Band discussion!

Dec 2, 2012
They've done it before. A few years ago there was a Papa John's Shootout contestant who did a dunk instead of the initial layup, and it truly was glorious.
years ago they had some woman who was a ringer, and she hit the three and got the whole place pizza, and I think she was wearing cowboy boots.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
James Brown aint walking through that door! Cab Calloway aint walking through that door! George Clinton aint walking through that door!
Back in the 90's (96? 97?)when I was a student? George Clinton and P Funk All Stars played AT UofR.....That memory has HAUNTED me on so many levels because WHY?!?!? George Clinton and the P Funk All Stars were the MOST VCU thing ever!!! Why there?? Who booked them?? Were they trolling us??? Did a VCU person infiltrate their student council and book them to troll the spiders??? Did the band reach out to the wrong school???
so many unanswered questions.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Is it just me or does almost every single person picked out of the crowd to shoot look like they have never touched a basketball?
THIS x 1000

But..... I have to admit, I was picked to shoot the PapaJohns shootout on senior night 2012 vs Mason. That was my freshman year at VCU and also the night Bradford Burgess tore F-Mason and Paul Hewitt's A$$ open for running on the court during his senior night moment. It's crazy, F-Mason was pretty solid that year and they have not recovered. Anyways, I made a layup on my first attempt, made a free throw on my second attempt, and then went 0-11 from 3-point land including 2 air balls. And the worst problem is, I'm a good three point shooter. My old man sits 5 rows behind the opponents bench and I could hear him yelling "air-ball" constantly.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
The atmosphere has certainly suffered since Ryan's departure. It's not even close. The band is still good but it's definitely lacking an organic feel that Ryan brought. It is no longer hailed by announcers as "The Best Pep Band in the world” anymore. Also the band is severely lacking in new material. When Ryan was there it was a show unto itself. It was suddenly cool to be part of the band. Players, opposing fan bases, and even referees couldn't take their eyes off the band at times. Nowadays, while good, it's just kind of background music.

Last edited:

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
The atmosphere has certainly suffered since Ryan's departure. It's not even close. The band is still good but it's definitely lacking an organic feel that Ryan brought. It is no longer hailed by announcers as "The Best Pep Band in the world anymore." Also the band is severely lacking in new material. When Ryan was there it was a show unto itself. It was suddenly cool to be part of the band. Players, opposing fan bases, and even referees couldn't take their eyes off the band at times. Nowadays, while good, it's just kind of background music.
Ryan had his issues, mainly ego. However, he did put on quite a show. As you state, we were the "Best Pep Band College Basketball" if not all of Basketball.

IMO Ed and Ryan got into a pissing match which resulted in losses for both. Tough part is the fans and program suffered the most. The Band was a integral part of the Havoc atmosphere and brand.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2011
We definitely miss Ryan and for lack of a more articulate way to put it, "the edginess" that he brought to the band and the arena. I always thought The Peppas, under Ryan's leadership, had a certain vibe that just felt like VCU was supposed to feel. It was different than any other pep band. I suspect that the musicians in the band today are every bit as talented today as they were back then. However, the delivery of the music, the enthusiasm, and the adrenaline of the Ryan led Peppas just felt different.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
You can't have the Cheerleaders, dancers, band, and the marketing department in charge of promotions all just change the order of when they do things because the band leader decides its a good time to play Rock and Roll part 2.

Watch at the game, all those parts have to work together to get the song and dance/cheer involvement, they are all getting ready to do it BEFORE the time out is called, so the court can be cleared by the time the time out is done.

I really dont think Ryan called audibles and changed that part of the program like people claim he did. Unless they are thinking back to before we had all the games on TV.

Is anyone going to share video of the cheer leaders going "Oh snap, not doing the Hey Song because VCU had two turnovers back to back" and stopping mid scramble while the band switched to something else?
When the Band plays, when the Cheerleaders & Gold Rush Dancers go out on the court, and all the promotions are all scheduled before the game yes.... usually at the Under 16, Under 12, Under 8, Under 4 timeouts... etc.

But you also have to factor when coaches call time outs & such. And you don't think Ryan called the shots on what songs the band played & when? HA!

I used to sit in the Rowdy section for my years as a student at VCU.... and whenever we forced the other team to call a timeout.... if it was the Peppas turn to play... He most certainly picked a song to get the crowd pumped..... Where as if we were forced to call a timeout because our opponent went on a big run.... he usually got the peppas to play one of their other songs. Ryan knew when to play certain songs and when not to.

Playing the War song, after our opponent goes on a 10-0 makes absolutely no sense.... cause clearly they do wanna go to war with us if they go on a 10-0 run. And, yet I've heard our current band director play the War song right after a run by our opponent.... again. It makes no sense.

