Attendance

Natty

Co-Founder
Elite Member
Insider
This deserves it's own thread...

Let's start there:

That video is from VCU v Cal U Pennsylvania...an exhibition game in 2014 I believe. That is the bar.

Obviously a number of outside factors have hurt attendance, COVID being a massively understandable huge one, the ticketing situation over the past few years being the other and I'd say politics probably in there at No.3 (please don't get into that).

BUT...getting back to that video. What's the main thing you see there filling up that huge section of the worst seats in the building?

Answer: STUDENTS

When you scan the rest of the video, you still see the patches of late-arrivers or unused sold season tickets (I'd bet those seats filled up for the most by by 5 minutes into the first half), that's very much something we're used to these last few years, although at THAT time...those tickets were 100% sold out whereas we don't have that season ticket wait list anymore. But either way, I think the key to turning around attendance outside of going on an extreme win streak and getting ranked, is attracting students/young people including STUDENT GROUPS (frats, sororities, clubs, etc etc). Also I think a HUGE opportunity to fill seats is just working with outside groups in general. Sports teams/leagues, military, etc. It's the easiest way to get several hundred other folks in the building and a great way to make new fans. But if VCU can get more students or large groups in there, they can create more demand for the other tickets too. Either way, I think the easiest way to do it if I'm Kevin Jackson in the ticket office, is finding large groups to get in the building to fill up huge corner sections of the Stu.

A quick word on ticket packages:

There are two ticket packages:

9-game package for $199 ($22.11 per ticket)
5-game package starting at $110 ($22 per ticket)

Excluding fees, that's only a $3 savings per ticket for those particular games. I just don't think that's a very enticing way to get someone to commit to the NINE worst games on the schedule. How about $15 per game in that? $18? $20 at worst? The five-game package does include one "premium game" (a $30 ticket normally) and four more whatever games. I think overall that's a better option though because you don't have to buy nine games and you can get tickets to say, VCU v Dayton or SLU, then add a great/underrated matchup against Mason, the two Manhattan and Radford ones that are included and then throw UMass or Bona in there. Either way, the point being the mini-game packages just aren't that great when you can potentially get day-of tickets that people are getting rid of for like $15 or less.

But overall, I just think it starts with students. There are soooo many student groups on campus. If I worked in ticketing that's where I'd start. Just such an easy way to get large groups of tickets accounted for. And heck, they actually sell beer at the Siegel Center now! Back when I was a student the students rolled DEEP without the option to buy alcohol. You could maybe argue "well today's students just don't care", but I can tell you as an art student back then that somehow got his punk rock friends into basketball, that all VCU students have the potential to become die hards. We just need to make it a bit of a fun option that they don't want to miss. After that, the passion will take over and it all gets so much easier.

Curious what you all think about attendance and how to get that place rockin' again...

Ramaholic

Elite Member
VCU AD has to adjust there pricing. Continuing to market and price the program as though we just came off the Final Four run is a mistake. The seating map the AD released last year for the new donation levels was a huge display of reality distortion.

Last edited:

Let's start there:

That video is from VCU v Cal U Pennsylvania...an exhibition game in 2014 I believe. That is the bar.

Obviously a number of outside factors have hurt attendance, COVID being a massively understandable huge one, the ticketing situation over the past few years being the other and I'd say politics probably in there at No.3 (please don't get into that).

BUT...getting back to that video. What's the main thing you see there filling up that huge section of the worst seats in the building?

When you scan the rest of the video, you still see the patches of late-arrivers or unused sold season tickets (I'd bet those seats filled up for the most by by 5 minutes into the first half), that's very much something we're used to these last few years, although at THAT time...those tickets were 100% sold out whereas we don't have that season ticket wait list anymore. But either way, I think the key to turning around attendance outside of going on an extreme win streak and getting ranked, is attracting students/young people including STUDENT GROUPS (frats, sororities, clubs, etc etc). Also I think a HUGE opportunity to fill seats is just working with outside groups in general. Sports teams/leagues, military, etc. It's the easiest way to get several hundred other folks in the building and a great way to make new fans. But if VCU can get more students or large groups in there, they can create more demand for the other tickets too. Either way, I think the easiest way to do it if I'm Kevin Jackson in the ticket office, is finding large groups to get in the building to fill up huge corner sections of the Stu.

