A thread wishing for two bigs in at once (...occasionally)

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Obviously after a couple of losses comes the coaching threads, so here's one from me!

Corey Douglas. I've mentioned him before and how he's not really being rewarded for playing some good basketball (just 12.8 minutes despite being one of our most efficient players).

Here's my pitch: We kinda suck on offense anyway....why not just plug in another defensive-minded player who can help us on the offensive glass alongside Santos-Silva down there? It's not a depth issue, it's just requesting they get in A BIT together like when we messed a bit with two bigs last year. Corey is barely playing and is never in foul trouble, so he's currently at no risk of getting gassed or risking our bigs foul situation. Also I imagine there's a "spacing" argument to make with two bigs in, but I mean...what is spacing getting our offense at the moment anyway? A 198th 2p% nation ranking?

That's just one tweak I wish our guys would play with a bit....just a biiiiit.

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
Obviously after a couple of losses comes the coaching threads, so here's one from me!

Corey Douglas. I've mentioned him before and how he's not really being rewarded for playing some good basketball (just 12.8 minutes despite being one of our most efficient players).

Here's my pitch: We kinda suck on offense anyway....why not just plug in another defensive-minded player who can help us on the offensive glass alongside Santos-Silva down there? It's not a depth issue, it's just requesting they get in A BIT together like when we messed a bit with two bigs last year. Corey is barely playing and is never in foul trouble, so he's currently at no risk of getting gassed or risking our bigs foul situation. Also I imagine there's a "spacing" argument to make with two bigs in, but I mean...what is spacing getting our offense at the moment anyway? A 198th 2p% nation ranking?

Is Mobley the missing link? We were so good last year. Both are 6'8" solid players.

Last edited:

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Is Mobley the missing link? We were so good last year. Both are 6'8" solid players.
Just from my morning research, I'd say no.

Here's one thing that's been an early killer:

A-10 effective field goal percentage (minutes/A-10 game)
Vann 18.2% (25) on 15 attempts
Curry 15.4% (14.3) on 11 attempts
Williams 21.9% (18) on 11 attempts

Also Marcus Evans' A-10 true shooting percentage is at 49.1% right now, down from 60.3% last season.

That's a lot of dead minutes on the offensive end with the three wings. Vann's % is down from 51.4%, Vince was a 52.5% EFG% in A-10 play last year while Curry barely played really. Basically we've just got a group of important players to this year's team in a VERY legit offensive slump early and all at the same time. They combined to go 0-13 against Rhody and 3-13 at Dayton for a team-killing 11.5% group shooting performance. You just can't beat good teams that way. That group also went 3-9 at Wichita State (missed all their threes) and 4-15 against Tennessee (only 1 was a three) and combined for 6 points against Purdue. According to kenpom Vince has played 44% of our available minutes at the 4 spot the last five games, Issac 57% of the small forward minutes and Key 32% of available minutes backing up De'Ri at the 2. That's a good chunk of minutes slumping on offense.

Reactions: 88RAM and RamStrut

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
What is frustrating about the last two games is that I've felt that we've moved the ball relatively well and had several open three pointers that we have not connected on.
6-28 against Rhody
3-20 against Dayton

9-48...GOT darn! (that's 18.8% for anyone who doesn't feel like looking it up). Hard to beat good teams that way.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
6-28 against Rhody
3-20 against Dayton

9-48...GOT darn! (that's 18.8% for anyone who doesn't feel like looking it up). Hard to beat good teams that way.
Yikes, that is painful to read. Again, I have not been disappointed w/ the offensive scheme in the last two games. We've attacked the basket relatively well and had plenty of good looks from deep.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Nope....While a decent rebounder, Mobley gave minimal points and minimal assists.....If his only attribute is helping to whip the ball around the perimeter and rarely shoot? We got that already.

I agree with Natty on mixing up the lineups in this regard. Rebounding has clearly been an area that our Rams have struggled with. Plus...if an MSS/Corey duo was being effective in the paint?? Stands to reason that the D would sag in and allow for some better looks from the perimeter.

Also, you gotta look to next year as well. MSS and Corey will be seniors on a young team with only Ward and MBJ in the "big" category...I don't think it's impossible to envision them playing together next year....so then why not this year??

Nov 10, 2012
Yikes, that is painful to read. Again, I have not been disappointed w/ the offensive scheme in the last two games. We've attacked the basket relatively well and had plenty of good looks from deep.
We shot 56% from 2 last night, 15% from 3. That and another poor night at the free throw line. Ugh. In the last 2 games, our opponents have made more free throws than we have attempted. That's not good.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
We shot 56% from 2 last night, 15% from 3.
3p% against top-100 teams this year

v LSU 9-28 (32.1%)
v Purdue 3-17 (17.6%)
v Tennessee 7-15 (46.7%)
@ WSU 4-19 (21.1%)
v Rhody 6-28 (21.4%)
@ Dayton 3-20 (15%)

Overall v top-100 = 32-127 (25.1%)

Worth noting that the current worst team in the nation from distance is Maryland Eastern Shore, who's shooting 24.6% from three. The second worst is Jackson State at 25.2%, which is sadly better than we shoot from distance on average against good teams. We aren't going to abandon our style of play. I just don't see that happening, so somehow, someway, guys are gonna have to find a better way to put the ball in the hoop from distance.

Also cause I'm curious...

2p% against top-100 [free throws...because missed twos often end up as free throws)
v LSU 17-35 (48.6%) [23-29]
v Purdue 16-26 (61.5%) [15-22]
v Tenn 15-42 (35.7%) [18-23]
@ WSU 16-34 (47.1%) [19-26]
v Rhody 15-39 (38.5%) [8-11]
@ Dayton 23-41 (56.1%) [10-17]

Overall 2p% = 102-217 (47%)
True shooting % from only twos & free throws against top-100 = 54.3%

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
G

Got my vote.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Would fully welcome two bigs in the lineup at once. I’d give anything to scrap the full game press game plan as well.

Reactions: HTTRams!
Nov 10, 2012
We aren't going to abandon our style of play. I just don't see that happening, so somehow, someway, guys are gonna have to find a better way to put the ball in the hoop from distance.
I agree. We're not going to stop taking around 20+ 3's per game. Have to hope they start falling and soon.