All Rhoades lead to VCU 2019: WELCOME Henderson, McAllister, Clark, Ward & Hyland

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
Crow is a two and had no business playing the point. These need kids need to develop and will play the point better than Crow who can be very effective as a two.
We needed him to fill that role and if he ever hopes to get paid to play, getting the reps he did will help his chances.

Mistachill

Elite Member
Crow is a two and had no business playing the point. These need kids need to develop and will play the point better than Crow who can be very effective as a two.
I completely agree. He was playing the point because we didn't have any other viable options. Obviously Byrd wasn't ready or couldn't be relied upon. We need more from our backup point guard than just not committing turnovers. We need someone who could make plays. And it wasn't Crow's fault. Like you said, he's not a point guard. We need Crow to knock down open looks.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider
None of the freshman at thIs point know offensives sets or player tendencies. Mike Rhoades , at this point, trusts crow and says he has calming effect on the other players.

The freshman will get s chance to play pg but I don't rhoades allowing any of them to run the team this early against LSU, PuPurdueor Tennessee/FSU.

Those games are too important to our chances in March. Mike will start crow as backup and gradually bring one of the others along as the season progresses.

The freshman will play alot off the ball and get it isolations where they can take their man off the dribble. They all do it very well.

Mistachill

Elite Member
None of the freshman at thIs point know offensives sets or player tendencies. Mike Rhoades , at this point, trusts crow and says he has calming effect on the other players.

The freshman will get s chance to play pg but I don't rhoades allowing any of them to run the team this early against LSU, PuPurdueor Tennessee/FSU.

Those games are too important to our chances in March. Mike will start crow as backup and gradually bring one of the others along as the season progresses.

The freshman will play alot off the ball and get it isolations where they can take their man off the dribble. They all do it very well.
You are lumping all freshman into a generalization bucket and assuming they all arrive at the same performance level. Without having seen anybody in practice we don't know what any of these new guys are capable of. You know, sometimes coaches adjust their sets to best suit a player's skill level.

Jameer Nelson was St. Joe's starting point guard from day one. Same with J.J. Barea. When Domonic Jones arrived here he pretty quickly was the guy finishing games ahead of senior Lamar Taylor. You make it seem like its impossible for a freshman to handle point guard duties when it happens all the time. Who ran the point in 2008 when Maynor needed a blow? Freshman JRod.

We need the backup point guard to do more than just advance the ball past half court and pass it to somebody else on the perimeter. Look, freshman point guards make me nervous too, but I'm open to the possibility of someone being able to come in and handle the role. And more importantly, I would love to return Crow to the role he was brought here for, hitting perimeter shots.

Last edited:
Amazing how some of us seem to know how well newcomers are performing and whether Mike feels they can handle tough situations or not. Point is, you don't. Crowfield is a two guard, and If Coach can get good minutes from a freshman at the point, I can see that happening. Time will tell.

vcubob

Insider
I'm hoping/Expecting Bones to get more minutes than Crow at the point by Dec 1. I'm looking forward to seeing Crow come in with game-changing impact. Late last year I saw a more aggressive shooter, someone who knew he was going to shoot before he rubbed off the screen rather than a tentative "hope" he was going to be open after he caught the ball.

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Elite Member
wow great question back up point guard. Glad I got the greatest message board to answer my questions!
?