A thread wishing for two bigs in at once (...occasionally)

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Can we please stop with the Mobley references. It's funny how the guys people were complaining about last year are suddenly the missing piece to success this year.
I always thought it was like us playing 4 on 5 when he was in the game. He had become so gun shy other teams played well off him.

As for two bigs, I wouldn't mind if the second one is Ward. Douglas makes me nervous in the half court offense; otherwise he's been playing well.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Also factor in that I think Bonnies were without one of their guys too.... but also I think we were just clicking on all cylinders today.... offense, defense... you name it. Also we were running a lot more plays (maybe because of all the youngsters out there, so MR was calling plays).

I do like having 2 bigs out there, it helps collapse the D, which opens up our shooters. But also having 2 guys out there, gives us another option down low. If MSS gets doubled, you got Corey or Ward to help & vice versa.

I suspect with Williams out several weeks we might see more of that.... time will tell if it keeps working like it did today.

Reactions: Celticguy

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Simms was having trouble with Winston. Douglas came in and he did not. Douglas is more help on D and things go better on O as well.
Our two-big lineup limited them to just TWO POINTS in the first half...then gave up JUST TWO POINTS from 15:48 to 11:19 of the second.... That is some defensive domination.

To me the most notable difference when we went big out there was our defense was just a monster and our rebounding (surprise!) was just sooooo much better.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Also factor in that I think Bonnies were without one of their guys too.... but also I think we were just clicking on all cylinders today.... offense, defense... you name it. Also we were running a lot more plays (maybe because of all the youngsters out there, so MR was calling plays).

I do like having 2 bigs out there, it helps collapse the D, which opens up our shooters. But also having 2 guys out there, gives us another option down low. If MSS gets doubled, you got Corey or Ward to help & vice versa.

I suspect with Williams out several weeks we might see more of that.... time will tell if it keeps working like it did today.
Did they say Williams would be out several weeks? It's a fractured finger, which can be taped. He's not in a cast, and it's not the wrist like Crowfield.

May 4, 2012
Just cause I'm curious, here's how things went during the times we ran two bigs today...

Half No.1
Open with usual starters (Kel at the 4, so not two bigs)
Sub Corey in at 14:56 (Score is 11-6)

Corey + Marcus
VCU allows 2 points during this 2:55 seconds, scores 11 for a +9 over 2:55 of play
Increase VCU's lead together to 22-8

12:01 (Score is 22-8)
Hasan (in for Marcus) + Corey
VCU gives up no points during their time, scores 4 for a +4 in just under two minutes
Increases VCU's lead to 26-8

+18 points between 14:56 and 10:06 (4:50 of action)

10:06 we go to traditional 1 big

HALF No.1 RESULTS:
Outscore Bona by 18 with two bigs in 4:50
Outscore Bona by 10 without two bigs over 15:10

Half No.2
Open with usual starters
Sub Corey in at 15:48 (Score is 58-36)

Corey + Marcus
VCU gives up no points during their time, scored 4 for a +4 in less than two minutes)

14:02 (Score is 62-36)
Hasan (in for Marcus) + Corey
Increase score to 65-38 for a +1

+5 between 15:48 and 11:19, 4:29 of action

11:19 back to traditional 1 big until 2:56

2:56 Hasan + Corey
(85-51)
Duo finishes the game (91-63) for a -6 the final 2:56.

HALF No.2 RESULTS:
Outscored by Bona by 1 with two bigs in 7:25
Outscore Bona by 1 without two bigs in 12:35 of action

OVERALL 2 BIGS VERSUS 1 BIG RESULTS
2 Bigs: +17 in 12:15 of play
1 Big: +11 in 27:45

You could maaaaybe make the argument that the end there was effected by some garbage time action too, thus weakening the two big minute results overall because we were up massively at that point and started dumping the bench. Even with that though we were considerably more dangerous overall TODAY with two bigs on the court. Might not be the case all the time, but today, we totally dominated them when we went big. My calculations say we outscored them by approximately 0.40 points per minute playing our usual small by lineup, which over a full game results in a 16-point win, whereas we outscored them by 1.4 points per minute with two bigs, which over a full game equals a 56-point win :shock: . Again, just a one-game sample, but a style worth monitoring because we looked like world killers playing it today.

(Note: Marcus, Corey and Hasan aren't your old school stereotypical bigs...these dudes can move and defend smaller hoopers).
Thank you. Just watching i could tell it was making a positive impact. Good to see the particulars. And more time doing this will only make it better.
(Please note i said earlier that it coukd help MSSs numbers, it did.)

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Simms was having trouble with Winston. Douglas came in and he did not. Douglas is more help on D and things go better on O as well.
The whole Simms at four is an interesting situation. He works hard and is a great teammate, so nice to see the recognition. Further, if he consistently hits open threes, it is great for spacing and opens up the floor, thus offsets the defensive disadvantages. No doubt he has come up big in a few games—but if he is not on, it can be a tough line-up on both ends. Rhody in particular barely paid him any mind defensively and went right at him a few times on offense, it paid off for them.
I guess the staff has been looking to balance the 1st and 2nd teams given the pace we play—but man, Douglass and MSS (or Ward) together looked like a formidable and flexible defensive combo.

Reactions: mrgeode

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
V
And today was against the tallest team in the A-10. Glad to see Mike Rhoades take Hasan off of the ice and finally give him some minutes. Been preaching for it to happen sooner. The kid needs real minutes, good or bad. He is a third element down low that totally opens up the rest of the offense.
They didnt have osuni...leading shot blocker in the a10...it makes a difference

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
well, I am not going to argue with natty..i didnt think we had the depth to pull it.off..but I am happy...we need 2 bigs.

Reactions: Celticguy

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
And today was against the tallest team in the A-10. Glad to see Mike Rhoades take Hasan off of the ice and finally give him some minutes. Been preaching for it to happen sooner. The kid needs real minutes, good or bad. He is a third element down low that totally opens up the rest of the offense.
The Bonnies were missing their best big today. Osunniyi was out with a concussion.

Reactions: duncanlamb