An Open Letter to Marcus Evans

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Marcus is going to win far more games for VCU this year than lose games. Let him be Marcus and play the way he knows best. If Coach Rhoades has a problem with his aggressiveness, which I doubt he does, then let him address it. We don't need a poster sending him an open letter via the message boards regarding how he should play the game. :roll: :roll::roll:
The poster is a fan, and I assume the he/she/they sent the letter from a place of love and concern. I agree that it is an issue that Marcus, his family, and Coach Rhodes in that order have addressed and has under control. However, the letter was sent from a place of love/concern.

We shouldn't scold a poster nor tell them what they need to stop or start doing. Let it be.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
The poster is a fan, and I assume the he/she/they sent the letter from a place of love and concern. I agree that it is an issue that Marcus, his family, and Coach Rhodes in that order have addressed and has under control. However, the letter was sent from a place of love/concern.

We shouldn't scold a poster nor tell them what they need to stop or start doing. Let it be.
How long have you been on these boards rammad90? You do not know whether Vic is a he or she?

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
what? To lazy and on my phone but iirc there’s been many posts mentioning him doing that. I’d swear there was a game pic or tweet where ME was coaching Bones with MR standing there enjoying it. pretty sure it had a like or two;)
I don't remember which game it was.... North Texas maybe? But I remember this clear as day as I was right in front of it when it happened... because at first ME was over there getting some work done with the trainer & what not... next thing I know... he got up & went over & talked to bones for a minute before going back.

Reactions: VCU74

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I don't remember which game it was.... North Texas maybe? But I remember this clear as day as I was right in front of it when it happened... because at first ME was over there getting some work done with the trainer & what not... next thing I know... he got up & went over & talked to bones for a minute before going back.
It was the VSU game I believe, and I was loving it. Reminded me of seeing Briante on the end of the bench after his injury, coaching his teammates up.

Feb 3, 2011
I can see a little of both sides here. I cringe every time he hits the ground hard or falls in a weird angle but that is who he is and how he plays. We can't have the guy change the way he attacks and how much he puts into it. However I do think when we are up 20 some points there is no need to dive after a ball or take a charge/draw a hard foul. I like the passion and giving it your all 100% of the time but having him all season or losing him because he forced turnover number 26 when up 20 I am okay with missing out on.

Reactions: RAM7889 and SWV

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
I can see a little of both sides here. I cringe every time he hits the ground hard or falls in a weird angle but that is who he is and how he plays. We can't have the guy change the way he attacks and how much he puts into it. However I do think when we are up 20 some points there is no need to dive after a ball or take a charge/draw a hard foul. I like the passion and giving it your all 100% of the time but having him all season or losing him because he forced turnover number 26 when up 20 I am okay with missing out on.
Wonder if he could adapt to playing while wrapped in bubble wrap???? That's what I would prefer!

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Or...when we're up big like that and the game is out of reach MR doesn't even need to have him out there. I can't verify this, but I kinda feel MR keeps his important guys in the game during garbage time a little more than other coaches here. I kinda remember once Melvin Johnson getting hurt playing during garbage time either during or before the A-10 tournament. Definitely don't want to see that happen again.

Last edited:

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Or...when we're up big like that and the game is out of reach MR doesn't even have him out there. I can't verify this, but I kinda feel MR keeps his important guys in the game during garbage time a little more than other coaches here. I kinda remember once Melvin Johnson getting hurt playing during garbage time either during or before the A-10 tournament. Definitely don't want to see that happen again.
With the talent on the bench, he doesn't need to run the starting five all game long now it seems. He can almost platoon the squads.

Last edited:

Major Ram 2.0

Top Member
Aug 13, 2018
Some players wear “hip pads” and the arm sleeves help with floor burns. Then the BDC has the ice bath to recover after a tough game. I cringe as well whenever a player goes after the ball but it’s part of the game. This team has an edge that earlier teams lacked. MR has a speed and determination he wants to see. I am with coach