A10 Basketball: news and discourse around the league

What happened to Loy Chi, I thought they were good?
I mean I guess they have reasons but wow.
Would we be better off adding programs that are big deals in small ponds ( Like VCU) instead of 2nd tier schools in their own markets (LaSalle, Fordham, Loy Chi)?

Almost their entire team graduated.

HBK

Elite Member
I think the problem with the viewers of the net is what they expect it to represent. I don’t look at it as a ranking of the teams from best to worse. It’s more about probability of a team against another team using statistical data. And the more data points you have(games played) the better the information can be used. It a good tool for assisting in picking teams in March but before then its just a talking point
I understand what you are saying. However, if I understand the probability angle you suggest, the NET suggests that it is probable that Virginia Yech would beat Clemson, hence they have a higher NET. Well, Clemson has beaten them twice, and is 12 spots ahead of Virginia Tech in the ACC. In what world does the current NET for these two teams make any sense?

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
I understand what you are saying. However, if I understand the probability angle you suggest, the NET suggests that it is probable that Virginia Yech would beat Clemson, hence they have a higher NET. Well, Clemson has beaten them twice, and is 12 spots ahead of Virginia Tech in the ACC. In what world does the current NET for these two teams make any sense?
I am willing to bet that when we get to march, Clemson is ahead of Va Tech in the Net. The more data you have the more reasonable conclusions you can make. I don’t believe the NET was ever intended to be a Mid season Barometer. Also probability doesn’t equal certainty which is why we play the game.

Looking at Clemson and Va Tech, those teams are only 4 spots apart in the Net and Both Games were games VT could have won. 1 game was a 1 point Clemson win and the other was a 3 point Clemson win. So I would argue the inverse of the intent of the tweet. Two teams that close should play to a one possession game and they did that twice.

ramluvr99

Insider
I think the problem with the viewers of the net is what they expect it to represent. I don’t look at it as a ranking of the teams from best to worse. It’s more about probability of a team against another team using statistical data. And the more data points you have(games played) the better the information can be used. It a good tool for assisting in picking teams in March but before then its just a talking point
that's fair if that's how it is presented, but unfortunately its supposed to be the official comprehensive ranking guide for the committee. I think the most effective system would be two metrics, one that only ranks teams based on the quality of wins and losses (as in just using the quad system) and one that only ranks teams based off efficiency numbers. the former being weighted higher than the ladder.

HBK

Elite Member
I am willing to bet that when we get to march, Clemson is ahead of Va Tech in the Net. The more data you have the more reasonable conclusions you can make. I don’t believe the NET was ever intended to be a Mid season Barometer. Also probability doesn’t equal certainty which is why we play the game.

Looking at Clemson and Va Tech, those teams are only 4 spots apart in the Net and Both Games were games VT could have won. 1 game was a 1 point Clemson win and the other was a 3 point Clemson win. So I would argue the inverse of the intent of the tweet. Two teams that close should play to a one possession game and they did that twice.
I get it, but isn’t the most important point that Clemson WON both games. I guess that’s why the decisions are made by human beings and not just a computer system.

Mistachill

Elite Member
And this is why posters like me consistently claim confusion at the NET. It makes no sense. You can talk margin of victory and efficiency all you want, but in no world should Virginia Tech be rated above Clemson at this point this season.
Just a quick glance at Clemson's non-conference schedule would answer a lot of questions.

HBK

Elite Member
Just a quick glance at Clemson's non-conference schedule would answer a lot of questions.
I looked at it, and both had NET SOS over 200, though Clemson was over 300. Still doesn’t make sense to me, but ultimately it is humans who make the tournament selections, which is a good thing.

Mistachill

Elite Member
I looked at it, and both had NET SOS over 200, though Clemson was over 300. Still doesn’t make sense to me, but ultimately it is humans who make the tournament selections, which is a good thing.
If Clemson ends up on the bubble and gets snubbed they only have themselves to blame...or whoever put that schedule together.

IstanbulRam

Elite Member

Admittedly I think the Frank Martin drama is hilarious. The UMass AD needs to reign him in. Can't have a head coach threatening to fist fight fans and small media accounts. Frank got the UMass twitterers riled up in the off season and loved it now he can't take the heat.

Betting on the other hand seems to be getting out of hand. Even big sports outlets like ESPN seem to be playing into it with "bad beats" bits etc.. Seems like aa huge shift in a short period of time.

Admittedly I think the Frank Martin drama is hilarious. The UMass AD needs to reign him in. Can't have a head coach threatening to fist fight fans and small media accounts. Frank got the UMass twitterers riled up in the off season and loved it now he can't take the heat.

Betting on the other hand seems to be getting out of hand. Even big sports outlets like ESPN seem to be playing into it with "bad beats" bits etc.. Seems like aa huge shift in a short period of time.
Personally, I don't think college sports should be bet on, period.
Too much pressure on the kids, in a lot of different ways.
But the toothpaste has left the tube on that one.