A10/MWC Hoops Challenge

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
Dude, I dig your posts but they make me think too much, and thinking is.......hard.
Sorry for the confusion. If that isn’t exhibit A for proofreading a post before hitting post I don’t know what is. My main point was that I am not sure the 18 game conference schedule switch was the best idea. Instead of getting another non conference game that can be used for an additional Q1-2 game, teams could instead be forced to play a game vs a Q3-4 conference opponent.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Sorry for the confusion. If that isn’t exhibit A for proofreading a post before hitting post I don’t know what is. My main point was that I am not sure the 18 game conference schedule switch was the best idea. Instead of getting another non conference game that can be used for an additional Q1-2 game, teams could instead be forced to play a game vs a Q3-4 conference opponent.
But what if you end up losing a Q1-2 conference opponent instead? Even the best-intentioned plans can blow up when a conference favorite implodes or an also-ran hits the fast lane. Plus you still want to win your conference, which means getting the best seed possible, and you don't want to run the risk of getting a two seed against tough competition while someone else gets the top seed because they played tomato cans more often than not.

Reactions: Ramcounter

Ramcounter

Top Member
Dec 7, 2011
But what if you end up losing a Q1-2 conference opponent instead? Even the best-intentioned plans can blow up when a conference favorite implodes or an also-ran hits the fast lane. Plus you still want to win your conference, which means getting the best seed possible, and you don't want to run the risk of getting a two seed against tough competition while someone else gets the top seed because they played tomato cans more often than not.
That is certainly a possibility. On the flip side, did playing GW twice last year when their Kenpom ranking was 293 provide any upside? Or Mason twice in 2016 when they were Kenpom rank 198 where VCU lost on the road? At least if the conference dropped 1 game from the schedule it would allow teams to attempt to schedule game that fits their needs.

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
That is certainly a possibility. On the flip side, did playing GW twice last year when their Kenpom ranking was 293 provide any upside? Or Mason twice in 2016 when they were Kenpom rank 198 where VCU lost on the road? At least if the conference dropped 1 game from the schedule it would allow teams to attempt to schedule game that fits their needs.
That happens. Everyone has bad conference games, including the power conferences. That's an occupational hazard. The only way to have total autonomy over your schedule is to go independent.

VCU has plenty of opportunities to schedule out of conference according to their needs. I don't recommend the A-10 follow the big conferences' trend of going to 20 games, but VCU does not hurt for good games and as far as I can tell are not being held back from other good games because of their conference obligations.

Reactions: Ramcounter