Band discussion!

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I like the band, but the past four or so years the advertisements and promotions have taken over and given the band less show time. As someone who has family that works at Woodfin, I understand promotions and I don’t resent them. It’s the price you pay with success.

I’ll be happy as long as the band goes hard in Brooklyn and when the hey song is being played they point towards different pockets of VCU fans.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
I have no idea what games you are all attending, but the VCU Peppas are no longer one of the best bands in the nation. We're good, not great. Remember when fans from the visiting teams used to be amazed by the Peppas? Remember when ESPN talked about the Peppas? Remember when opposing coaches talked about the band during their postgame pressers? Those things don't happen anymore, and it's not just because of the promotions.

That said, it doesn't really matter. Ryan is gone and he isn't coming back.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
I have no idea what games you are all attending, but the VCU Peppas are no longer one of the best bands in the nation. We're good, not great. Remember when fans from the visiting teams used to be amazed by the Peppas? Remember when ESPN talked about the Peppas? Remember when opposing coaches talked about the band during their postgame pressers? Those things don't happen anymore, and it's not just because of the promotions.

That said, it doesn't really matter. Ryan is gone and he isn't coming back.
I mean, what bands out there are you claiming blows us away? In my ~16 years of watching college basketball live I can only think of one band I have seen in person that I feel could go toe to toe with ours.

dbt

Top Member
Jun 22, 2016
It's been said before but adding Tweezer Reprise would electrify The STU.

Reactions: Goop

dbt

Top Member
Jun 22, 2016
Keep up the good work, Peppas! While we're adding to their repertoire, lets get some Santos-Silva hype music/chants!

Reactions: Linda Knight

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
Overall I think the band is still pretty good.

My only "complaint" is sometimes the timing of songs & what not.

1st thing is, I think we should always do the "this is our house..." chant when the opposing team is running out on to the floor.

Otherwise, I think we just gotta better time the key songs that get everyone into the game War Song, Hey song... etc. Don't do them when we're forced to call a timeout cause the opponent went on a run.

I think the biggest difference is.... Ryan did the War Song, Hey song... etc. pretty much impromptu. Whenever he felt the time was right because we went on a big run & forced the opponent to call a timeout.... etc. Where as with the current guy, I think they just do a set ordered list & roll with it, no matter the timing or scenario in the game.

Dec 2, 2012
Overall I think the band is still pretty good.

My only "complaint" is sometimes the timing of songs & what not.

1st thing is, I think we should always do the "this is our house..." chant when the opposing team is running out on to the floor.

Otherwise, I think we just gotta better time the key songs that get everyone into the game War Song, Hey song... etc. Don't do them when we're forced to call a timeout cause the opponent went on a run.

I think the biggest difference is.... Ryan did the War Song, Hey song... etc. pretty much impromptu. Whenever he felt the time was right because we went on a big run & forced the opponent to call a timeout.... etc. Where as with the current guy, I think they just do a set ordered list & roll with it, no matter the timing or scenario in the game.
You can't have the Cheerleaders, dancers, band, and the marketing department in charge of promotions all just change the order of when they do things because the band leader decides its a good time to play Rock and Roll part 2.

Watch at the game, all those parts have to work together to get the song and dance/cheer involvement, they are all getting ready to do it BEFORE the time out is called, so the court can be cleared by the time the time out is done.

I really dont think Ryan called audibles and changed that part of the program like people claim he did. Unless they are thinking back to before we had all the games on TV.

Is anyone going to share video of the cheer leaders going "Oh snap, not doing the Hey Song because VCU had two turnovers back to back" and stopping mid scramble while the band switched to something else?