Players Alphonzo Billups is a VCU Ram!

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Not sure what Holmes has to do with Billups. Perhaps move this to Off Topic thread per the mods rules.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
A lot of elite players choose to transfer to basketball prep programs. Billups chose not to go that route in his senior year. How do other feel on this. Would such a transfer his senior year benefit him once going into college or does Varina, its coaches and players, and billups himself match up well enough that there wouldn't have been an upside if he transferred? When I say, "upside", I am talking about his skill level, not choosing a different college program of course.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
A lot of elite players choose to transfer to basketball prep programs. Billups chose not to go that route in his senior year. How do other feel on this. Would such a transfer his senior year benefit him once going into college or does Varina, its coaches and players, and billups himself match up well enough that there wouldn't have been an upside if he transferred? When I say, "upside", I am talking about his skill level, not choosing a different college program of course.
I have to admit I find it a little puzzling when a kid plays for his local public school and various AAU teams, becomes a hot prospect and then feels they have to transfer to become a hot prospect. The list is long of players who were nurtured by local schools to become among the top players in the country and then transferred to better themselves. I'm not buying it. The local school certainly was good enough to get them there. Why not stay?

RamDanFan

Elite Member
I have to admit I find it a little puzzling when a kid plays for his local public school and various AAU teams, becomes a hot prospect and then feels they have to transfer to become a hot prospect. The list is long of players who were nurtured by local schools to become among the top players in the country and then transferred to better themselves. I'm not buying it. The local school certainly was good enough to get them there. Why not stay?

Maybe it helps if the student athlete knows he is moving away from home after HS, maybe not. But if the student athlete is staying near home and playing local like this, he may get an even better prep by being close to his chosen school. Example given, playing pick up with current roster members.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Maybe it helps if the student athlete knows he is moving away from home after HS, maybe not. But if the student athlete is staying near home and playing local like this, he may get an even better prep by being close to his chosen school. Example given, playing pick up with current roster members.
I'm not saying he should or shouldn't stay home. Nonetheless, he did not know until last week....near the end of August that his choice was VCU. So he didn't know whether he was moving or staying home for his college career (Unless he made the decision for VCU back at the end of the school year in May).
Regardless, I was just wondering if going prep would enhance his skill set over what Varina has to offer.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
I'm not saying he should or shouldn't stay home. Nonetheless, he did not know until last week....near the end of August that his choice was VCU. So he didn't know whether he was moving or staying home for his college career (Unless he made the decision for VCU back at the end of the school year in May).
Regardless, I was just wondering if going prep would enhance his skill set over what Varina has to offer.

I think there can be a case for either. In this situation, it must have been clear to him that the value gained by finishing out at Varina while being close to where he intends to matriculate outweighed the value he would get from one of those basketball factory types for his Senior year. This bodes well for us going forward with local talent.

Ululating Daddy

Elite Member
I think there can be a case for either. In this situation, it must have been clear to him that the value gained by finishing out at Varina while being close to where he intends to matriculate outweighed the value he would get from one of those basketball factory types for his Senior year. This bodes well for us going forward with local talent.
Do NCAA rules allow MR to give Billups a key to the BDC? Not for any coaching, I would expect, but to be able to play a little pick-up ball? 👀

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider

rammad90

Elite Member
If playing against better and different competition and focusing on Bball for a year makes you better, then yes it does. However, how does one make a valuation on finishing up their senior year of High School with their friends and family?

I think Nunn went the prep route and enjoyed it. However, his decision seems to have been colored by the fact that he wouldnt have had much of a senior year at his home school.

I also do not think it is as much about being a hotter prospect than it is just preparing for the challenges ahead. Like most things, it works for some and not for others.

Not a big deal. We will have him on campus soon enough and then the work will begin.