Players Alphonzo Billups is a VCU Ram!

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
I’m not sure there’s a major difference in our system.
And at times (sadly) not much difference in a SG and a PF in our system, but I hope that perhaps have more talent on the block will resolve that. I think we will see Billups at the 3 (SF) and if he bulks up any he could be used as Tre was as a stretch 4 in a couple year. I think the issue with guys like that playing the 2 (SG) is the matchups on defense.
Agree with you, sometime in our system we have a a PG and w wings on the floor at the same time.

Mistachill

Elite Member
247 put out their final rankings. They have Fermin in the same spot at 137 while Billups jumped 25 spots up to 119.
I wonder who has them ranked so high that they both cracked the top 100 in their composite ranking.

Last edited:

zackry93

Elite Member
Insider
I wonder who has them ranked so high that they both cracked the top 100 in their composite ranking.
Weirdly no one does I think outside of the composite the highest either of them is ranked is Billups at 94 on ESPN. And normally I would think it meant that their composite wasn't updated but Billups actually went up 5 spots and his composite rating was updated today. I guess everywhere ranks them around 100-130 is good enough over some players who are higher on one but not the other. But also it is just the way the rankings work. On ESPN where Billups is 94th and Fermin is just outside the top 100 they both got a grade of 82 which is the same as the 75th player in the class which is what goes into the calculation.

rampart

Elite Member
Weirdly no one does I think outside of the composite the highest either of them is ranked is Billups at 94 on ESPN. And normally I would think it meant that their composite wasn't updated but Billups actually went up 5 spots and his composite rating was updated today. I guess everywhere ranks them around 100-130 is good enough over some players who are higher on one but not the other. But also it is just the way the rankings work. On ESPN where Billups is 94th and Fermin is just outside the top 100 they both got a grade of 82 which is the same as the 75th player in the class which is what goes into the calculation.
Probably just paranoia, but I've always wondered if who's recruiting them figures into how their rated. Where there's subjectivity there's often bias.

zackry93

Elite Member
Insider
Probably just paranoia, but I've always wondered if who's recruiting them figures into how their rated. Where there's subjectivity there's often bias.
Yeah look up Blake Carringer. It is football but he was a fake recruit that made up a twitter and acted like he got offers from a bunch of schools. Rivals ended up ranking him a 3* without ever seeing him. And then I know for 247 if you have one of the schools with a huge board over there after you it will get you more attention. Not always for malicious reasons but mods on their boards can send requests to the top guys for players to be regraded or their composite updated. And it makes sense to pay attention to what the good teams are doing. If a bunch of teams that are constantly good are going after a player then it makes sense to give them some benefit of the doubt and use those coaches as another set of scouts.

Mistachill

Elite Member
Yeah look up Blake Carringer. It is football but he was a fake recruit that made up a twitter and acted like he got offers from a bunch of schools. Rivals ended up ranking him a 3* without ever seeing him. And then I know for 247 if you have one of the schools with a huge board over there after you it will get you more attention. Not always for malicious reasons but mods on their boards can send requests to the top guys for players to be regraded or their composite updated. And it makes sense to pay attention to what the good teams are doing. If a bunch of teams that are constantly good are going after a player then it makes sense to give them some benefit of the doubt and use those coaches as another set of scouts.
Wow, that is interesting!

BradRamFan

Elite Member
LOL...this is fantastic! I think a lot of the "recruiting" sites/gurus know very little about recruits unless they are in the top 50 or so and/or are playing for some top prep school. They are similar to sports media channels and sports media personalities who profess to be experts but outside of the top 25 teams in the nation....and of that, only the P5 programs in the top 25, they know very little about the players or teams from the other 325 D1 teams in the country.
I remember when VCU would get a commitment from top recruits and their rankings would actually fall as a result....now it's a bit of the opposite. And I am sure that if word gets out about a P5 program coming in to watch a specific kid at a game, the kids rankings improve or the kid gets on the recruiting sites "radar" as a rankings riser.
Just look at all the 4 and 5 star players in the portal....a lot of them are even redshirted their first year (granted they are at top programs). Also, I think rankings for "bigs" is almost a crapshoot. A lot of the bigs seemed to get ranked solely on size/height and not much else. You can see this especially from bigs coming out of African nations. There is a plethora of them in the portal where their college playing stats come nowhere close to their HS star rankings. From just an academic perspective, I know there are many educational companies that have been set up with the specific intent of getting foreign students into US schools. The two major regions are from China and Africa. It's great for young foreign kids who want/willing to start a new life in America. I think a lot of the African player "bigs" get their shot based mostly height and "potential", get into a US basketball academy, play for a year or two and then are college ranked based on height and potential. Although not from Africa, it could be the same for Tobi.....6'8" with hops.....height and potential. But it does appear that Tobi has had a longer active sports background, but in soccer.

t23e3

Elite Member
I believe the reason is because the composite is an aggregate of every recruiting site's ranking, therefore even though Fermin isn't top 100 on either ESPN or 247 in-house, he is top 100 for the total composite score of all rankings together. Fermin is a 4* 82 on ESPN, a 4* #113 on Rivals, and an 89 on 247 in-house so he's top 100 in the composite even though he doesn't break the top 100 for each site individually. So some of the people ahead of him on, say, Rivals rankings, are probably rated lower on the other services.