Attendance. What can be done in near term?

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
There can be an argument for going and not going. We try to get to the Stu at least once a season because it’s home. After we gave up our season tickets a couple years after moving to Florida we used to still try to make two to four games but the last couple times we went, my wife said it felt different so we dropped to once a year and picked up a couple more road games. I really like road games because often local alums will have something, the Ram fans seem more connected and opposing fan bases can be fun. We absolutely love going to Davidson. This year despite the loss, we loved Memphis. From the minute we hit the hotel lobby, locals were saying hey thanks for coming but we are going to kick you a$$. We laughed and then after the game while buying us drinks several reminded us of how they kind our , well you know. Point is people will come out for the right experience. The on the court product will get them in the door but the experience will keep them coming back

SteveMM

Elite Member
For the record, we have season tickets and only miss games when absolutely necessary. We are fanatics, however. People who are less fanatical may just figure it's (a lot) cheaper, more comfortable, and less troubling from a viral perspective to stay home, when in previous years they may have come to the game. It's a fact that those people exist, and there are FAR more of them I suspect than people who are insulted by a nothing-burger like going to see a public protest at a monument to a Confederate general.

VAHills

Elite Member
Movies are expensive, but I like a good communal experience (like VCU basketball games). Avengers Endgame in a packed theater on opening night was an awesome experience. But generally most movies are just fine to watch at home.

Implementing/charging season ticket holders a $250 seat fee, in addition to the price of the tickets and RAF donation, in the middle of a world wide pandemic is not the smartest move an athletic department could/should make. Yet the VCU athletic department had no problem moving forward with that decision. The VCU athletic department priced fans out of buying season tickets more so than fans just deciding to stay home.
The $250 RTP fee increase was only for B&G. Higher level donors did not have to pay anymore. The B&G was the only level increased and that $750 was almost double the previous $1,000 amount. There were only about 2,000 season tickets sold by July 31.

Movies are expensive, but I like a good communal experience (like VCU basketball games). Avengers Endgame in a packed theater on opening night was an awesome experience. But generally most movies are just fine to watch at home.

Other benefits/sarc of watching at home is getting to watch the exciting ending of an SEC women's gymnastics competition even if it extends over the start of the game. Who cares? We usually come out slow anyway. Then, if you record to watch later, successfully avoiding spoilers, and then have the last few minutes of the game cutoff because it went long.

Bluey

Elite Member
Insider
This is a stupid thread IMO, and I've stayed out of it until now. But I thought I'd post this clip from 14-6 Cincinnati's home game vs 14-5 Memphis.

the crowd size could have something to do with the Bengals playing a kind of important game today. I think your point has merit, but this might not be the best example of how other notable programs have attendance issues.

DNB

Elite Member
Implementing/charging season ticket holders a $250 seat fee, in addition to the price of the tickets and RAF donation, in the middle of a world wide pandemic is not the smartest move an athletic department could/should make. Yet the VCU athletic department had no problem moving forward with that decision. The VCU athletic department priced fans out of buying season tickets more so than fans just deciding to stay home.
And that move was the final straw for me.

Well, US Census data shows 204,214 in 2010, 226,610 in 2020. So more like 10% than 45%, but growing nonetheless. Now if the article was the whole metro area, I don't know.
Actually, the Fan has decreased population, mainly because a lot of apartments have been turned back into single family homes. But yeah Scotts Addition seems like it should MORE than make up for the dip in the Fan

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Actually, the Fan has decreased population, mainly because a lot of apartments have been turned back into single family homes. But yeah Scotts Addition seems like it should MORE than make up for the dip in the Fan
My son has two years before college. My wife and I are thinking of moving to the fan once he is out of the house. I want to be able to walk to a bar. 🤣

My son has two years before college. My wife and I are thinking of moving to the fan once he is out of the house. I want to be able to walk to a bar. 🤣
We can walk to Mekong and the Answer, and we usually make a point of doing it when it snows.

Nothing like a warm bowl of pho on a snowy day!

Usually walking HOME from the bar is when it became a power move.

As much of downtown that has been switched to apartments it makes sense that would have that increase.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
the crowd size could have something to do with the Bengals playing a kind of important game today. I think your point has merit, but this might not be the best example of how other notable programs have attendance issues.

Wait?? The Bengals have a playoff team??!!:geek::shock:

Getting back to attendance, we once had a food truck rodeo on a closed off block, i think on Shafer Street, and that was fun for pregaming. Maybe We could do that again?
Probably not this year.
We need a change of attitude from the Athletic Department, they need to realize they need o OFFER something to fans.
Also, why not use the 5th story of the Broad Street parking deck for some type of food truck/tailgate situation?

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Elite Member
Last edited: