Players Alphonzo Billups is a VCU Ram!

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
He's definitely not 6' 6" and I highly doubt he's even 6' 7".

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
I was talking to Kendrick about Billups at an elite 8 party. He says Billups is a player BUT he is passive and does not look to impose his will. That will be something that our coaches will need to instill in him.

SteveMM

Elite Member
I was talking to Kendrick about Billups at an elite 8 party. He says Billups is a player BUT he is passive and does not look to impose his will. That will be something that our coaches will need to instill in him.
I don't love to hear that.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
I could see that, at times. At other times he was more aggressive. He backed down opponents, crossed some up and drove, shot 3s in their faces. I do think his aggressiveness should be his main area of improvement, but I love how he played in the state playoffs. I think home games with a ton of his East End fans in the stands will help him a lot.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Oof, yeah, that's definitely something they'll have to work on.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

Hopefully it can be. It's not really something you teach.

VCUBusiness

Elite Member
It could be that he doesn't impose his will because he's more focused on the team, not necessarily because he's "hesitant". If he shows flashes of doing it, perhaps because he senses that's what the team needed at that time, other times he doesn't. That was a trait I noticed in Vince this year. Early on he tried to force it and be "the man", but that wasn't him. He let his play flow through the team as it needed and still came up big all the time.

rammad90

Elite Member
Might not be bad he may just be Brad Burgess. I totally love Brad and his game. However, if Brad was an aggressive type A guy (see Treveon Graham) he'd have been a 1st round NBA guy.

Last edited:

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
It could be that he doesn't impose his will because he's more focused on the team, not necessarily because he's "hesitant". If he shows flashes of doing it, perhaps because he senses that's what the team needed at that time, other times he doesn't. That was a trait I noticed in Vince this year. Early on he tried to force it and be "the man", but that wasn't him. He let his play flow through the team as it needed and still came up big all the time.
I mentioned that from what I have seen he drew defenders and looked for teammates. Kendrick agreed with that.

rammad90

Elite Member
It could be but unlikely at the HS level especially how talented this guy is as a player. I know and trust Kendrick's assessment. Kendrick is a former player at th highest level, now a HC. Its a safe bet he knows of which he speaks.

Now as to Vince, I dont think he was forcing it. I think he was merely finding his role on a team that had lost is field general. Vince's issues weren't forcing but rather having to wear to many hats on a team of guys who really hadn't played much or had much success playing together.

Vince's game changed when Ace came back, it notched up another level when Curry hit his stride.

At the end of the day, being hesitant might not be a bad thing from a freshmen early on. Unless he is a shy kid his confidence should grow as will his game.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
He already knows he's the baddest man in Varina; we need him to know he's the baddest man in Virginia. Luckily, we have an inside line to a former holder of that title.

JDI

Insider
My same take away after watching him in the state championship game.

RESRam

Insider
Hopefully it can be. It's not really something you teach.
I do recall Shaka telling us the story about having to get Mo AC to stand in front of a mirror and saying to himself that “you’re the baddest mf’r on the court”. That seemed to work, particularly when you see him now running over a safety😄

Last edited:

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Might not be bad he may just be Brad Burgess. I totally love Brad and his game. However, if Brad was an aggressive type A guy (see Treveon Graham) he'd have been a 1st round NBA guy.

Brad imposed his will in games all the time from his freshman year on up.