An Open Letter to Marcus Evans

ViCtorioUs

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Dear Marcus,

I think I can speak for much of Ramnation when I say to you that you have nothing to prove to us.We have seen your character in rehabbing two very serious Achilles injuries. Your tenacity on and off the court is something we have witnessed since your arrival here. Your explosive drives, your soft floater, your passing, your court awareness, your outside shooting and a host of other skills we have all come to admire. Your desire to win, your tenacious defense, ad infinitum, are things at which we marvel and admire. We recognize that you are the heart and soul of this team.

With that said we are a bit fearful for you and our team. Flying through the air at strange angles, hitting the floor hard on offense and defense, the punishment your body takes. These are things with which we are concerned. When you go down we all wince. When you are slow to get up we are rubbing our temples. I was in attendance at the Barclay Center last spring when Jeff Dowtin rode you like a pony. The collective gasp and the following silence spoke volumes. And when you hobbled off the floor with your weight on two trainers the dismay from your fans was palpable.

This is a deep and talented team this season, but so goes Marcus Evans, so goes this team. Would it be too much to ask if you would run the team on the floor, distribute the ball and take the open shot? Would that alter your game to the extent that you couldn’t play like Marcus Evans? We hope to one day see your jersey hanging from the rafters. We need you. We want you to realize all your expectations. We want to see you play deep into the NCAA tourney with national audiences in awe of your skill and wherewithal. We expect to see you awarded with the accolades you deserve. So we entreat you, take care of yourself on the court, don’t take unnecessary risks. Be yourself, but don’t be reckless.

A fan

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
[QUOTE="ViCtorioUs, post: Would it be too much to ask if you would run the team on the floor, distribute the ball and take the open shot? Would that alter your game to the extent that you couldn’t play like Marcus Evans?
[/QUOTE]

I see him already doing this. In his first 3 possessions of the season, he threw alley oops passes off of lane penetration. He's throwing leap passes on fast breaks plays for easy lane ins.

As usual he's the one shouting instructions to keep the defense in position. On offense, he getting post of his 3 pt attempts off kick out and shooting a career high 43.9% from the 3 and 47.1% overall.

Not to.mention, he's coaching up bones and gets no credit for it on this forum.

The only area is turnovers, he's gotten his pocket picked in transition driving thru multiple defenders at mid court.

A couple.times he thrown the ball
to an non existent 3 pt.shooter and gotten pissed
At the out of position recipient.

Personally I'd like him to be more aggressive getti the basket. He's only average 4 free throw attempts per game, he usually averages 8.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Personally I'd like him to be more aggressive getti the basket. He's only average 4 free throw attempts per game, he usually averages 8.
Well, his minutes are down about 10% from last year and the substitution pattern has been such that he has been on the court less while opponents are in the bonus. His fouls drawn rate vs. LSU was over 9, which is LBJ-esque. UNT slowed the game to a crawl pace wise (total of 62), so that is a bit of an outlier too, fewer possessions to draw fouls.

As the season progresses, i suspect it will look more like LSU than UNT.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Dear Marcus,

I think I can speak for much of Ramnation when I say to you that you have nothing to prove to us.We have seen your character in rehabbing two very serious Achilles injuries. Your tenacity on and off the court is something we have witnessed since your arrival here. Your explosive drives, your soft floater, your passing, your court awareness, your outside shooting and a host of other skills we have all come to admire. Your desire to win, your tenacious defense, ad infinitum, are things at which we marvel and admire. We recognize that you are the heart and soul of this team.

With that said we are a bit fearful for you and our team. Flying through the air at strange angles, hitting the floor hard on offense and defense, the punishment your body takes. These are things with which we are concerned. When you go down we all wince. When you are slow to get up we are rubbing our temples. I was in attendance at the Barclay Center last spring when Jeff Dowtin rode you like a pony. The collective gasp and the following silence spoke volumes. And when you hobbled off the floor with your weight on two trainers the dismay from your fans was palpable.

