Players Alphonzo Billups is a VCU Ram!

Ram20ROB

Elite Member
Because not all parents can just be out of work for 2-3 hours in the middle of a weekday. I’m sure that quite a few are having to miss their child’s graduation. I had to go in to work on a vacation day to get a colleague out for a few hours so he wouldn’t miss his son’s graduation. If I hadn’t been available, then he would have been SOL. What happened to evening graduations at your school’s football field or gym?

The weather. Grandparents were falling out in 100 degree weather. And rain ruined a number of graduations so they eventually moved to the Amphitheater at the Farigrounds / Raceway. But the final straw there was when three severe thunderstorms ruined graduations in a single week and people were in danger. Trani offered the Siegel Center and the localities jumped on it. All day graduation ceremonies was the tradeoff for safety and certainty. I expect that will change when Henrico develops the complex at Virginia Center and only having 8 graduations will allow them to go back to one per evening over the course of a week (plus one day). Chesterrfield is also exploring its options. So the pendulum will swing back when facilities allow it to, but that's why we're where we are now.

rammad90

Elite Member
I feel like they could do better camera work and production for some of the social media video they’re putting out. That Shriver video earlier was poorly done IMO.
I agree it didnt show us much.

SteveMM

Elite Member
Our son graduates high school tomorrow, and thankfully Hanover has shifted to using the Meadow Event Park Farm Bureau Center. Less traffic, far fewer parking issues, and overall a more pleasant experience. Siegel Center graduations are a nightmare.

Mistachill

Elite Member
The weather. Grandparents were falling out in 100 degree weather. And rain ruined a number of graduations so they eventually moved to the Amphitheater at the Farigrounds / Raceway. But the final straw there was when three severe thunderstorms ruined graduations in a single week and people were in danger. Trani offered the Siegel Center and the localities jumped on it. All day graduation ceremonies was the tradeoff for safety and certainty. I expect that will change when Henrico develops the complex at Virginia Center and only having 8 graduations will allow them to go back to one per evening over the course of a week (plus one day). Chesterrfield is also exploring its options. So the pendulum will swing back when facilities allow it to, but that's why we're where we are now.
Yeah, I always thought outdoor graduations and weddings were too risky for my liking.

PhantomRam

Elite Member
I graduated from Lee-Davis (sorry, still LD to me).... But anyway in 1978. Graduation was on the football field and a cold front came through that morning. By graduation time (7pm) the temps were in the 50-60's with a 25mph wind. Everybody's mortar boards were blowing off. You know what, we were 17-18 yo's and we really did not give a crap about the conditions. Would not trade the memories of that night for anything, including the conditions. We were tough back then, I tell ya.......... Also LD was not air conditioned either. I tell ya, the snowflakes today....:lol:

VCU74

Elite Member
Yeah… my grad was at west Springfield on the football field ( go Big Lew)!
Was ok to not have to bust in and bust out

RamLover

Elite Member
Because not all parents can just be out of work for 2-3 hours in the middle of a weekday. I’m sure that quite a few are having to miss their child’s graduation. I had to go in to work on a vacation day to get a colleague out for a few hours so he wouldn’t miss his son’s graduation. If I hadn’t been available, then he would have been SOL. What happened to evening graduations at your school’s football field or gym?

Most high school gyms and football fields are way, way too small to accommodate the size of these graduating classes and all the families/friends that want to come.

I’m a high school teacher and love being on the floor of Siegel for graduation. Probably because I’m an alum, but it’s super cool so many local kids graduate under our final four banner.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Most high school gyms and football fields are way, way too small to accommodate the size of these graduating classes and all the families/friends that want to come.

I’m a high school teacher and love being on the floor of Siegel for graduation. Probably because I’m an alum, but it’s super cool so many local kids graduate under our final four banner.
My neighbor's son graduated yesterday. I loved to see his father in the photos with VCU logos everywhere due to the fact that he is a UR grad that gives me grief when they beat VCU. Luckily it is not often. Ha!

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
My neighbor's son graduated yesterday. I loved to see his father in the photos with VCU logos everywhere due to the fact that he is a UR grad that gives me grief when they beat VCU. Luckily it is not often. Ha!
Ask him if he is excited about the Mooney extension as we are.