A10/MWC Hoops Challenge

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
It's hard to get a handle on who's going to be good two seasons out, so you hope for the biggest names possible if they're going to plan it this far out. To me, that's San Diego State and Vegas. Nevada as pointed out is rebuilding, Utah State has been good of late but who knows how long that lasts, and none of the other MWC schools are particularly sexy, at least right now (maybe if New Mexico gets back to being New Mexico?)

Wonder why they did pull the trigger on pairings this early? Couldn't they have banged this out in the next offseason? It's a cross-country trip, not an international one.
You read my mind. With the transfers and guys possibly leaving for the draft early why not wait until next off season.

Reactions: MemTGRS

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
IMHO the A-10 is the much better conference. That said, I think this is great and look forward to the games. We have a few MW/VCU connections that I am aware of: Wyoming and VCU: Benny Dees, Allen Edwards (current UW coach), Tony Pujols (prior UW assistant), Jeremy Shyatt (current UW assistant) and now PJ Byrd at Colorado State. I'm sure there are more....

I can only hope VCU makes it to Laramie at some point (or vice versa). It's not an easy trip to the High Plains (not even including the weather factor).

Ovis fan

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
"We have a few MW/VCU connections that I am aware of: Wyoming and VCU: Benny Dees, Allen Edwards (current UW coach), Tony Pujols (prior UW assistant), Jeremy Shyatt (current UW assistant) and now PJ Byrd at Colorado State. I'm sure there are more.... " Ovis fan (2 degree alum of UW, including 7 years of nearly continuous winter).

MemTGRS

Top Member
Apr 27, 2009
First, congratulations on making the rankings.

I wish that the AAC would work a challenge with the A-10 but rumors are we are holding out (probably unrealistic) for something with the Pac-12. I do greatly respect how the A-10 gets the max I will note.

In that line, we (AAC) will now need to expand to match them fully one-for-one. You guys (if interested?... we seem to be debating that part) seem to be such an overwhelming choice, it seems almost routine now. The waiver for two years was just approved to continue the football title game. And folks noting who to best invite as football only to pair with the Rams after that window expires ... BYU soundly to mirror like we already now have with Navy/Wichita State.

Speaking of them, I would like to think there would be an immediate big time double black & gold rivalry. Perhaps close to the level with ODU in the CAA days?

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
First, congratulations on making the rankings.

I wish that the AAC would work a challenge with the A-10 but rumors are we are holding out (probably unrealistic) for something with the Pac-12. I do greatly respect how the A-10 gets the max I will note.

In that line, we (AAC) will now need to expand to match them fully one-for-one. You guys (if interested?... we seem to be debating that part) seem to be such an overwhelming choice, it seems almost routine now. The waiver for two years was just approved to continue the football title game. And folks noting who to best invite as football only to pair with the Rams after that window expires ... BYU soundly to mirror like we already now have with Navy/Wichita State.

Speaking of them, I would like to think there would be an immediate big time double black & gold rivalry. Perhaps close to the level with ODU in the CAA days?
Yikes. An AAC/A10 challenge would be better for the AAC than an AAC/Pac-12 challenge, I think.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Yikes. An AAC/A10 challenge would be better for the AAC than an AAC/Pac-12 challenge, I think.
Why would you think that? Games against programs like UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, California, Southern Cal, Utah, Stanford, etc. brings in premier names and good TV slots. Those matchups would put butts in the seats for AAC home games. It doesn’t really matter that the PAC 12 has been the weakest P5 conference in recent years.

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009
Depends on the lens you are looking through. There is a lot of upside to Pac12
  1. Pac12 has there own network so every game can be on TV(out of sheer boredom, I find myself watching Pac12 games during the off season
  2. No A10 has the Arizona, Oregon or UCLA branding
With all of that said, I agree and have stated I wish it was an A10/AAC matchup but I understand why if they can get the PAC12 they would. Honest question Would you rather play UNLV(who we drew) or USC/UCLA(USC finished 6th in the net in the p12 last year like UNLV did in the MWC and UCLA is projected as 8th in the P12 in like UNLV is this year

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
I would be fine settling for allowing teams to opt out of a conference game vs a home and home paring. Wouldn’t it better for the top programs to schedule a home and home or a neutral vs a top 100 team instead of a 2nd game vs a 200-300 ranked team?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2014
I would be fine settling for allowing teams to opt out of a conference game vs a home and home paring. Wouldn’t it better for the top programs to schedule a home and home or a neutral vs a top 100 team instead of a 2nd game vs a 200-300 ranked team?
Dude, I dig your posts but they make me think too much, and thinking is.......hard.

Reactions: Ramcounter

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Makes total sense that the AAC would be better off playing the A10 vs. the PAC-12 since the PAC-12 has two teams ranked in the AP Top 25 higher than the A10's lone AP Top 25 team. :shock: :roll:

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Depends on the lens you are looking through. There is a lot of upside to Pac12
  1. Pac12 has there own network so every game can be on TV(out of sheer boredom, I find myself watching Pac12 games during the off season
  2. No A10 has the Arizona, Oregon or UCLA branding
With all of that said, I agree and have stated I wish it was an A10/AAC matchup but I understand why if they can get the PAC12 they would. Honest question Would you rather play UNLV(who we drew) or USC/UCLA(USC finished 6th in the net in the p12 last year like UNLV did in the MWC and UCLA is projected as 8th in the P12 in like UNLV is this year
Honestly... UCLA... no question.

1. UCLA would probably bring more fans overall.

2. Recent history, despite some rough years for UCLA off and on... they've still been better than UNLV. UNLV hasn't made the NCAA Tourney since 2013. Since the 2013 season, UCLA made 3 Sweet 16's, and made the tourney (first four) in another year. Sure they missed the NCAA in 2016 and this past year.... but overall I'd still say they're a better one to schedule than UNLV at the moment.

3. It's better to schedule a P5 conference (Pac 12) than a Non P5 conference (Mountain West) usually if you can get it.

Plus I think Mick Cronin (former Cincinnati coach) will do well at UCLA.

Both schools are rich in history of course, and if there were return trips... both would be fun to visit (I've actually driven by UNLV before, when my family went to Vegas years ago, but never actually visited the campus).

Last edited:
Reactions: TampaKAP