Ace Baldwin commits to vcu!

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
Fun fact: Ace Baldwin is the eighth highest rated player ever to commit to VCU. Bones Hyland is the third. Mikael Brown-Jones is 11th, Josh Banks is 15th, and Jamir Watkins is around 27 or 28. We're going to have some seriously talented underclassmen next year.

Another fun fact: PJ Byrd is the ninth highest player to ever commit to VCU. I had no idea. I truly thought he was a two star recruit.

Here's the top nine from 247Sports.com:

6cbe8057-3fcf-4c07-abd1-d1eb7434e423.png

Reactions: The Melvin

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Ace + Bones + Tre gives us 3 really good ball-handlers to deploy. And plenty of size with the vets and Jamir + MBJ (+1?). We are gonna make a TON of boneheaded plays next year but we will be super athletic, skilled, and looooong
so the difference between this year and next is we will be super athletic, skilled and looooong?

Reactions: MobileMunchies

TAEKWONDO

Insider
May 22, 2019
Being an old ram I know the top nine from 247 is not correct. Highest recruit I know was a player by the name of Kendrick Warren. Also, I believe there was an early 1980's a backcourt, who Bob Gibbons a recruiting expert stated was the best recruited back court in the nation that year, and those players were Calvin Duncan, and Rolando Lamb.

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
Being an old ram I know the top nine from 247 is not correct. Highest recruit I know was a player by the name of Kendrick Warren. Also, I believe there was an early 1980's a backcourt, who Bob Gibbons a recruiting expert stated was the best recruited back court in the nation that year, and those players were Calvin Duncan, and Rolando Lamb.
Yessir. I am an idiot and you are correct. I didn't think far enough back, and I should be banging my head against the wall because Warren played for VCU while I was a student. I guess you could say that perhaps it was the top nine since the current grading system existed.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
Yessir. I am an idiot and you are correct. I didn't think far enough back, and I should be banging my head against the wall because Warren played for VCU while I was a student. I guess you could say that perhaps it was the top nine since the current grading system existed.
The 247 list only goes back to the Shaka era. It doesn't consider people that dinos like me remember.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
so the difference between this year and next is we will be super athletic, skilled and looooong?
I'm not sure what your question is. There are a bunch of differences between the roster this year and next. We have 5 seniors on this year's team. They generally will be replaced by kids who are know-nothing freshmen who are also longer, more athletic and (WAG) more skilled. So I think we will out-talent and out-bully people next year we can't this year but will make (even more) boneheaded low-IQ plays because freshmen are like that.

Jan 17, 2010
If recruiting services aren't very good at predicting outcomes then why do we place stock in their rankings?
I mean you take them with a grain of salt. The top 100 I believe has a pretty good hit rate and most of the lower ranked recruits don’t pan out. Tre Clark has obviously better acclimated himself than Byrd did and their rankings are super far apart. In short, if nothing else, it provides another college basketball related thing to banter about and compare schools with while no ball is being played.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I'm not sure what your question is. There are a bunch of differences between the roster this year and next. We have 5 seniors on this year's team. They generally will be replaced by kids who are know-nothing freshmen who are also longer, more athletic and (WAG) more skilled. So I think we will out-talent and out-bully people next year we can't this year but will make (even more) boneheaded low-IQ plays because freshmen are like that.
it was mainly a comment that we currently make a lot of boneheaded plays already—was communicating excitement albeit in a hamhanded way.