Excluding fees, that's only a $3 savings per ticket for those particular games. I just don't think that's a very enticing way to get someone to commit to the NINE worst games on the schedule. How about $15 per game in that? $18? $20 at worst? The five-game package does include one "premium game" (a $30 ticket normally) and four more whatever games. I think overall that's a better option though because you don't have to buy nine games and you can get tickets to say, VCU v Dayton or SLU, then add a great/underrated matchup against Mason, the two Manhattan and Radford ones that are included and then throw UMass or Bona in there. Either way, the point being the mini-game packages just aren't that great when you can potentially get day-of tickets that people are getting rid of for like $15 or less.

But overall, I just think it starts with students. There are soooo many student groups on campus. If I worked in ticketing that's where I'd start. Just such an easy way to get large groups of tickets accounted for. And heck, they actually sell beer at the Siegel Center now! Back when I was a student the students rolled DEEP without the option to buy alcohol. You could maybe argue "well today's students just don't care", but I can tell you as an art student back then that somehow got his punk rock friends into basketball, that all VCU students have the potential to become die hards. We just need to make it a bit of a fun option that they don't want to miss. After that, the passion will take over and it all gets so much easier.

Curious what you all think about attendance and how to get that place rockin' again...
Excellent analysis. Do you know where the seats are for the packages? I am asking the UGs in my Fraternity to start attending.

VCU AD has to adjust there pricing. Continuing to market and price the program as though we just came off the Final Four run is a huge mistake. The seating map the AD released last year for the new donation levels was a huge display of reality distortion.
reality distortion is the perfect description!

Ramaholic

Elite Member

Let's start there:

The high mini-pack pricing may be high to protect the season ticket holders who bought at even higher valuations. If the Stu doesnt fill up this year, the AD is going to have to make a decision on pricing/ donation levels for the next few years.

Mercury

Elite Member
Outside of a big tournament run I'm not sure the students are coming back This isn't a problem unique to VCU as student attendance has been trending downward in both collegiate football and basketball. When we were students 99% of the games didn't come on TV so we had no choice but to watch in person if we wanted to follow the program. If I could have split a 30 pack of Beast with my friends and watched the game on TV I'd probably have done that sometimes too.

The Stu was sold at 90% capacity last season with mask and covid concerns. Will be interesting to see if we dip below that this year.

VCU AD has to adjust there pricing. Continuing to market and price the program as though we just came off the Final Four run is a huge mistake. The seating map the AD released last year for the new donation levels was a huge display of reality distortion.
Price must be adjusted for quality of OOC schedule. We must motivate people to come see Rams play teams we should be favored to beat by 10-20 points. Sell ticket packages for top 6 A10 teams and those games would be sold out quickly.

Ramdog

Elite Member
Considering you could fill up the student section with a very small% of the student body…that would be the place to start…place has a total different atmosphere when the student section is full

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
You know I'm not gonna make excuses for fans and there were a few that probably need to check their fan hats, but I'm seeing that kickers playoff game was jam-packed, we share a fanbase with them (I mow for a kickers exec), and a LOT of people are sick right now.

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
You wanna get students back in there..... I'd be willing to bet.... If you did away with the stupid Student Ticket System BS and go back to the way it was pre-final 4... you'd instantly get more students? How Many?... Who knows.... but why do I say there'd be an increase right away?

Simple.... now instead of having to claim your ticket for the Manhattan game.... days or weeks in advance like they make students do for some games.... Now all you gotta do is get in line outside the STU.

Now sure, the negative to that is... if we were to get enough students showing up... then we could end up having students turned away at the door. But it doesn't look like that'll be an issue right now.

Sure... I know all the big Basketball schools use Ticket Claim Systems of some sort....but NEWS FLASH.... WE AREN'T THEM. Even after going to the Final 4 & the massive increase in student population & fan support for VCU Basketball on all levels... we still paled in comparison to the Duke, UNC, Florida, Gonzaga, UCLA's... etc. of the CBB world.

But by doing away with the ticket claim system... students can show up, wait in line & get into the game. And if we get to the point that students are getting turned away at the door again.... well you know what? Welcome to the real world where everyone is competing with each other. When I was student at VCU... most of the Rowdy Rams set up their class schedules around VCU BBall so that they didn't miss too many game... or so that they were done by a certain of day, so that they could drop off their stuff in their car & go to the games.

