A10 Tournament could be moved to VCU!!!

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012

Is this the same?
That's the place. It was more like a hanger than an arena. Most of the "heat" in the place came from the people in the seats. Just a horrible place where I saw some amazing things as a kid. I remember going to college basketball and Harlem Globetrotter games with my father. Also saw the James Gang and the Amboy Dukes there (apparently on 8/27/1971, according to the internet).

Mar 2, 2014
Pretty sure Dr. J may have played there for the Squires or may have moved on to the Nets when the Squires moved to the coliseum

RamDanFan

Top Member
Jan 19, 2015
Yes. It was before my time. It was still there when I went to VCU but it was not used much.

I remember going to livestock auctions with my parents somewhere over near there back in the late 70’s. One time a really dangerous bull got out and injured someone really bad. Does anyone else remember the stockyard near Hermitage and Leigh Streets?

May 5, 2009
I remember Davidson with Lefty beating WVU in the finals of the Southern Conference tournament.

BigE

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
They’re also considering moving it to the Robins Center so I wouldn’t get my hopes up just yet. Then again moving it to the Siegel Center would probably make more logistical sense since the women’s tournament is already being held there a few days before.
why not use both that way you can have the men and women the same week.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
why not use both that way you can have the men and women the same week.

The men will still be playing regular season games the week of the women's tournament. Plus, I'm sure the women aren't going to give up their limited TV exposure by moving their tournament to the same timeframe as the men. VCU does NOT need fur to pull off both tournaments.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I remember going to livestock auctions with my parents somewhere over near there back in the late 70’s. One time a really dangerous bull got out and injured someone really bad. Does anyone else remember the stockyard near Hermitage and Leigh Streets?
That’s before my time but that sounds cool af!

Reactions: RamDanFan

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
Yes. It was before my time. It was still there when I went to VCU but it was not used much.
Before my time too, since we are close to the same. But so many of our old timers talk about it, and I think you guys know we have quite a few old timers...

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The Brown Spaceship has been all but abandoned. Mayor Stoney had anticipated that his Navy Hill project, that has basically moved to BEST HQ, was going to be successful and the Coliseum would have been torn down. It was in bad shape before, I can't imagine how much it's detreated over the last 2 years...
And it hasn't just been sitting. I am not sure exactly what or how much, but they took quite a bit of equipment out of there when they shut it down. It would take a major renovation to open it back up again.

SpiderRAM

Top Member
Insider
Aug 17, 2014
And it hasn't just been sitting. I am not sure exactly what or how much, but they took quite a bit of equipment out of there when they shut it down. It would take a major renovation to open it back up again.
I drove past it on a Saturday morning a few weeks ago and there were so many people huddled up along the perimeter under blankets.