Drove us friggin' crazy. I could see us throwing something like that into the mix this year, with any number of rangy, mobile and springy guys out front.
Houston, like crum cardinals, is a bunch of 6-6 to 6-9 rangy long guys who press, man to man and zone on defense. They led the nation in team rebounding. The end result, a perrenial top 10 team over the last 2 years and a final four appearance last. Similar teams include texas tech, memphis, arkansas and evern moreso florida st!

Yup we can mix full court pressure falling back in a man to man or 2-3 zone.

Our biggest issue 2 or 3 years ago was having a big hedge on the pick and roll leaving 6-2 marcus evans or 6-6 vince williams to take a charge.

Now you have any 2 of the bigs ward, stockard, nichols, brown jones and deloach...all 6-8 or over with reach switch over to if one of them is hedging. You have 6-7 watkins, 6-6 kern, 6-6 williams, 6-5 banks, 6-4 curry on the wings..and throw in 6-8 deloach and nichols who can cover on the perimeter..the defensive possibilities are endless!!

Sorry...getting a ramgasm here..need to get lit by my favorite mix

November can not come soon enough...look at those transition layup blocks!!!

Last edited: