A10 Basketball: news and discourse around the league

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
venting a bit. why does the a 10 suck so bad? why is it so hard to have three teams have good year at once? our top 5 should be in the same league as the big east, but never is. when teams who are perennially at the bottom start to turn things around they are replaced by teams who are just as bad as they were. seriously Fordham, gw, and Duquesne are all competing at a high level for the first time in a 5 years (Duquesne usually pretty good but horrid last year) just to be replaced by mason, Rhody, and Loyola. three teams who were supposed to have a good year. if all else fails we have Davidson to count on though.

Let's look at some of the teams:

- SLU is 5-2, with a blowout loss to Maryland (currently #22 in the AP Poll) and a narrow loss to #15 Auburn. They're not doing too badly, honestly. They play two more KP top-75 teams in OOC and travel to top-100 Iona, so if they don't lose any games they should obviously win, I think they'll be fine.

- Davidson is performing well but their schedule is not particularly strong: they only play one team ranked higher than #91 on KenPom during the non-conference schedule (Purdue). They really struggled against VMI. Still, I think they are probably the closest competition to SLU for the conference title.

- Dayton has underperformed badly since losing to UNLV, but a lot of it is due to attrition. Dayton was without Koby Brea for a while, and they just lost Kobe Elvis and Malachi Smith indefinitely. After laying a goose egg at Atlantis, they probably have no shot at any sort of postseason berth (NCAA or NIT) unless they pull a Richmond in the A-10 tournament. Despite everything they remain #54 in KenPom but I don't expect them to stay there long.

- Richmond is off to a weird start, but they have a few more opportunities for good wins (at Toledo, vs Drake, vs Clemson), so it's too early to speculate on them. They drew the short straw in conference play, though, so if they don't get those good OOC wins, they won't have many opportunities later.

- Fordham is 6-1 but their wins are against teams with the following KenPom ratings: 311, 331, 246, 338, 340, and 205. They were obliterated by their only KP top-75 opponent in their OOC schedule (#11 Arkansas). GW is 4-2 but their wins are over a non-D1, 263, 310, and 331.

- Duquesne is a glass cannon. They only play one more KP top-100 team in OOC (#96 DePaul, the worst team in the Big East). However, their blowout wins over basketball titans Montana, South Carolina State, and Alabama State are sure to get Bronny James to commit there. Realistically, they will likely fall to the basement very quickly when A-10 play starts.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Let's look at some of the teams:

- SLU is 5-2, with a blowout loss to Maryland (currently #22 in the AP Poll) and a narrow loss to #15 Auburn. They're not doing too badly, honestly. They play two more KP top-75 teams in OOC and travel to top-100 Iona, so if they don't lose any games they should obviously win, I think they'll be fine.

- Davidson is performing well but their schedule is not particularly strong: they only play one team ranked higher than #91 on KenPom during the non-conference schedule (Purdue). They really struggled against VMI. Still, I think they are probably the closest competition to SLU for the conference title.

- Dayton has underperformed badly since losing to UNLV, but a lot of it is due to attrition. Dayton was without Koby Brea for a while, and they just lost Kobe Elvis and Malachi Smith indefinitely. After laying a goose egg at Atlantis, they probably have no shot at any sort of postseason berth (NCAA or NIT) unless they pull a Richmond in the A-10 tournament. Despite everything they remain #54 in KenPom but I don't expect them to stay there long.

- Richmond is off to a weird start, but they have a few more opportunities for good wins (at Toledo, vs Drake, vs Clemson), so it's too early to speculate on them. They drew the short straw in conference play, though, so if they don't get those good OOC wins, they won't have many opportunities later.

- Fordham is 6-1 but their wins are against teams with the following KenPom ratings: 311, 331, 246, 338, 340, and 205. They were obliterated by their only KP top-75 opponent in their OOC schedule (#11 Arkansas). GW is 4-2 but their wins are over a non-D1, 263, 310, and 331.

- Duquesne is a glass cannon. They only play one more KP top-100 team in OOC (#96 DePaul, the worst team in the Big East). However, their blowout wins over basketball titans Montana, South Carolina State, and Alabama State are sure to get Bronny James to commit there. Realistically, they will likely fall to the basement very quickly when A-10 play starts.

Interesting that you don't mention UMass, yet you mention fur, Fordham and Duquesne. Regarding Davidson, no way they are probably the closest competition to SLU for the conference title. The A-10 conference schedule hasn't even started yet. Outside of SLU, Dayton has played the second toughest OOC schedule of all A-10 teams. Clearly, Dayton is still the closest competition to SLU for the conference title - and I would also put UMass ahead of Davidson in that ranking.

Interesting that you don't mention UMass, yet you mention fur, Fordham and Duquesne. Regarding Davidson, no way they are probably the closest competition to SLU for the conference title. The A-10 conference schedule hasn't even started yet. Outside of SLU, Dayton has played the second toughest OOC schedule of all A-10 teams. Clearly, Dayton is still the closest competition to SLU for the conference title - and I would also put UMass ahead of Davidson in that ranking.
umass is relatively unproven. i feel like davidson has the lowest floor in the conference.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
umass is relatively unproven. i feel like davidson has the lowest floor in the conference.

UMass won the Myrtle Beach Invitational and are 4-1 with their only loss being to Towson, which is no slouch. Also Frank Martin is NOT relatively unproven. If anything, Davidson has an unproven new coach in McKillop's son.

Reactions: HBK
UMass won the Myrtle Beach Invitational and are 4-1 with their only loss being to Towson, which is no slouch. Also Frank Martin is NOT relatively unproven. If anything, Davidson has an unproven new coach in McKillop's son.
Davidson will be interesting to watch. Last season they benefited from one of the easier conference schedules. This season they go to Dayton, VCU, SLU.

fair but their best win is against a colorado team who lost to grambling st. also i think the mckillop system is proven. umass has impressed, and i’m not sure what my point is other than i wouldn’t put them over davidson until they earn it.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
fair but their best win is against a colorado team who lost to grambling st. also i think the mckillop system is proven. umass has impressed, and i’m not sure what my point is other than i wouldn’t put them over davidson until they earn it.

Colorado also beat Tennessee and Texas A&M. And FYI - Arizona State lost to Texas Southern and then turned around and beat VCU before laying the smack down on Michigan.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

And just like that, Davidson drops a home game to Charlotte. The same Charlotte team that UMass beat in Myrtle Beach.

And just like that, Davidson drops a home game to Charlotte. The same Charlotte team that UMass beat in Myrtle Beach.
nevertheless davidson 120 in KenPom umass 129. maybe im wrong but my honest guess is that Davidson will finish 4 in a10 and umass 5.

call me crazy, but I don't see Davidson finishing top 5...and I see UMass surprising a lot of A10 teams.
i respect but don’t get this take. davidson has been the most consistent team in the conference over the last few years, and they have possibly the best scorer in the a10 and likely poy candidate

Ramaste

Elite Member
i respect but don’t get this take. davidson has been the most consistent team in the conference over the last few years, and they have possibly the best scorer in the a10 and likely poy candidate
Right now Loyer's gaudy numbers would make him the leading A10 POY. He made a couple threes last night that are highlight reel quality. And he can pass (22 p, 8 a, only 2 tos). Because they don't foul (opposing teams not getting to FT line and players staying on the floor) or turnover the ball, they will stay close to most teams in the A10.

ViCtorioUs

Elite Member
Insider
Last night was a good night for the A10, 9-2. LaSalle and fur being the only teams to poop their beds. Most impressive win was a 24 point beat down the Fightin’ Lil’ Fauntleroys handed the USC Gamecocks.