Are we Ready for a Run?

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I am a bit superstitious, so I hesitate to post this, but looking at the schedule, I think our team is ready for a big start in the A10. The win at GMU was solid and sets the stage. I think WW has our guys starting to gel. Hope I am right. Thoughts?

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
I am a bit superstitious, so I hesitate to post this, but looking at the schedule, I think our team is ready for a big start in the A10. The win at GMU was solid and sets the stage. I think WW has our guys starting to gel. Hope I am right. Thoughts?
I think we are getting there and could very likely win our next 8 unless we slip at with Dayton at home but don't think so. Next toughest game is at the Bonnies.

Reactions: rammed

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Honestly... I'll wait to see how we play in our upcoming games against UMass, GW & @ Davidson.

GMU is certainly better than they have been in years.... but their 10-3 record was against a bunch of nobodies for the most part... granted GMU is a tough road game, always has been, even when they sucked..... so I didn't take too much stock in that game the other night good or bad..... just glad we got that W, and I'm not too worried about Duquesne honestly. But that 3 game stretch after (vs UMass, GW & @ Davidson) could be a good tell on how we will do in the A10 this year,

Reactions: vcu70

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
I think we are getting there and could very likely win our next 8 unless we slip at with Dayton at home but don't think so. Next toughest game is at the Bonnies.
If we play hard like at goomoo for 40 minutes and cut the TO's by half, we should win a lot of games and be a tough out for anyone. A long streak is possible if we get 10 more shots than our opponents rather than throw it in the stands.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Cut the turnovers in half, then lets talk about runs....
I'm not quite as concerned about the turnovers after reading Mike Litos' article. I'd like to see them come down by a few like everyone else, but the situation isn't as bad as it looks.

I think George Mason is definitely much better than before despite their soft OOC schedule. They have a tough stretch coming up - home vs UMass, at St. Bonaventure, and at St. Joseph's. If they win at least two of those I think they could be a quiet contender for that fourth A-10 tournament bye.

As for us, I think we stand a pretty good chance of winning our next three games. I don't want to say we're necessarily going to go on a long run, though. I think @ Davidson will still be a tough game, and they're going to be hungry after coming up just short to ur the other day. We also have Dayton at home on the 27th - last time Dayton came to our house, we lost. I got engaged, but we lost.

7-0 in January is possible but it'll be very tough. I will be happy with 6-1 (assuming the 1 is to Dayton and not a cupcake).

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Honestly... I'll wait to see how we play in our upcoming games against UMass, GW & @ Davidson.

GMU is certainly better than they have been in years.... but their 10-3 record was against a bunch of nobodies for the most part... granted GMU is a tough road game, always has been, even when they sucked..... so I didn't take too much stock in that game the other night good or bad..... just glad we got that W, and I'm not too worried about Duquesne honestly. But that 3 game stretch after (vs UMass, GW & @ Davidson) could be a good tell on how we will do in the A10 this year,
Wow, you are just going to skip right over a road game? Never a good idea

Newgate Prison

Top Member
Aug 1, 2012
Well...if...only when....we'll need to...so....could....should...however...luck...bad luck...injuries...diarrhea...flu...and...sure

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Here's what the computers think...

Running.png

So clearly some things stack up decently for us.

1 - Duquesne - these are those ones you just can't be losing. That would equal a bad loss, even if it's on the road (like Mason & UMass last year)
2 - UMass - The lost at home to Bona but to be fair, Bona couldn't miss. UMass is a tricky team this season but what I like about our chances against them in this particular matchup is that it's in our house AND they've really struggled on offense this year.
3 - GW has actually been better than I thought they'd be but getting the game in our place and not having to play against Garino, Larsen and McDonald, I like us better against them this year than last season.
4 - Davidson - Tricky matchup. Davidson looks improved defensively but definitely didn't show it against Richmond. They also allowed 80+ points to Clemson, UNC and Kansas, as well as 76 to College of Charleston, which in short means more often than not they have struggled against good offenses. Will be a really tough game.
5 - Fordham - They just lost at home to Duquesne. Just saying.
6 - La Salle - These guys are much more talented than last season's team, even if the record doesn't jump out at you. Dudes can really score it but struggled at Dayton to do so. That'll be a tough game but again, helps to have it at home.
7 - Dayton - Prob one of the top-2 teams in the A-10. Monster game right there. I hope we're both rolling heading into that one to give the A-10 an awesome marquee game.
8 - Richmond - Definitely a capable team but so far they look worse than last year's team we swept. Rivalry game though so those things are always crazy.

We'll be a solid favorite in pretty much all of our next eight, but this is conference play, so throw that out the window. Hope we handle our business.

Jan 1, 2010
Cut the turnovers in half, then lets talk about runs....
THIS
We Shot well and played tough.... But that many turnovers could have easily cost us --with just a few tiny changes of the game.

Consistantly Clean those up and this will certainly be a happy forum....:P

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Here's what the computers think...

View attachment 4338

So clearly some things stack up decently for us.

1 - Duquesne - these are those ones you just can't be losing. That would equal a bad loss, even if it's on the road (like Mason & UMass last year)
Dusquene has a 4 game winning streak coming into this game. No great opponents, however, their confidence is up. They will be playing at home at what will be their superbowl so we can't take them for granted.

upload_2017-1-1_19-17-7.png

Reactions: Havoc2Ut2