This is a deep and talented team this season, but so goes Marcus Evans, so goes this team. Would it be too much to ask if you would run the team on the floor, distribute the ball and take the open shot? Would that alter your game to the extent that you couldn’t play like Marcus Evans? We hope to one day see your jersey hanging from the rafters. We need you. We want you to realize all your expectations. We want to see you play deep into the NCAA tourney with national audiences in awe of your skill and wherewithal. We expect to see you awarded with the accolades you deserve. So we entreat you, take care of yourself on the court, don’t take unnecessary risks. Be yourself, but don’t be reckless.

A fan

Feb 1, 2016
Well, his minutes are down about 10% from last year and the substitution pattern has been such that he has been on the court less while opponents are in the bonus.
The reasons for this probably have little to do with Marcus himself, and more to do with having a young and extremely promising freshman behind him who needs to get minutes during games against cupcakes. My assumption is that his minutes will go up in tougher games.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
The reasons for this probably have little to do with Marcus himself, and more to do with having a young and extremely promising freshman behind him who needs to get minutes during games against cupcakes. My assumption is that his minutes will go up in tougher games.
And he better take care of himself or Vic will have to pen another open letter.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I think Marcus knows more about his game than anyone here and should keep doing the things that he knows he can do. He’s a scorer more than anything else and I don’t see him playing any less aggressively going forward. In fact, I hope we can find a way for him to play the 2 for 6-8 minutes a game with Bones at the 1 so he can be ever more aggressive.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Marcus is going to win far more games for VCU this year than lose games. Let him be Marcus and play the way he knows best. If Coach Rhoades has a problem with his aggressiveness, which I doubt he does, then let him address it. We don't need a poster sending him an open letter via the message boards regarding how he should play the game. :roll: :roll::roll:

VCU74

Top Member
May 29, 2017
Not to.mention, he's coaching up bones and gets no credit for it on this forum.
what? To lazy and on my phone but iirc there’s been many posts mentioning him doing that. I’d swear there was a game pic or tweet where ME was coaching Bones with MR standing there enjoying it. pretty sure it had a like or two;)
F87A0F20-2E2F-4ACC-BE65-D729AC3680B7.jpeg

May 3, 2012
My wife and I took a more direct approach to the concerns you expressed. We said many of the same things, including a mention about Bones, to his mom. Pretty sure, she's going to assure/reassure him that we all are behind him 110% and want him to be healthy this year.
His folks, by the way, are a real treasure. They are as down to earth as they come. They look young. I mean in their forties young...hard to believe since Marcus is the youngest of three.

SpiderRAM

Top Member
Insider
Aug 17, 2014
My wife and I took a more direct approach to the concerns you expressed. We said many of the same things, including a mention about Bones, to his mom. Pretty sure, she's going to assure/reassure him that we all are behind him 110% and want him to be healthy this year.
His folks, by the way, are a real treasure. They are as down to earth as they come. They look young. I mean in their forties young...hard to believe since Marcus is the youngest of three.
His Dad’s Twitter posts are very much in line with the care, concern, & support that Mr Burgess had for his sons and the entire team.

Cossack

Top Member
Aug 2, 2014
Dear Marcus,

A fan
Well said with respect and a big heart from a serious man. I agree with you.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Marcus is going to win far more games for VCU this year than lose games. Let him be Marcus and play the way he knows best. If Coach Rhoades has a problem with his aggressiveness, which I doubt he does, then let him address it. We don't need a poster sending him an open letter via the message boards regarding how he should play the game. :roll: :roll::roll:
It's the ole video game mentality where people think you can take the controller and adjust a players performance level up or down on demand. Would anyone tell Russell Westbrook to dial it down? Can you imagine Evans seeing a open lane to the hoop and he starts thinking "naw, maybe I should just jack up a three to keep from getting hurt." You can't play like that.