A thread wishing for two bigs in at once (...occasionally)

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I would personally not take a lot of coaching tips from Eric Musselman
why? Former NBA head coach and his Nevada teams always seemed to play a loose yet cohesive style.
A buck for your thoughts....

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
why? Former NBA head coach and his Nevada teams always seemed to play a loose yet cohesive style.
A buck for your thoughts....
Former NBA washout and his Nevada teams were always talented but seemed less than the sum of their parts. His last few Nevada seasons really soured me on him.

To be fair, he has a great eye for talent and his head coaching stops in the league weren't known for their stability at the time.

Reactions: PRock

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
...Even our Final 4 team under Shaka/Rhoades saw Bradford average 34 minutes, Joey 33 and Jamie 31. Weren't we wreaking havoc back then? Jamie averaged 34 minutes a night during our 6-game Final 4 run, playing 3 games in 5 days during one part of that stretch...and I know Jamie, he'll be the first to tell you he's not the best at running that much. Bradford averaged 37 minutes per contest during that run and he was pressing his tail off.
If Mike was working with that roster the minutes would be the same.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
A comparable team to look at is WV. I know Huggins likes to press and pressure on defense. In the past they have had good three point shooters, this year they don't. Their two leading scorers are forwards 6'9 250 and 6'10 250 both almost averaging double doubles. Looks like Huggins figured out they couldn't shoot and adjusted. It probably too late to completely change the game plan but like you said, can't we do it occasionally.
It ain’t the Xes and the Os...it’s the jimmy and the joes...we got a couple 6’9 top 100 recruits hiding on our bench?

Reactions: KentuckyRam

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
@duncanlamb, i hear you, and the fatigue part was true too! Tell me what you think of Anthony Grant's recruiting. Did Alabama not give him much a chance to get his players in? Was it 3 years there? I cant remember.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Comparing the final four team to the current one is appies and oranges.

First of all, the final four team had enough depth and versatility to play in different ways and did so. The beats teams going small and big. They also did it by playing much.more half court defense.

You want to deploy 2 bigs. The final four team did because they could rotated 4-6
serviceable bigs(Skeen, Reddic, Toby, Haley, Houston and Hinton) in any game, this team has 2(Silva and Douglas) and Ward is a project.

No, we cant play our best 5 or 6 30+ minutes a game and press full court because they aren't use to it.

Our success last year was predicated on solid half.court defense and judicious pressing. We something like 43rd in turnover percentage but 2nd in 2pt percentage defense. This year we are 1st in steals but 207th 2nd percentage defense.

Go back and watch the Dayton's 22-0 run and the uri sports. We are even with the opponent then all of sudden we committed a rash of lazy passes, travels, cough up the ball with no defenders around, tripping while dribbling the ball and no defenders around, . That doesnt just happen..that's fatigue..

We need to get back to last years defensive philosophy.

Playing more half court doesnt mean you have to shorten your rotation either. See Witchita st, they play 9 with grinding HC defense and judicious pressing.
DL was Houston ever in the rotation? I thought he was hurt?

Reactions: G-Man
Mar 1, 2015
DL was Houston ever in the rotation? I thought he was hurt?
Frequently players are remembered better than they were. Houston is now a key component to a team he didn’t play one minute for. Over the top. Veal gave very little, Haley tipped off then got yanked, 1 Pt 1 Rb. Hinton never played min against meaningful competition. Skeen and Burgess went heavy minutes - small lineup. Reddic was a good freshman backup. That team was no deeper up front than this one. Last year either. Mobley didn’t really play inside and Gilmore was useless.

Reactions: PRock and Ramdog

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
Frequently players are remembered better than they were. Houston is now a key component to a team he didn’t play one minute for. Over the top. Veal gave very little, Haley tipped off then got yanked, 1 Pt 1 Rb. Hinton never played min against meaningful competition. Skeen and Burgess went heavy minutes - small lineup. Reddic was a good freshman backup. That team was no deeper up front than this one. Last year either. Mobley didn’t really play inside and Gilmore was useless.
Yes but..but..

Apr 21, 2009
I will reject your request for Corey Douglas at the 4, not because it wouldn't work, but because Santos-Silva might have less double doubles.