Athletics may tell the Peppas when to play.... but they don't tell them what songs to play. That is determined by the Band Director. The only thing Athletics may say is what songs not to play.... for example "F*** You" by Cee-Lo Green. I'm sure we all remember that situation lol.

So yes... Ryan did call "audibles of sorts" both when we were in the CAA only on TV a couple times of year.... and when we joined the A10 when we were on all the time.

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
We definitely miss Ryan and for lack of a more articulate way to put it, "the edginess" that he brought to the band and the arena. I always thought The Peppas, under Ryan's leadership, had a certain vibe that just felt like VCU was supposed to feel. It was different than any other pep band. I suspect that the musicians in the band today are every bit as talented today as they were back then. However, the delivery of the music, the enthusiasm, and the adrenaline of the Ryan led Peppas just felt different.
Well said. Musician's and Artist's for the most part are Divas it goes with the calling. Ryan wasn't different and he wasn't alone in that aspect. The IMO, the AD. should have worked with the guy.

IMO VCU/the Program lost more than Ryan.

Last edited:

RamCrazy

Top Member
Insider
Mar 13, 2011
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but one of my biggest gripes this season is that the band doesn't start playing the VCU fight song until the team is already on the court. Consistently late. I don't get it.
It’s like they play totally by script and without a clue as to what’s going on in the game. Not really the point of a pep band.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
When the Band plays, when the Cheerleaders & Gold Rush Dancers go out on the court, and all the promotions are all scheduled before the game yes.... usually at the Under 16, Under 12, Under 8, Under 4 timeouts... etc.

But you also have to factor when coaches call time outs & such. And you don't think Ryan called the shots on what songs the band played & when? HA!

I used to sit in the Rowdy section for my years as a student at VCU.... and whenever we forced the other team to call a timeout.... if it was the Peppas turn to play... He most certainly picked a song to get the crowd pumped..... Where as if we were forced to call a timeout because our opponent went on a big run.... he usually got the peppas to play one of their other songs. Ryan knew when to play certain songs and when not to.

Playing the War song, after our opponent goes on a 10-0 makes absolutely no sense.... cause clearly they do wanna go to war with us if they go on a 10-0 run. And, yet I've heard our current band director play the War song right after a run by our opponent.... again. It makes no sense.

Athletics may tell the Peppas when to play.... but they don't tell them what songs to play. That is determined by the Band Director. The only thing Athletics may say is what songs not to play.... for example "F*** You" by Cee-Lo Green. I'm sure we all remember that situation lol.

So yes... Ryan did call "audibles of sorts" both when we were in the CAA only on TV a couple times of year.... and when we joined the A10 when we were on all the time.
As bad as the Cee-Lo Green thing may have been, it was still kind of cool as it added to the fan experience. It was almost interactive with Ryan and the band with those things he brought. The atmosphere was Havoc in itself. It was a reflection of the way we played. Both the team and the crowd/Peppas were the Broad Street Bullies. It was an identity. I would tell people who had never experienced a game at the Stu “If you think we just play Havoc, wait until you experience Havoc in the stands.” I wouldn’t say that to anyone these days, although it’s still a good place to catch a game and still a good time. The band still sounds good. It’s just a lack of feeling.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
It’s like they play totally by script.
Ding ding ding! Goes back to what I was saying about poorly time song choices.

Also going off of what @MattRock said (althought not band related).... remember when the opponents used to come out first... then the Rams come out last? Why did we switch this? And why did we start coming out with 4 or 5 minutes... when it used to be under 2.... everyone would go hit a layup or FT and then get in the huddle.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
As bad as the Cee-Lo Green thing may have been, it was still kind of cool as it added to the fan experience. It was almost interactive with Ryan and the band with those things he brought. The atmosphere was Havoc in itself. It was a reflection of the way we played. Both the team and the crowd/Peppas were the Broad Street Bullies. It was an identity. I would tell people who had never experienced a game at the Stu “If you think we just play Havoc, wait until you experience Havoc in the stands.” I wouldn’t say that to anyone these days, although it’s still a good place to catch a game and still a good time. The band still sounds good. It’s just a lack of feeling.
Totally Agree, I loved it, the little bit of time we got to do it.... under Ryan, they also had a "Miley Cyrus" come out & sing Vocals to Wrecking Ball.... another song I have not heard them play in a while.

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
Well said. Musician's and Artist's for the most part are Divas it goes with the calling. Ryan wasn't different and he wasn't alone in that aspect. The IMO, the AD. should have worked with the guy.

IMO VCU/the Program lost more than Ryan.
Agreed. I don’t understand why you wouldn’t want to max out every detail of your program to include game day experience. You have an incredible creative/personality in Ryan which brings a unique experience at home games. You’ve got to figure out how to keep it rolling.