Ace Baldwin commits to vcu!

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
@PRock love that comparison, and that's against some of the top talent in the country. From the full games I've seen, he would have easily averaged double digit assists if his teammates didn't miss a few easy looks. I wasn't familiar with Baltimore basketball at first, and hadn't heard of Poly, but that team has studs and the records to back it up. Ace tore them up and gave them one of their only two losses. Heck of a game to watch! Perhaps best of all, he buried them with free throws under pressure in the 4th qtr. If he were bigger, we wouldn't have him.

I still think he could be a day 1 starter. If he does, and Bones plays the 2, and plug in whoever at the 3 and 4, our shooting woes will most likely disappear, because so many great passes and open looks should automatically do that. That's even if Bones has a "sophomore slump" and only shoots 35-40% from 3, instead of his freshman 43%, ha. Then we would just hope the bench players step up their shooting, and a reliable 6th man emerges. If MBJ puts up even close to similar numbers to what he just did at IMG, we'll have a great offense and great season. I hope he can be reliable from midrange, and step out and hit the occasional 3, a'la Skeen.

Last edited:

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
@PRock love that comparison, and that's against some of the top talent in the country. From the full games I've seen, he would have easily averaged double digit assists if his teammates didn't miss a few easy looks. I wasn't familiar with Baltimore basketball at first, and hadn't heard of Poly, but that team has studs and the records to back it up. Ace tore them up and gave them one of their only two losses. Heck of a game to watch! Perhaps best of all, he buried them with free throws under pressure in the 4th qtr. If he were bigger, we wouldn't have him.

I still think he could be a day 1 starter. If he does, and Bones plays the 2, and plug in whoever at the 3 and 4, our shooting woes will most likely disappear, because so many great passes and open looks should automatically do that. That's even if Bones has a "sophomore slump" and only shoots 35-40% from 3, instead of his freshman 43%, ha. Then we would just hope the bench players step up their shooting, and a reliable 6th man emerges. If MBJ puts up even close to similar numbers to what he just did at IMG, we'll have a great offense and great season. I hope he can be reliable from midrange, and step out and hit the occasional 3, a'la Skeen.
Poly was thought to be the best team in B-more before St. Frances beat them. The Baltimore Catholic league is tough, add to that they played some of the top teams in the country, totally wiping the floor up with Oak Hill. The first game I saw him, they played a team I was not familiar with, middle of the pack BCL. These guys ran out on the court and I thought it was a college team. 4 guys 6'8" or better and their best player was a 6'7" guy who was their best ball handler and 3 point shooter. St. Frances beat them solidly but not easily. They had no answer for Ace, if he wasn't drilling threes, driving and elevating (often over the 6'7" guy) and hitting mid range, he was drawing the D dishing to team mates for wide open shots. This team beats St. Frances without Ace. With Ace St. Frances won by 16.

Apr 21, 2009
I really hope I am wrong but Ace may be a little overrated. Bones, Tre Clark should start over him and although not on scholarship Henderson is another good point guard

• Haha
Reactions: N Mollen

WI.Ram10

Top Member
Aug 4, 2017
I really hope I am wrong but Ace may be a little overrated. Bones, Tre Clark should start over him and although not on scholarship Henderson is another good point guard
If ace isn’t better than Arnold were in trouble. I think ace is very legit. Helpful providing major contribution by mid season

Reactions: 2012Ram

Ramwitch

Top Member
Dec 2, 2014
Lol based on what? He was touted as a “Shaka level get” by one of the board’s biggest recruiting critics

Reactions: senor ram