Attainable future non-conference home/home series

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Lots of talk by announcers during recent games about how most "power schools" won't come to VCU to play. Okay, fair enough. But there are really strong number of consistent NCAA programs outside the "Power 6" that would benefit both sides. Here are a handful:

Straight Home/Home
Cincinnati

Had a H/H with VCU in 2014/2015
Houston
NCAA tournament three straight years. Sweet 16 bid last year
Memphis
Penny has one of the most talented rosters in the country. Should be top 25 going forward
St. Mary's
Getting them to come cross country would be a big challenge since they are a tiny school with a limited budget. Maybe we could sweeten the pot by offering to cover some travel?
San Diego St
Consistent NCAA program that has fallen off of late but looks to be rising again
SMU
Fell off a little the past couple years under Jankovich but look to be rising that the program has more stability again
Wichita St
Current H/H. No brainer. Make it a continuous series
Virginia
Bennett has shown a willingness to play us in the past. Let's bug him for another H/H!
Virginia Tech
Buzz Williams/Greenberg were known a**holes and felt like they were too good for VCU. But the reality is that VT has serious trouble getting good teams to play in Blacksburg due to it being a logistical nightmare to get to SW VA. They've had really bad OOC SOS over the last decade and it's hurt them a lot. They would have been another seed or two higher last year with a better non-con schedule. This would clearly benefit both schools. Have the feeling Mike Young may be open, unless the AD says no.
UConn
Hurley knows VCU well and understands that they can help their non-con SOS
Temple
Big unknown with Dunphy leaving, but I think it's a bball focused school with a lot of upside
UCF
as long as Dawkins is the head coach, I think they'll be a pretty good program

2/1 (two at other program, one at VCU)
Gonzaga

This is the only program that I think might be willing and we would be willing to do a 2/1 with.
I'd also take a 2/1 with schools like K St (one game at KSU, one game at Sprint Center in KC, one game at the Stu) or Tennessee (Knoxville, Nashville, Stu).

2/1 (two at VCU, one at other program)
Belmont

Proven consistent top 75 program that would provide Q1/2 chances
Murray St
Seems like the majority of season they are hovering around that top 75 mark
Western Kentucky
Lots of talent comes to play for $tansbury. Worth it to do a 2/1 with them as long he's there, I think.
Loyola-Chicago
They are trying to be the VCU of the Midwest and heavily investing in their hoops program).

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2012
I’d like to know about the home/home arrangements that Richmond got with Vandy and Boston College this year. I would think that if they can get a couple mid to lower tier P5 schools then we should be able to do the same. Other than UVA, when was the last time we were able to get a P5 conference team to come to the Stu without being contractually obligates to because they took our coach?

I’d definitely like to see some more recognizable OOC names coming to the Stu, even if it’s nit really an improvement in the quality of our competition. It might also help us get s few more of our games on a better network than MASN.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I’d like to know about the home/home arrangements that Richmond got with Vandy and Boston College this year. I would think that if they can get a couple mid to lower tier P5 schools then we should be able to do the same. Other than UVA, when was the last time we were able to get a P5 conference team to come to the Stu without being contractually obligates to because they took our coach?

I’d definitely like to see some more recognizable OOC names coming to the Stu, even if it’s nit really an improvement in the quality of our competition. It might also help us get s few more of our games on a better network than MASN.
Probably GT a few years ago. Richmond seems to be able to get home and homes with Vandy, Wake, BC, etc. Maybe they have some connections on the staff, or schools aren't as concerned about playing them.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Lots of talk by announcers during recent games about how most "power schools" won't come to VCU to play. Okay, fair enough. But there are really strong number of consistent NCAA programs outside the "Power 6" that would benefit both sides. Here are a handful:

