A10 Tournament could be moved to VCU!!!

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009

VCU’s Siegel Center has emerged as an option for the A-10 men’s basketball tournament if the league determines it’s impractical to hold the championship at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center during the pandemic

Apr 21, 2009
It took less than a decade for the A10 to recognize what the CAA had known for years- You might as well have the tournament in the home city of the hegemon, for revenue purposes and for exposure.

It is a shame that it took a pandemic for this conference to honor and obey thy master. Now pay tribute.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011

VCU’s Siegel Center has emerged as an option for the A-10 men’s basketball tournament if the league determines it’s impractical to hold the championship at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center during the pandemic
They’re also considering moving it to the Robins Center so I wouldn’t get my hopes up just yet. Then again moving it to the Siegel Center would probably make more logistical sense since the women’s tournament is already being held there a few days before.

Reactions: wavevcu
Mar 27, 2011
Pivoting to Richmond would bring event close to league HQ in Newport News and to same city hosting the A-10 women's tournament the previous week

TampaKAP

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Richmond is a good idea and using both VCU and UR make sense. Put one side of the bracket on one campus and the other side on the other campus. If VCU and UR are on opposite sides of the bracket, then you send the respective bracket to the opposite campus. This will provide better containment and allow more time for cleaning between games. You reduce the number of "attendees" that have t0 potentially come in contact. This would also be a practice run for tournament teams as it will be across a couple locations.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Richmond is a good idea and using both VCU and UR make sense. Put one side of the bracket on one campus and the other side on the other campus. If VCU and UR are on opposite sides of the bracket, then you send the respective bracket to the opposite campus. This will provide better containment and allow more time for cleaning between games. You reduce the number of "attendees" that have t0 potentially come in contact. This would also be a practice run for tournament teams as it will be across a couple locations.
I actually like this idea.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I wonder if the A10 would consider having only 8 or 10 teams qualify for the conference tournament.
I know Pillow Fight Wednesday is typically broadcasted on ESPN+ so I'm guessing passing on that won't be an issue.

Reactions: duncanlamb

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

No need to even use fur when VCU will have all requirements/protocols in place from the women's A-10 Tournament the week prior. Also, no need for the A-10 to double their expense when revenue is probably at an all time low.

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
Oh, I second this. You should email Commissioner Bernadette McGlade with this suggestion to make VCU and the RVA even more attractive to this option. And in a few years when the new basketball complex is built over by the old BEST headquarters the RVA can become even more attractive for A10 tournaments in the future 😁

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
Why isn't the coliseum being considered? Not for the fan experience, but to be able to spread the teams out better. (I don't have access to RTD).
The Brown Spaceship has been all but abandoned. Mayor Stoney had anticipated that his Navy Hill project, that has basically moved to BEST HQ, was going to be successful and the Coliseum would have been torn down. It was in bad shape before, I can't imagine how much it's detreated over the last 2 years...

• Sad
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM