Attendance. What can be done in near term?

Ramlove81

Elite Member
There are so many ways of watching anything at home now that going out for such things is suffering.
While my wife and I do a lot of staying home and watching movies, it's really nice to get out to a theater with a big screen and big sound. A lot of theaters also have really cozy seats now too.
Same with basketball games, I watch them on TV because I have to. There is nothing like going to a live game. You don't get the same experience at home. Just can't compare!
I keep trying to talk my wife into moving to Richmond, hmmm... not going to happen. But when we're back in Maryland, I will venture down to Richmond and the Stu a bit more often. Can't beat watching it live!

There are so many ways of watching anything at home now that going out for such things is suffering.
While my wife and I do a lot of staying home and watching movies, it's really nice to get out to a theater with a big screen and big sound. A lot of theaters also have really cozy seats now too.
Same with basketball games, I watch them on TV because I have to. There is nothing like going to a live game. You don't get the same experience at home. Just can't compare!
I keep trying to talk my wife into moving to Richmond, hmmm... not going to happen. But when we're back in Maryland, I will venture down to Richmond and the Stu a bit more often. Can't beat watching it live!
Dude I took my wife to the fancy theater with reclining seats and waiters once, and now she refuses to go to the regular theater

Ramlove81

Elite Member
Dude I took my wife to the fancy theater with reclining seats and waiters once, and now she refuses to go to the regular theater
Some theaters have fancy seats without having waiters and food served, but that's pretty cool too. Like dinner theater except it's a movie instead of a play.

Some theaters have fancy seats without having waiters and food served, but that's pretty cool too. Like dinner theater except it's a movie instead of a play.
The food is mid, and they serve cocktails in plastic glasses.
But it's comfy and kind of fun.
And the little arm rest between seats flips up for a cuddle.

ISwamRam

Elite Member
We can walk to Mekong and the Answer, and we usually make a point of doing it when it snows.

Nothing like a warm bowl of pho on a snowy day!

Usually walking HOME from the bar is when it became a power move.

As much of downtown that has been switched to apartments it makes sense that would have that increase.
If you can walk to Mekong... your handle should be "NearWestEndEd"😜

BigE

Elite Member
Cool. So were you there in 70-71 season, like me, when VCU traveled to Final Four bound Western Kentucky .... if not, maybe you don't recall Rams' freshman Greg McDougald getting a double-double, going head-to-head against Hilltoppers' all-American Jim McDaniels ... and learning later Greg played with a thumb tack stuck in his heel .... or where you there in '80, when Rams won the Sun Belt in Charlotte for their first NCAA bid .... and getting back to Richmond late and seeing, much to my delight, all the trees in Monroe Park decorated in Black & Gold colors ... were you the first SID and first to cover VCU in the Richmond papers on a regular basis? You are in way over your head.
yeah back when you only had one "n" :lol:

BradRamFan

Elite Member
This is a stupid thread IMO, and I've stayed out of it until now. But I thought I'd post this clip from 14-6 Cincinnati's home game vs 14-5 Memphis.

Man, this kid has jumped around schools like a mexican jumping bean. None of his three moves have increased his playing time nor ppg nor just about any of his other stats. I don't know if he did himself any favors by jumping to 3 teams in 4 years.
I guess he can show that he is consistent even when traded to other teams with different schemes. But I have to wonder if freshman 15 ppg and other stats would have been better at year 4 had he stated with the first team he signed with (although I guess he jumped ship due to a coaching change at VT).
And the attendance at that game sucks.

rammad90

Elite Member
I didn't know Henrietta Lacks was a Virginian. Learn something new everyday, thanks Heel. I know she lived in turner Station in Dundalk, MD before dying and having her DNA used around the world. In Dundalk they consider her one of their own too. A monument to her is a great idea.
Yep he is correct. She was born in Roanoke and think she is buried in VA somewhere.

rammad90

Elite Member
If you believe the official attendance numbers, then I’ve got some swampland in Arizona to sell you.

There’s zero chance our actual attendance has been better than SLU and Dayton. And the rest of the conference isn’t great for attendance to begin with.

If you’ve actually been in the arena for a game, then the decrease in attendance would be very noticeable to you. And what really matters is how we’re doing compared to our own standards, not other teams in the conference/country. It’s hard to give away tickets these days.
Heel. First thanks for he Henrietta Lacks info. Second, I have been to Slu games and I think they are about as honest or dishonest as we are on fan attendance.

One thing for sure is attendance is counted based on tickets sold/give away not actual butts in seats. That's true for all teams in the A10. For example, I have 8 season ticket that I give to family and friends. I attend about 8 home games a year because I dont live in VA any more. Sadly, my family and friends dont make it to all games.

So yes you and Bigorn are both correct. We very likely are 2nd in the A10 and yes there are not as many people in that arena.

Bighorn has been around the program awhile and you have family ties as well as 4 degrees. I'd say you were both locked in and have a reason to love VCU basketball. Horns probably got you and most of us beat on actual mens BB support and tenure, you have Big horn and most of us beat on your ties to VCU as a University. You are both all good no need to compare uh, well things.

Go Rams.

rammad90

Elite Member
This is a stupid thread IMO, and I've stayed out of it until now. But I thought I'd post this clip from 14-6 Cincinnati's home game vs 14-5 Memphis.

NMollen sure you didnt post this because to the Landers Nolley II comment but the poster cast shade at the kid for transferring twice in four years. Stating his numbers havent changed. That is misleading.

First, Va Tech which the person mentions had a coaching change after his first year at Tech. Second, Penny has a habit of running guys off, or having guys transfer. Third and most importantly, his numbers have actually improved from his 2 years with Memphis and even his first year at Tech all his percentages increased as did the other categories with rebounds just a bit down and his turnovers being better.

The kid is averaging 15, 5, and darn near 3 assist at the wing. He put 5% points on his shooting average and 13 % points on his 3 post shooting average. I'd say he has improved and transferring has help and it certainly hasn't hurt him at all as he isnt a journeyman.

Heel. First thanks for he Henrietta Lacks info. Second, I have been to Slu games and I think they are about as honest or dishonest as we are on fan attendance.

One thing for sure is attendance is counted based on tickets sold/give away not actual butts in seats. That's true for all teams in the A10. For example, I have 8 season ticket that I give to family and friends. I attend about 8 home games a year because I dont live in VA any more. Sadly, my family and friends dont make it to all games.

So yes you and Bigorn are both correct. We very likely are 2nd in the A10 and yes there are not as many people in that arena.

Bighorn has been around the program awhile and you have family ties as well as 4 degrees. I'd say you were both locked in and have a reason to love VCU basketball. Horns probably got you and most of us beat on actual mens BB support and tenure, you have Big horn and most of us beat on your ties to VCU as a University. You are both all good no need to compare uh, well things.

Go Rams.