Sure not everyone has that luxury.... but not everyone has the luxury of claiming tickets to a VCU game... Days or Weeks in advanced either.

The problem with the ticket claim system is you gotta claim them well in advance... what if something comes up last minute? Now you gotta send your ticket back... and there's very little time to notify any other students who might want that ticket.

Also, is the student ticket system lottery based? Or is it first come first serve? Cause I've heard both over the years.... do away with it all together & make people line up outside the STU before games. Where it's first come first serve, all you gotta do is be in line when the doors open & be one of the first however many students.

Also the Rowdy Rams could prob use a Rowdy Alumni Coach of sorts to help give them ideas on how to branch out & get more students involved. I know several Rowdy Alums who would be willing to work with them.... myself included.

Mercury

Elite Member
You wanna get students back in there..... I'd be willing to bet.... If you did away with the stupid Student Ticket System BS and go back to the way it was pre-final 4... you'd instantly get more students? How Many?... Who knows.... but why do I say there'd be an increase right away?

Simple.... now instead of having to claim your ticket for the Manhattan game.... days or weeks in advance like they make students do for some games.... Now all you gotta do is get in line outside the STU.

Now sure, the negative to that is... if we were to get enough students showing up... then we could end up having students turned away at the door. But it doesn't look like that'll be an issue right now.

Sure... I know all the big Basketball schools use Ticket Claim Systems of some sort....but NEWS FLASH.... WE AREN'T THEM. Even after going to the Final 4 & the massive increase in student population & fan support for VCU Basketball on all levels... we still paled in comparison to the Duke, UNC, Florida, Gonzaga, UCLA's... etc. of the CBB world.

But by doing away with the ticket claim system... students can show up, wait in line & get into the game. And if we get to the point that students are getting turned away at the door again.... well you know what? Welcome to the real world where everyone is competing with each other. When I was student at VCU... most of the Rowdy Rams set up their class schedules around VCU BBall so that they didn't miss too many game... or so that they were done by a certain of day, so that they could drop off their stuff in their car & go to the games.

Sure not everyone has that luxury.... but not everyone has the luxury of claiming tickets to a VCU game... Days or Weeks in advanced either.

The problem with the ticket claim system is you gotta claim them well in advance... what if something comes up last minute? Now you gotta send your ticket back... and there's very little time to notify any other students who might want that ticket.

Also, is the student ticket system lottery based? Or is it first come first serve? Cause I've heard both over the years.... do away with it all together & make people line up outside the STU before games. Where it's first come first serve, all you gotta do is be in line when the doors open & be one of the first however many students.

Also the Rowdy Rams could prob use a Rowdy Alumni Coach of sorts to help give them ideas on how to branch out & get more students involved. I know several Rowdy Alums who would be willing to work with them.... myself included.

The claim system isn't going anywhere. It lets the AD how many student tickets they can sell to folks that actually want to go to the games. Pointing blame at the system instead of the students is cop out. The students aren't there because they don't want to be not because of a ticketing system.

Last edited:

RowdyPkunk

Elite Member
The claim system isn't going anywhere. It lets the AD how many student tickets they can sell to folks that actually want to go to the games. Pointing blame at the system instead of the students is cop out. The students aren't there because they don't want to be not because of a ticketing system.
Yeah & when we had a sell out streak going... it made sense..... right now we got a lot of empty seats

duncanlamb

Elite Member
If stu attendance is equivalent to Eagle Bank Arena...there's a problem.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
Give me a break with the price argument. Those packages are CHEAP. Show me any decent event in town that’s cheaper. $22 for a seat is less than what you’ll pay to go to most concerts, sporting events, amusement parks, escape rooms, etc.

The problem we have is apathy and a bit of a spoiled fanbase. I’m not happy with the missed tournaments and the less than stellar OOC schedule, but I’m still showing up and trying to fill my 4 seats for every game. If something comes up and I can’t go, then I’m going to try to make sure that someone else wearing VCU gear is using my seats… even if I have to give them away. It’s too bad than a couple thousand other people aren’t willing to do the same.

Mercury

Elite Member
Yeah & when we had a sell out streak going... it made sense..... right now we got a lot of empty seats

Having empty student seats is more reason to have the system. Sell those GA seats to people who want to watch VCU basketball. You just want to lay blame to the system because you don't like it. Students don't go to games now but you think removing the only system that they know and have people wait in line before the game will bring them back? Cmon man