Ace Baldwin commits to vcu!

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Place Setting, coffee maker, Lexus, duffle bag with 50K. Guest list with sneaker executives and agents. Recruits just need to marry high school sweetheart. Wonder what the NCAA rules for throwing a shower are?
I think some player at UVa put his wedding registry on facebook....so his friends could see it but it was public so he had to remove it per the NCAA.....or something along those lines.

Reactions: WI.Ram10

SWV

Top Member
Jan 10, 2016
I think some player at UVa put his wedding registry on facebook....so his friends could see it but it was public so he had to remove it per the NCAA.....or something along those lines.
From what I've understood, UVA asked him to make it private as part of their own review. NCAA hadn't gotten involved yet.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
The NCAA then stated that a wedding registry didn't violate the rules on impermissible benefits...which a lot of people figured it didn't seeing as any rando can go open a wedding registry.

Reactions: BradRamFan

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
The NCAA then stated that a wedding registry didn't violate the rules on impermissible benefits...which a lot of people figured it didn't seeing as any rando can go open a wedding registry.
One question is whether the wedding registry (or appeal in Ace's case) trades off of his status as a basketball player. I assume the registry did not, but the go fund me has a pic of Ace in his uni, I think

Mar 20, 2019
Just a heads up. Ace has a GoFundMe for his father's battle with leukemia.

I have no idea what the NCAA would think about Ram fans donating to this GoFundMe, but knowing them I would imagine their stance is totally backwards.

Folks might want to wait for some sort of official word from the sports compliance before donating, should they choose to do so.
NCCA is ok with this type of charitable donation.
An athlete may participate in non-sports related crowdfunding provided that there is “no relationship to nor mention of athletics”.

Reactions: connell
May 4, 2012
I think Ace having another year to develop is a good thing. Not sure what coach will do with Mobley's spot. One could argue having an experienced guard is more important than getting a big man for next year.
One could also argue that having lost two of your four big is your biggest problem.

Reactions: JDPolio

2012Ram

Top Member
Insider
Feb 28, 2013
An athlete may participate in non-sports related crowdfunding provided that there is “no relationship to nor mention of athletics”.
The GoFundMe page has a picture of Ace in his basketball jersey

Reactions: N Mollen

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Not so fast

• An athlete may not receive funds (via crowdfunding or otherwise) from an agent or a representative of an institution’s athletics interests (e.g. a “booster club”) or an institutional staff member.
  • An athlete may participate in non-sports related crowdfunding provided that there is “no relationship to nor mention of athletics”. For example, a soccer player could conduct a crowdfunding campaign to raise money to make a documentary film about pollution as long as she did not mention her status as an athlete.

May 4, 2012
Not so fast

• An athlete may not receive funds (via crowdfunding or otherwise) from an agent or a representative of an institution’s athletics interests (e.g. a “booster club”) or an institutional staff member.
  • An athlete may participate in non-sports related crowdfunding provided that there is “no relationship to nor mention of athletics”. For example, a soccer player could conduct a crowdfunding campaign to raise money to make a documentary film about pollution as long as she did not mention her status as an athlete.
Ruh roh