Ace Baldwin is a major upgrade

rammad90

Elite Member
I hate to say it but I think Ace's knee injury was probably the best thing to happen to him. He was just an ok shooter as a freshman but due to his injury and inability to play for half a year, he said he focused on shooting. I think it has helped him immensely. And it is not just shooting....the kid has an uncanny ability to drive to the hoop and score, shoot the three, pull up jumper as well as distribute. He will be very, very hard to replace when the time comes.
I cant support the "his knee injury was probably the best thing to happen to him" line of thought. First, he didnt sit out a year. He actually missed some games last season that if healthy would have likely propelled his team into the dance. If he got to the dance he gets more exposure.

Second, he would have had even mort time to work on his shot (his one weak spot coming in) had he not been hurt (he wouldnt have spent that extra time rehabbing). Finally, legs are the most important element to your shot the time lost actually hurt his development.

one of the best point guard games in quite awhile for a VCU PG - little better shooting from teammates and it turns into a double/double
did others think the refs allowed the Vandy guard too much contact with Ace without calling fouls - I did but am glad that Ace still plays through contact better than any PG we have had for over a decade.

team plays with more pep in the step when Ace is out their leading the charges

go VCU and go ACE (baltimore tough)

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
one of the best point guard games in quite awhile for a VCU PG - little better shooting from teammates and it turns into a double/double
did others think the refs allowed the Vandy guard too much contact with Ace without calling fouls - I did but am glad that Ace still plays through contact better than any PG we have had for over a decade.

team plays with more pep in the step when Ace is out their leading the charges

go VCU and go ACE (baltimore tough)
They got called for a bunch of fouls but I felt like they should have been called for more. They set a bunch of moving picks on those 3 points shots they made.

They got called for a bunch of fouls but I felt like they should have been called for more. They set a bunch of moving picks on those 3 points shots they made.
They're not going to call everything, so I'm not complaining. One thing coaches, players, and fans should want is consistency. With that, they let 23 consistently get away with hip checks to free up Stute.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
They're not going to call everything, so I'm not complaining. One thing coaches, players, and fans should want is consistency. With that, they let 23 consistently get away with hip checks to free up Stute.

And they called a lot more fouls in favor of VCU - being SEC refs. I have no complaint with the refs last night. If I were a Vanderbilt fan, that might not be the case.

SteveMM

Elite Member
But think about this .... Baldwin gets zero points (since he didn't play) vs. Kennesaw and 28 vs. Vandy .... Nunn gets 24 vs. Kennesaw and zero vs. Vandy .... I'm guessing over the season; the guards will COMBINE for 24-to-28 points a game.
Frankly, I'd sooner Ace got 15 points and eight or nine assists, but I'll take 28 points and three assists from him sometimes.

I hate to say it but I think Ace's knee injury was probably the best thing to happen to him. He was just an ok shooter as a freshman but due to his injury and inability to play for half a year, he said he focused on shooting. I think it has helped him immensely. And it is not just shooting....the kid has an uncanny ability to drive to the hoop and score, shoot the three, pull up jumper as well as distribute. He will be very, very hard to replace when the time comes.
Agree. And using one more year to continue his development could make him a first round pick. I’m hoping Ace stays another year to continue his O improvement and reducing turnovers, but if professional advisors say otherwise he knows RamNation will be cheering him on.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
I cant support the "his knee injury was probably the best thing to happen to him" line of thought. First, he didnt sit out a year. He actually missed some games last season that if healthy would have likely propelled his team into the dance. If he got to the dance he gets more exposure.

Second, he would have had even mort time to work on his shot (his one weak spot coming in) had he not been hurt (he wouldnt have spent that extra time rehabbing). Finally, legs are the most important element to your shot the time lost actually hurt his development.
There’s also the fact that he didn’t have a knee injury.