A10 Tournament could be moved to VCU!!!

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I drove past it on a Saturday morning a few weeks ago and there were so many people huddled up along the perimeter under blankets.
They could at least open the door and let them inside. The building is just waiting to be demolished anyway.

Feb 14, 2011
Doesn’t it look the same everywhere? Based on some of what I have seen, the despair seems to have hit every big city.
I travel quite a bit and not EVERY medium size city even comes close to what our city looks like right now. What ticks me off the most is the lack of motivation to clean it up, pick up the pieces, it seems they aren't even trying.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Pretty sure Dr. J may have played there for the Squires or may have moved on to the Nets when the Squires moved to the coliseum
He did. I remember watching the Squires at the Coliseum but have no memory of watching them at the Arena

Apr 20, 2009
I know they played in the brown spaceship. I thought they moved to the Arena when they couldn't draw fans and also started playing games in Norfolk.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
I know they played in the brown spaceship. I thought they moved to the Arena when they couldn't draw fans and also started playing games in Norfolk.
It was always a regional team. Played in RVA, Hampton, Norfolk and Roanoke. Started at the Arena until the Coliseum opened. Also played at the ODU Field House. Played most of their games in Norfolk actually.

Apr 20, 2009
It was always a regional team. Played in RVA, Hampton, Norfolk and Roanoke. Started at the Arena until the Coliseum opened. Also played at the ODU Field House. Played most of their games in Norfolk actually.
I was around 10 years old back then and didn't make great mental notes of it. Now, I'm almost 60 and those mental notes would be hard to recall if I had made them.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
He did. I remember watching the Squires at the Coliseum but have no memory of watching them at the Arena

The Virginia Squires played in the Richmond Arena during the 1970-71 season. The Richmond Coliseum opened in 1971 and the Squires played in the Richmond Coliseum 1971 - 76. They also only played at the fodu Fieldhouse one year (1970-71) and at the Roanoke Civic Center one year (1971-72.

I remember watching Mid-Atlantic Wresting in the Arena while I was in college. Wahoo McDaniel took a folding chair a beat another wrestler with it in front of the locker rooms and the crowd literally pushed a picket fence being used as a barrier within 5 feet of them. :lol: They also used to roll in one of those Pepsi/Mountain Dew outdoor trailers to serve as a concession stand. Pretty sure they also hosted numerous Roller Derby events in the Arena.

Reactions: Newboy

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
The GMU people loved having the CAA tournament at the Coliseum so much : ) They will absolutely lose their minds if the A-10 tournament is held at the Siegel Center. That's enough reason right there to relocate.
They could play the tournament on the moon and GMU wouldn't be a contender.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008
Jan 11, 2020
I travel quite a bit and not EVERY medium size city even comes close to what our city looks like right now. What ticks me off the most is the lack of motivation to clean it up, pick up the pieces, it seems they aren't even trying.
I've never seen anything like it. Every other city I go to is at least clean. The area near the Coliseum is a disgrace to the city.