Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
It’s early, but based off what teams returned and how they’ve looked so far, I’m ready to declare contenders, pretenders and enigmas for this year’s Atlantic 10 title. Feels earlier to dive into that than previous seasons, but I feel ready, so let’s go.
CONTENDERS
Dayton
The Flyers have — according to NBA scouts — the best player in the Atlantic 10 in Obi Toppin, back for his sophomore season and what will likely be his last season before turning pro. Back surrounding Toppin is almost every key piece from last season’s 13-5 third place Atlantic 10 squad, as well as a number of key transfers including Chase Johnson (Florida), Ibi Watson (Michigan) and arguably their best so far, Chattanooga transfer, Rodney Chatman (13 ppg, 5.3 ast). Take one of the conference’s most talented teams, make it more talented and surround them by a 13,000-fan home court advantage and you can guarantee Dayton is one of the top contenders for this season’s Atlantic 10 title.
Davidson 
Bob...
Continue reading...

TAEKWONDO

Insider
May 22, 2019
Good evaluation of the A-10, and I agree with VCU, Dayton, Davidson, and Rhode Island to finish in the top four. The only switch I would make is putting George Mason as an Enigma, and putting St. Joseph as a pretender.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Unpopular take: I'd rather get all the best teams twice and elevate our seed by a couple lines even if it means sacrificing a regular season title.
Makes sense to me, the higher the seed the higher the likelihood of advancing in the tournament. No one gives you NCAA tournament revenue for winning a conference championship. I’ll take an at-large and a Sweet 16 everyday over an A-10 conference championship and a 1-and-out in the NCAAs. Everyday.

That said it’s not an either/or proposition. We could have a kick-ass league with awesome teams and still be the best of them, win the tourney and go to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. I vote for that option. 🤣

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I sense some recency bias as we have had to wait our turn patiently through the gluttony of holiday tournament madness—Dayton is a formidable squad but very much the same team we beat twice last year—albeit, a year more experienced with a few nice additional pieces- just like us.

An excellent Flyer squad is great for the league and good for us, but let’s not get confused about the order of the A10 universe: There is VCU and then there are those who want to be VCU—let’s leave the others to chase our tail while we set the standard.

I have a real good feeling about this team, tonite we will remind the others just whose world this is!!!

Go Rams, beat the Boilermakers!

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I sense some recency bias as we have had to wait our turn patiently through the gluttony of holiday tournament madness—Dayton is a formidable squad but very much the same team we beat twice last year—albeit, a year more experienced with a few nice additional pieces- just like us.

An excellent Flyer squad is great for the league and good for us, but let’s not get confused about the order of the A10 universe: There is VCU and then there are those who want to be VCU—let’s leave the others to chase our tail while we set the standard.

I have a real good feeling about this team, tonite we will remind the others just whose world this is!!!

Go Rams, beat the Boilermakers!
I agree 100%, and let's not forget. Dayton had a very nice run in Hawaii, but they still haven't beaten a ranked team. The stars aligned for Dayton when VA Tech upset Michigan State. And VA Tech then showed it's true colors the next night against Dayton. Yes, Dayton played well against Kansas, but VA Tech and Georgia were P5 wins, but not marquee wins.

It's time now for VCU to prove that they are legitimate. If they go 1-1 in this tournament, that loss has to be to Tennessee. Personally, I'm only going to be happy if VCU goes 2-0 and sends a statement to the rest of college basketball that VCU is ranked and here to stay.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Personally, I'm only going to be happy if VCU goes 2-0 and sends a statement to the rest of college basketball that VCU is ranked and here to stay.
Amen brother!!! This is the BEST opportunity we've had in 10 years. Experienced team which runs good offensive sets, great pressing AND half court defense with 100% healthy marcus Evans going up against really good P5 teams.

If We come out of the tournament with 2 wins against 2 ranked teams then we are in the top 15 just outside the top 10.

Bragging rights to use on the recruiting trail. Continued national exposure. Etc.

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram