Attendance. What can be done in near term?

Yosi Ram

Elite Member
Hope everyone had a nice holidays and is ready for the start of A-10 play!

I want to have a debate/discussion on what can be done in the near term (i know the cost of season tickets, history of ticket fee, increased RAF levels etc) to increase attendance. From logging on the ticket portal there must be over 1,000 tickets available for the opener tomorrow--i know students are on break etc, but I think it's disappointing given the size of the university, alumni base in Richmond etc we can't fill the joint for the A-10 opener

I'd say given the lack of alumni in area, size of school etc. Richmond actually does a much better job.

I have some hypotheses/ideas that I'll contribute later on but appreciate any thoughts/commentary.

Yosi

Havoc2Ut2

Elite Member
Show up for the games. What else do you have to do on Wednesday nights?

VCU Heel

Elite Member
If you believe the official attendance numbers, then I’ve got some swampland in Arizona to sell you.

There’s zero chance our actual attendance has been better than SLU and Dayton. And the rest of the conference isn’t great for attendance to begin with.

If you’ve actually been in the arena for a game, then the decrease in attendance would be very noticeable to you. And what really matters is how we’re doing compared to our own standards, not other teams in the conference/country. It’s hard to give away tickets these days.

If you believe the official attendance numbers, then I’ve got some swampland in Arizona to sell you.

There’s zero chance our actual attendance has been better than SLU and Dayton. And the rest of the conference isn’t great for attendance to begin with.

If you’ve actually been in the arena for a game, then the decrease in attendance would be very noticeable to you. And what really matters is how we’re doing compared to our own standards, not other teams in the conference/country. It’s hard to give away tickets these days.

So VCU cheats on announced attendance figures, but the other more honest A10 programs don't? The Rams' attendance of about 7,100 per opening is remarkable considering the mediocre to poor nature of the opposition. Looking for 7,000-ish Saturday, New Year's Eve, for a 2 p.m. game against a down in the dumps LaSalle outfit. The "C" in VCU is short for Complaining, at least among a spoiled rotten for decades fan base.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
This why you need someone with vision beyond the present. It's the same reason there is discussion around the staff. Just a few short years ago, expansion of the Stu was the topic of discussion. My concern is we don't address the things that some don't see is that we will be lookin for a 5k seat facility and not a 9.5k seat arena

VCU Heel

Elite Member
So VCU cheats on announced attendance figures, but the other more honest A10 programs don't? The Rams' attendance of about 7,100 per opening is remarkable considering the mediocre to poor nature of the opposition. Looking for 7,000-ish Saturday, New Year's Eve, for a 2 p.m. game against a down in the dumps LaSalle outfit. The "C" in VCU is short for Complaining, at least among a spoiled rotten for decades fan base.
We aren’t remotely close to 7100 per game this season. When was the last game you attended? Be honest.