A10/MWC Hoops Challenge

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
The MWC is not the conference we needed to challenge, but the Privilege5 conferences makes the rules. College sports are becoming professional and if you dont like it root for @VaUnion. Millennials fudgeed up everything! ? ?

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
Not sure how exactly it's determined.... but there are at least a couple instances in which teams are playing them like it's a H&H. For example,

In 2017-18 Duke Played at Indiana, In 2018-19..... Indiana played at Duke.

In 2015-16 UVA played at Ohio State, In 2016-17.... Ohio State played at UVA

There were also cases where in 2015-16 Michigan State hosted louisville... but just this past year they played at Louisville.
I think you're guaranteed a Home and Away game for every 2 year peroid. So let's look at one 2 year peroid.

If I got my math right:

1) There's 2 pods of 7 from each conference.
2) The probability that a pod doesn't have any H&H's is 6!/7! = 1/7 (there's 6! ways to sort without a repeat and 7! ways to sort total).
3) The probability both pods do not have any H&Hs is P(A and B) = P(A)P(B|A) = P(A)P(B)=P(A)^2 since the two are independent and equal. So that's 1/49. So for each 2 year peroid.

Just rounding, but there's a 98% chance of a 14 team conference challenge having a H&H if it were random. When we take into consideration that teams are more likely grouped in tiers by performance, locality, and rivalries, it's almost guaranteed that there'd be a H&H every 2 year peroid.

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
UNLV is an awesome opponent. Great history. Hopefully, a fun away game in 2021.
Agreed. We got a solid opponent. Heel states, great history. They might still be down next year. I wish this challenge started this year. This will be a nice trophy win for the program.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Having UNLV at home next year is a great get. Not only for the team and the program but for us fans.
The 90/91 Tark/Larry Johnson/Stacy Augmon/Greg Anthony/Elmore Spencer team was my first college basketball love. I was only a HS junior and they were on network TV a ton. Definitely primed the pump for my eventual lifelong love affair with VCU basketball.

Dec 16, 2013
The 90/91 Tark/Larry Johnson/Stacy Augmon/Greg Anthony/Elmore Spencer team was my first college basketball love. I was only a HS junior and they were on network TV a ton. Definitely primed the pump for my eventual lifelong love affair with VCU basketball.
great team and agree with you an exciting brand of basketball and great talent (especially the 4 you mentioned that had good to great NBA careers) - you left off Anderson Hunt who scored 30 or so points in final vs Duke and was Most Outstanding Player for UNLV in Final 4 (championship) but he was probably no better than their 5th best player

Reactions: Newboy
May 4, 2012
great team and agree with you an exciting brand of basketball and great talent (especially the 4 you mentioned that had good to great NBA careers) - you left off Anderson Hunt who scored 30 or so points in final vs Duke and was Most Outstanding Player for UNLV in Final 4 (championship) but he was probably no better than their 5th best player
Great team and Tark got to hand his NC banner b4 Duke did using K's attempted insult that he would not hang a banner until all his seniors graduated.
I always smile when I think about Tark.

Reactions: Newboy

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
It's hard to get a handle on who's going to be good two seasons out, so you hope for the biggest names possible if they're going to plan it this far out. To me, that's San Diego State and Vegas. Nevada as pointed out is rebuilding, Utah State has been good of late but who knows how long that lasts, and none of the other MWC schools are particularly sexy, at least right now (maybe if New Mexico gets back to being New Mexico?)

Wonder why they did pull the trigger on pairings this early? Couldn't they have banged this out in the next offseason? It's a cross-country trip, not an international one.

Reactions: Ramcounter