All Rhoades lead to VCU 2019: WELCOME Henderson, McAllister, Clark, Ward & Hyland

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
PJ got about 9 minutes a game. I would expect slightly more than that for Bones.

If he's averaging more than 15 I think things will be going either exceptionally well or exceptionally poorly. We shall see.
Not sure PJ is in the same league as Bones. PJ could have gotten more minutes if he had of been a better contributor when he was on the court. Bones appears to be a higher level athlete coming in to VCU.

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Not sure PJ is in the same league as Bones. PJ could have gotten more minutes if he had of been a better contributor when he was on the court. Bones appears to be a higher level athlete coming in to VCU.
No argument there, and I think Bones will get more minutes, just in the 12ish range. So games probably a good bit more. Being able to shoot off the dribble almost guarantees more. If he can back up ME more or less full time that would be fantastic - would let Malik play his natural position more and hopefully look for his own shot instead of having to run the offense.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I wonder what he meant by "Bones will play a lot." This year's roster is loaded. Evans, Crowfield, Simms, Vann, Jenkins, Williams, Silva, Douglas and Curry are back. Then add the other freshmen who might get time and it does not really translate into "play a lot". My guess is Bones will get 12 to 15 minutes per game. The 2020-21 season will be when he gets big minutes. Also, I do not see how Marcus Evans is going to get 25 a night. This year scoring will be spread out in my opinion. One night he might get 25 and the next night it could be Jenkins, Silva or Vann who has a big game but overall I think that there will be parity when it comes to offensive output. Vince Williams had a great freshman year that translated into 5 points per game but he helped. I expect about the same from Bones.
In one of his recent WW radio shows, Mike Rhoades says that he expects Marcus Santos Silva to operate more away from the basket, take his man off the dribble and draw fouls, like 8-10 foul shot attempts per game. He wants Silva to hit them at least a 70 clip.

If someone is averaging 8-10 foul shots a game then he is one of the first 2 options every time down the floor.

It also offers the prospect of inverting the offense and letting guards and wings post up.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
In one of his recent WW radio shows, Mike Rhoades says that he expects Marcus Santos Silva to operate more away from the basket, take his man off the dribble and draw fouls, like 8-10 foul shot attempts per game. He wants Silva to hit them at least a 70 clip.

If someone is averaging 8-10 foul shots a game then he is one of the first 2 options every time down the floor.

It also offers the prospect of inverting the offense and letting guards and wings post up.
JD used to invert the floor which you can do when you have big guards that can post up their smaller defender. Seems to me the only way MSS is going to take his man off the dribble while away from the basket is if he's a threat to hit the outside shot forcing his man to come out of the paint to defend him. Otherwise his defender stays in the paint clogging up the middle making it more difficult for others to drive. Hope this means he has developed that shot. If so, he'll really be a tough out.

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
A07E8B70-545D-46C8-8600-E9780E21DC32.jpeg504653F6-AB63-400E-84CD-4B11F36D9434.jpeg
FWIW. Not quite sure I agree with the new guys getting this many minutes but we’ll see. Sorry if the pics come out huge, I put them in to be able to go back and see how projected stacks up to actual...
About 40 minutes/game opening up?
Bart’s projections for 2020

Last year

Last edited:

BradRamFan

Top Member
May 1, 2009
Actually, I do hope Bones gets a bit more playing time late in the season....even with Bones at the 1 and Marcus at the 2 at times. With Marcus leaving after this year, we will need someone with a bit of experience going into next fall.

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Actually, I do hope Bones gets a bit more playing time late in the season....even with Bones at the 1 and Marcus at the 2 at times. With Marcus leaving after this year, we will need someone with a bit of experience going into next fall.
15 minutes seems like good minutes to me. He might get around that.

Reactions: mrgeode

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
Dude dances PG's all over the floor in front of him. Ankle breaker. I think you all will be pleasantly surprised. High 4 stars aren't 8 minute guys. I'll go back to my closet now before riling you guys up again with another astonishing Kook Aid comment.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2014
Dude dances PG's all over the floor in front of him. Ankle breaker. I think you all will be pleasantly surprised. High 4 stars aren't 8 minute guys. I'll go back to my closet now before riling you guys up again with another astonishing Kook Aid comment.
Promise?