Straight Home/Home
Cincinnati

Had a H/H with VCU in 2014/2015
Houston
NCAA tournament three straight years. Sweet 16 bid last year
Memphis
Penny has one of the most talented rosters in the country. Should be top 25 going forward
St. Mary's
Getting them to come cross country would be a big challenge since they are a tiny school with a limited budget. Maybe we could sweeten the pot by offering to cover some travel?
San Diego St
Consistent NCAA program that has fallen off of late but looks to be rising again
SMU
Fell off a little the past couple years under Jankovich but look to be rising that the program has more stability again
Wichita St
Current H/H. No brainer. Make it a continuous series
Virginia
Bennett has shown a willingness to play us in the past. Let's bug him for another H/H!
Virginia Tech
Buzz Williams/Greenberg were known a**holes and felt like they were too good for VCU. But the reality is that VT has serious trouble getting good teams to play in Blacksburg due to it being a logistical nightmare to get to SW VA. They've had really bad OOC SOS over the last decade and it's hurt them a lot. They would have been another seed or two higher last year with a better non-con schedule. This would clearly benefit both schools. Have the feeling Mike Young may be open, unless the AD says no.
UConn
Hurley knows VCU well and understands that they can help their non-con SOS
Temple
Big unknown with Dunphy leaving, but I think it's a bball focused school with a lot of upside
UCF
as long as Dawkins is the head coach, I think they'll be a pretty good program

2/1 (two at other program, one at VCU)
Gonzaga

This is the only program that I think might be willing and we would be willing to do a 2/1 with.
I'd also take a 2/1 with schools like K St (one game at KSU, one game at Sprint Center in KC, one game at the Stu) or Tennessee (Knoxville, Nashville, Stu).

2/1 (two at VCU, one at other program)
Belmont

Proven consistent top 75 program that would provide Q1/2 chances
Murray St
Seems like the majority of season they are hovering around that top 75 mark
Western Kentucky
Lots of talent comes to play for $tansbury. Worth it to do a 2/1 with them as long he's there, I think.
Loyola-Chicago
They are trying to be the VCU of the Midwest and heavily investing in their hoops program).
I would include georgetown. They used to home and home with odu.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Not listed, but Big East might be some good competition to schedule too.... Gonna be tough to get some of them to come to the STU, but even if we had to go there, I wouldn't mind seeing us play Nova, Butler (again), Marquette, even a team like Creighton who has been good in recent years.... among others.

Also I wish while Grant or Shaka were here.... and billy D was still at Florida that we could've tried to schedule those guys.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I don't know how much of this was Frank trying to ham it up for the media, but he did seem interested in playing VCU again in the future after the contractually obligated H/H is done. It might actually be an attainable series.

I could definitely see another UVA H/H series happening. There's definitely interest among both fanbases and Bennett seems open to the idea.

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Not listed, but Big East might be some good competition to schedule too.... Gonna be tough to get some of them to come to the STU, but even if we had to go there, I wouldn't mind seeing us play Nova, Butler (again), Marquette, even a team like Creighton who has been good in recent years.... among others.

Also I wish while Grant or Shaka were here.... and billy D was still at Florida that we could've tried to schedule those guys.
I have a hunch that Georgetown finds us threatening and has convinced most of the Big East not to touch us with a 10 foot pole. Scuttlebutt is that they have been the only school blackballing us from consideration. Part of it I think is what I stated above....that we have been a better program this decade. I also think there's some mutual m*sturbation between Richmond and Georgetown (remember when there was talk of them getting a BE invite)?

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
How about Home and Home's with Liberty and Radford?

I can understand not wanting to do Radford because Mike Rhoades and Mike Jones coached together here. But why not Liberty? Top 100 program lately and a only 2-3 hour drive away.
because their values are against everything we stand for. I think the AD knows if we schedule a H/H with them then there will be a huge stink from alumni, and rightfully so.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
How about Home and Home's with Liberty and Radford?

I can understand not wanting to do Radford because Mike Rhoades and Mike Jones coached together here. But why not Liberty? Top 100 program lately and a only 2-3 hour drive away.
Liberty, HECK no.

Radford would be fine though. I could see that one happening.

Reactions: northernvatiger

TAEKWONDO

Insider
May 22, 2019
There are over 300 Division 1 schools playing college basketball, and with the exception of about 30 schools VCU should be able to get a home and home. VCU has a nationally know name, and it would be a nationally televised TV game. There is a reason that you have a VCU - UNLV matchup in the MWC - A10 challenge next year, and it is name recognition in college basketball.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM